007

Passerby

“I’m home.”

 

Heechul walks in and when he realizes he was greeting no one, he chuckles. He forgot about it once again. Regularly, the one who he greets is either his sister, Jiwon, his younger brother Siwon or either both of their parents. Even though they’re in their mid 20’s they’re still living together as whole.

The lights are automatically switched on and that’s when he realizes he’s been living in a very large house but feels lonely instead. The family has been very busy with their personal schedule and almost had no time to gather as a whole family. Now minus Siwon, everything seems different.

Heechul lie himself down on the comfortable sofa, closing his tired eyes. Minutes has passed by until he groaned when he heard his phone rings. Who dares to disturb his peaceful time? He looks at the caller’s name and when he recognizes the name, he sits right up and immediately answers the phone.

“Donghae, what’s wrong?”

“Hyung, I found him.”

Heechul’s breath hitched and he almost dropped his phone due to his fretfulness. “Yah fish, this better not be a joke. I’m really tired right now. Don’t try to sound so concern about it. If you want to comfort me then do your job properly and find him.”

“This is not a joke hyung. I found him, your brother, Choi Siwon.” Donghae paused, “He’s…really in hospital.”

“Is he okay? Why is he in hospital? Is he ill? How’s his condition?” Heechul asked nervously, his voice is trembling like an earthquake.

“He’s... Hyung, it’s quite complicated.” Donghae sighs, “But don’t worry about it, he’s alive. I’ll tell you everything when we arrive there in Seoul tomorrow.”

“You stay where you are with him. I’m going there by myself.”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea, Hyung, just wait for us.” Donghae insist however, Heechul did not fail to notice a trouble tone from Donghae.

“Why? Is something wrong with him?” Heechul asked and he could hear Donghae speaking to someone over the phone. “Is Siwon there? Hand over your phone. I want to talk to him.”

“I can’t hyung, I’ll call you later.” Thus, Donghae hung up the phone.

Hearing the news that his younger brother is indeed alive gives him a huge relieve. After Siwon is missing nearly for six months, he can finally come back to where he belongs. Not to mention Donghae’s suspicious act over the phone. What made him to refuse giving the phone to Siwon so he could talk to him? And what made Siwon to be in hospital? But, why was Donghae sounds so confused after finding out Siwon’s whereabouts? Questions were yet to be answered until he can meet the two of them tomorrow.

Nevertheless, what’s important is that he can finally have his baby brother back home.

 

 

Trembling, he pushes his cold hands to his warm jacket pockets.

Kyuhyun move his gaze to his surroundings and lastly, the clear starless night sky. He never thought he would be gone this long, what do you expect when everything was unplanned? He gives a short bitter laugh as he’s holding his tears from falling. Still, before he goes home he wants to visit Siwon because he must be waiting for him.

 

Right now he just needs to see Siwon.

He needs to, no matter what and perhaps this will be the last time seeing him.

 

As if someone skipped a scene from a movie, Kyuhyun is now standing in front of Siwon’s room. The surroundings are quiet once again unlike what he feels outside, it really depict how he feels right now. From a near distance he did not hear anything. His intuition tells that Siwon might be asleep. His hands are reaching out the door but now he realizes how heavy it was because usually hesitation comes first.

Slowly with his unknowingly trembling hand, he slides the door and takes a step inside. Yet surprisingly, he could see two figures ahead. One who’s sitting on the bed is Siwon, and other one who’s sitting on the sofa is Donghae. Nervously he closed the door and walk towards them with his heavy legs.

“I’m back...” Kyuhyun greets.

“Oh…You’re back?” Siwon said without looking at Kyuhyun and this time with no smile.

“I’m sorry, it’s quite late...Donghae, you’re here too?” Kyuhyun asked but Donghae just look at him.

“Kyuhyun, just in case… I want to ask you something.” Siwon paused and takes a deep breath, finally locking his eyes with Kyuhyun. “Donghae is a detective… and he has a duty in search for someone…But, he said I’m the person he’s been looking for. Do you think that is true? Do you know something about it?”

Kyuhyun’s legs begin to feel weak that he places his right hand on top of the drawer in case if he really fell. Did Donghae told Siwon about it?

