Past Chapter 14

Passerby

Kyuhyun jolted as he’s been awaken from his deep sleep by the alarm clock. His body was wrapped around with a warm blanket, making him look more like a shy larva. The blanket made him hard to straighten up himself. He tried to kick but then realized that his legs were stuck beneath the blanket. He groaned lazily and while still sleepy he rolled his body to the left resulting him to fall hard down to the floor.

He groaned and unfurls himself from the damned blanket. Finally standing straightly he then walks out from the room while rubbing his eyes. Not in a seconds later after he spotted the comfortable looking couch, he made his way there and lay down in sleeping position, hugging the cushion, eyes closing once again ready to continue his journey to the dreamland.

“You’re not going to school today?”

“Who the heck attends school on weekends?” Kyuhyun shifted as he grunts, “Its Saturday hyung…”

“Ah that’s right.” Kyuhyun could hear his hyung moving back and forth. “I’m going to Yesungie’s place today. You could go to Changmin or Minho’s house, unless you don’t mind being alone here.” Ryeowook said, “I’ve cleaned the house since I know my lazy brother never bother to clean a single speck of dust. Don’t make a mess, okay? There are foods on the fridge so heat them up when you’re hungry.”

“Yeah, thanks hyung.” Kyuhyun murmurs, “I’m not lazy… Have fun.”

“I’m going.” Kyuhyun opened his eyes as soon as he heard the door closed. The alarm clock made him unable to sleep anymore. He sat up straightly with cushion sticking to his chest, gathering his souls until he’s conscious enough to realize what had been on his mind for the past three weeks. Standing up straight he goes for a cold shower as a plan to go out for a morning walk appears.

He picked baby blue sweater and vanilla knee length pants as the clothing of the day and comb his hair upright, then ruffle it again. Sighing, he noticed his brown hair grows really fast. Should he cut them again? It wasn’t that much but the sides grew a little that he can tuck them between his ears. But it’s strange for his bangs to stay normal as it was.

After he heat and eat the food from his brother’s cooking he cleaned them shortly before leaving the house. The blue sky wasn’t that bright compared to the last time he went out and the clouds aren’t that visible either, just faint cotton ones he sees. Kyuhyun arrived at the public park, buys cola from the vending machine and sit at a vacant bench. His thoughts are wandering from what he remembered that morning, until he emptied the last sip of the canned cola and throws it to the bin.

He somehow needed a fresh air to ease his mind. Kyuhyun didn’t know why he hadn’t had a good sleep for the past three weeks, but it’s more like he’s denying the thing that has been bugging him for two weeks straight. Obviously, they are no other than what related to Siwon. Kyuhyun hasn’t meet Siwon since they last went to the beach.

What he felt at the beach was too personal. He shouldn’t have brought it emotionally between their friendships.

He wasn’t blaming Siwon for bringing him along to the beach. For finally being able to leave traces there again made him happy. It has been so long since he visited one. The last time he went there was together with his mother and brother. They used to play at the beach once a week before the sun descends into its breathtaking color. He was sure he couldn’t forget how he feels back then, he was sure he could always remember mother’s melodious voice, he was utterly sure he could constantly remember how mother looked like. Yet, he couldn’t believe half of it was gone in one step.

He feels culpable to remember Siwon’s apprehension. He should’ve kept his weariness inside and not letting them to be a burden for other people. On their way home they didn’t exchange words and went home separately. As time passed by the guiltiness grows. Kyuhyun worries for him when he wasn’t supposed to, when there should be nothing to worry about.

He wonders how Siwon is doing.

Until now, the world hasn’t given them the chance to cross path again.

“Should…Should I call him?” He always had the urge to contact the boy. For always meeting Siwon at random occasions made him think perhaps it’s better to let the universe do it thing. Letting them meet coincidentally might be a better way to avoid awkwardness once they meet again. It wasn’t like he’s expecting to meet him right now.

No, he really wants to see him. He wants to talk to him. He awfully missed Siwon and maybe he’s the only one feeling that way, to his disappointment. People said the more you are distanced from someone, the more you will miss that someone. He remembered the first time he realized that he fell for Siwon. At first it felt funny but as time passed it felt like the world has stopped but beneath him there exists a lot of ‘what ifs’. Especially that part when soon you realize you have to be honest to your feelings. Will he be given the chance say his confession to the boy? How would his friend react? Will Siwon be disgusted? Will they able to maintain their friendship once knowing one has feeling for another?

“Yah, Kyuhyun ah! You look very lonely there...” Kyuhyun look at the direction of the voice, to see a tall pretty looking man standing in red pants and white shirt. “Still remember me, boy?”

“Heechul hyung!” Heechul smile as the brightly boy calls his name and sit right next to him. “It’s been a while, how are you doing?”

“There are hectic between the good days, you? What are you doing all alone here?”

“I’m okay.” Kyuhyun nods, shifting the small stones playfully with his shoes, “Just wanting some fresh air. It’s Saturday and I don’t feel like staying at home alone.”

Heechul hummed at the answer, “Aren’t students should spend time with their friends during weekends? Go partying or clubbing?”

Kyuhyun chuckles, “I’m not into those.”

“I know. You don’t seem the type to go for that. When I was in high school I used to sneak out to clubs with my friends until father ground me for a week. It was those times you know, curiosity kills the cat. I kind of find youngsters weird nowadays. What’s with the study for 24/7? Jiwon did that and so does Siwon… They look pitiful.”

“Oh…” Now that Heechul mentioned Siwon, Kyuhyun wonders, could Siwon possibly be at the park too?