“Siwon…” Kyuhyun called his name under his breath.

“What do you mean? Why are you asking him?” Donghae stands and ruffle his hair in frustration, “It’s true when it’s true! You are Choi Siwon! One and only one! The person I’ve been searching for! I can’t be wrong can’t I? Impossible, your face and the guy on the picture matches really well. Just how many more proofs do I need to show you-“

“No…Kyuhyun,” Siwon almost raised his voice. “It isn’t true was it? I’m not the Choi Siwon he’s searching for…right? He said the Choi Siwon he’s been looking for has brother and sister…”

Kyuhyun knows lying won’t help anymore. Lying hurts him. Even it has probably hurt Siwon too. In the end, every words he wanted to let out stuck in his throat. He takes a deep breath before saying the next thing,

“No…I’m sorry Siwon ah, it’s true.” Kyuhyun said, his voice trembling. “Donghae is here in search for you...”

“Wait, Kyuhyun-ssi, all these time you knew about it and you done nothing?!” Donghae asked in disbelief, “You’re hiding someone from their family…You’re making him as a missing person nearly for six months…Didn’t you know his family are searching for him everywhere?”

 

Upon hearing those, Kyuhyun weakly falls to the carpeted floor.

 

“So that’s the reason why no one has ever visited me except you… even my friends or family...” Siwon murmurs and land off from the bed, now standing in front of Kyuhyun weak figure.

Kyuhyun didn’t say anything but he could see how disappointed Siwon look.

“I don’t know whether all the things you told me were true.” Siwon place both of his hands on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and shook it, “Kyuhyun, who exactly are you?”

 

No answer.

 

“Just please answer me-!” Siwon shouts as he shook Kyuhyun harder.

Kyuhyun slaps Siwon’s hand away from his shoulder, “You got into a car accident and it happened right in front of the passersby’s... and one of them… was me. I just saved you and brought you here to hospital…When I found out that you can’t remember anything—”

“You pretended to be my lover? That was it…” Siwon nods and disappointedly smiles.

“Lover? Illness? What illness?” Donghae spoke out and covers his mouth as he realizes something off. “Car accident…Can’t remember anything…Choi Siwon …don’t tell me you’re— Amnesic?” Then he looks at Kyuhyun, “That’s why you can’t recognize the picture…”

“Kyuhyun…I would be glad…if these things weren’t true.” With that last sentence Siwon walks out of the room. Whilst Kyuhyun just sat there, after listening to Siwon’s last sentence he can’t hold back no more as tears begin to form in his eyes and slowly one by one it fell to the ground.

“Hyung, I found him.” Donghae speaks to the one behind the phone. “This is not a joke hyung. I found him, your brother. Choi Siwon….He’s… really in hospital……He’s... Hyung, it’s quite complicated. But don’t worry about it, he’s alive. I’ll tell you everything when we arrive there in Seoul tomorrow…. I don’t think it’s a good idea……Hyung, just wait for us…”

“Donghae-ssi… about my favor…” Kyuhyun stands from his crying spot, facing Donghae in his messy state.

“I can’t hyung, I’ll call you later.” Donghae hung up the phone and sighs. “What is it…Kyuhyun-ssi?”

“Please. Bring Siwon back to Seoul, safely.”

 

“Heechul hyung, it’s been a while.”

 

When Kyuhyun knows the caller’s identity, he didn’t feel like talking. As if everything that was prepared to escape from his mouth seems to be stuck on his throat. He knows the person in front of him has been staring deeply to his movements. Kyuhyun could see it from the upper corner of his eyes, even though now he’s only nervously playing with his locked hands, trying to get rid of this anxiety.

“It isn’t been a while, such a long time I guess? How’s your life here, compare to Seoul?”Heechul asked gently, like a brother asks their sibling. “You’re getting thinner from the last time I saw you...”

Kyuhyun tries to put up a smile, “Quite a time. How was everybody doing hyung? Everything’s is fine. It’s nothing... I’m just busy with work.”

Heechul nods before sipping his warm tea, but he’s not satisfied with the answer and Kyuhyun did not fail to notice. “Just like that. You got a job? What are you working?”

“I’m just a part time writer.” Kyuhyun simply said.

“Part time writer huh? Funny it doesn’t fit you.” Heechul chuckles,”...Your family...? How are they doing?” Hearing this Kyuhyun finally turns his gaze to Heechul.

“They are okay and just doing great. Thank you...for your concern, hyung.”Kyuhyun said, “I still don’t know how to reply your kindness...thank you, for suggesting me moving to Incheon.”

“No need to. I know it’s the best decision for you and your family...”Heechul said.

"But hyung, what made you to come here? For you to suddenly invite me like this…” Kyuhyun ask.

Heechul smiles, “I came here just to ask you something.”

“...What is it hyung?”

 

“Have you been meeting Siwon? Is he with you?” Kyuhyun felt like someone just dropped a plate. After all, no way Heechul would just invite him for nothing. With such question his heart skipped a beat, he widened his eyes and look back to his locked hand.

“Why? Hyung, I don’t have reasons to meet him.”

 

“That’s weird.” Heechul sighs, “Siwon has been gone for nearly six months and I thought he’s here with you. I don’t know where he went…Even the company people don’t know his whereabouts. Ah and actually, I told him where you’ve been staying because he insisted. As a hyung, I feel bad for hiding things from him. It was five months ago… He begged…and begged…So I told him that you were staying in Incheon with your family… I remember he said something of wanting to pay Incheon a visit and meet you. That’s why… I thought he stayed with you and your family. Now in the mean time, I’m temporarily replacing Siwon until he’s back… Mother is currently in hospital but father and Jiwon always pays a visit during their free time.”

“Mrs. Choi is ill?” Kyuhyun concerned. “What happened?”

“Jiwon told me Siwon and mother had a big fight. I don’t exactly know what happened since I was currently in China. We thought Siwon only needs his time alone. You know Siwon better…Whenever he’s mad he just doesn’t like anything to get in his way…But everything seems off. So I tried contacting everyone about his whereabouts. After months not hearing news from Siwon, mother fell ill.”

Kyuhyun feels like everything went inaudible. He could see Heechul talking however he can’t hear anything. The only thing that appears on his mind is the day when he witness Siwon’s accident.

Kyuhyun was on his way home by feet, when he realize drops of water started falling from the sky, he starts walking in hurry. Not bringing an umbrella he uses his bag instead to prevent getting soaked. Though it’s not that effective, at least it won’t soak his hair. It was a pretty long walk until he decided to stop by in front of the coffee shop and wait for the rain slow down.

Suddenly, he saw a car driving fast from the right and in a blink of an eye followed by screeching and crashing sound. Two cars just collided, right in front of him. Kyuhyun just watched two cars collided against each other in horror and can’t seem to believe of what he saw. He has never seen a real life car accident before so it pretty much triggers him.

“Yah, somebody call 119! Fast!” Somebody screamed and without hesitation Kyuhyun dialed 119.

“Hello? Ah yes… There was a car accident…” Kyuhyun continuously describe the accident. After finished calling, carefully, from afar he could see two unconscious figures on their seat. Kyuhyun just hoped that the ambulance will come here by any minute. He can’t see the figure clearly from the right car however when he turns his gaze to the black car on the left he furrows his eyebrows. With slow steps he approaches the black car and stopped as he sees a familiar figure.

“No…Siwon?” Kyuhyun gets nearer to the black car until he’s able to touch the broken car window. As he’s now able to see the figure clearly, his heart begins to race in fear. "What are you doing...here...? Why...Why??"

“Sir, please move back from the accident spot.” Kyuhyun struggles as he’s being pulled back by the paramedics.

 

“Please don’t! Please let me go! Siwon...”

 

Donghae just look at Kyuhyun for the last time and left the room to search for Siwon. Now it reminds him of what he and Kyuhyun talked about. That afternoon Kyuhyun said something regarding of wanting him to do a favor. So this is Kyuhyun’s favor? Does that mean Kyuhyun wanted to admit that Siwon is there and that he wants him to bring Siwon back to Seoul?

“Why…” However, he thought Kyuhyun was just a passerby of the car accident. Right now he just doesn’t like it when other things came to his mind, what he needs to do right now is to convince Siwon to go with him to Seoul and bring Siwon back to his family.