“Yah Choi Siwon!” Heechul suddenly yelled, making Kyuhyun flinch in seat, at the same time looking over to the direction where Heechul waved. Kyuhyun slightly widened his eyes as he caught the figure he wanted to see most. Choi Siwon, his perfect presence stood in the middle of people walking by. Head down and hands on his bomber jacket pocket and feet shifting on ground. “You brat, how long are you going to watch him from afar like a ert stalker? Come here!” What? How long? Watching who? Has Siwon been standing there like that watching, while he’s thinking about his feelings for him? That literally made the bomb inside him explodes. Warm cheeks and ears, he could also feel his heart beating rapidly that he looked down warily when Siwon’s eyes met his.

“To make it short, we were here because Siwon and I were giving Jiwon a company to a doll festival nearby. She wanted a limited edition doll she saw on TV yesterday. We waited for nearly an hour until she got it. But Jiwon wanted an ice cream too and now she’s waiting in the line and Siwon saw you.” Heechul explains and pat Kyuhyun on the back, “The end. Well, I’m leaving the two of you here dear.”

“Eh?” Kyuhyun stunned while Heechul just gave him a wink and leave the spot.

“Hey.” Oh crap! He doesn’t even realize Siwon is already standing in front of him. Kyuhyun stands and now they are staring at each other. “Sorry about that, hyung and his big mouth…” Kyuhyun mentally shook himself, is Siwon really in front of him right now? He tries poking Siwon’s shoulder and it’s solid. Feeling happy, he could no more contain his smile, resulting the other smiling at him too.

“So you’ve been watching me from afar? Wasting your time…You should’ve said hi. Otherwise I wouldn’t be seating alone here.” Kyuhyun puts a fake frown as he rests his hands behind.

“You look like you were waiting for someone.” Siwon admitted, “That’s why I didn’t approach you.”

“Who do you think I was waiting for?” Kyuhyun murmurs, starts walking ahead and Siwon follows behind. The two pairs are walking serenely under the blue sky behind the crowds not minding others around. They are in their different world once again. Separated from the crowd’s noises, separated from stranger’s shadows and pulling themselves deeper into their mind where thoughts of each other existed. Siwon never avert his eyes at Kyuhyun’s back as he follows the latter and wherever the way leads them to. Earlier when he was walking with Heechul and spotted Kyuhyun seated alone, he wasn’t sure whether it was his mind that tricked him or that his prayers were instantly answered. He really wanted to see the boy and to see whether he’s feeling okay. Ever since the incident at the beach, he couldn’t let Kyuhyun off his mind even for a second. Adding the pretty long time distance, it made him realize that he actually missed him. He felt guilty for making Kyuhyun sad, even though the latter tried to mask them and it’s transparent enough for Siwon to know.

Hence, he couldn’t help but to stood there as thought and once again captivated by the undeniably beautiful sight. It took him to realize what he saw was real when Heechul was already seated beside the boy and called on him, adding big talks about him staring like a ert stalker.

“How were your days?” Siwon calls as he catches up beside Kyuhyun,

“They went on as usual, you?”

“They were the opposite.”

“Hmm? Were they bad?” Kyuhyun asked, sounding concern.

“No, they’re not.”

“So… what was it that made yours the opposite?”

“It’s…About what I did …I’m sorry.”

“For what you did?” Kyuhyun look at Siwon and tilts his head. It made him waver, it doesn’t suit the topic but whenever Kyuhyun tilt his head to the side it looks adorable. To his disbelieve, it’s quite charming and mesmerizing.

“For—whatever I did that made you sad.”

“I’m just going to accept the apology even though you did nothing wrong.” Kyuhyun smiles reassuringly, “I should be the one who is sorry, for being like that. It brings back memories of my mother taking me and hyung to the beach. We would go there once a week and watch the beautiful sunset. I was too emotional. I guess I really miss my mother… You don’t have to be sorry. Thank you for taking me there.”

“I’m relieved to know that.” Now that he knows the reason, the weights on his shoulders are now lifted. But was it something compared to how Kyuhyun really felt? “I need to show you something.”

“What is it?” Siwon walks ahead and goes inside a short cut from a wall with stone patterns hidden under a tree until they arrive at a small bridge. The place looks beautiful yet there’s not a person seen. Under the bridge they’re standing there’s a small clear fishpond. While on the sides there are different kinds of flowers but most are lilies and roses.

“Where are we?” Kyuhyun asked brightly. His eyes are sparkling, just like the clear pond below.

“Do you like it?”

Kyuhyun nods, “I love it! I never knew there’s this beautiful place here!”

“This place is important for me. My grandpa made this specially for my birthday. I never show this place to anyone and have it all myself. After school I used to come here and play. Heechul and Jiwon are clueless of this place.” Siwon smiles and look around, “But I learn to realize how big this place is….”

“Yah, you’re not going to sell it are you?” Kyuhyun asked in warning tone.

“Why?”

“How could you want to sell something that your grandpa made for you?”

“I’m not selling it.” Siwon said and Kyuhyun cease his frown, “This place is big and I thought I should share it with you.”

Did Kyuhyun hear that right?

“You’re the first person I took here. Now this place is yours too. You can come here anytime you want. ” Siwon said as he ruffles Kyuhyun’s hair.

Couldn’t believe what he just heard, Kyuhyun stared at Siwon yet didn’t complain at the feel of his messy hair. Kyuhyun doesn’t know how to express his happiness when he heard that. He just stood there, watching Siwon’s figure at the same time admiring and cherishing the moment where they stood side by side in their own world.

“Siwon.”

“Hmm?”

Kyuhyun had thought about it, and came to the point that only their friendship might let him stay like this with Siwon. Even though he had to face the barriers, but as long as he could see him, talk, and spend time with him he would be okay.

He could. Despite having to wait until the right moment he could tell the truth.

“Your hand…” Siwon did as he told and Kyuhyun rest them on top of his palm. “Lend me your two minutes. I have something to tell you.”

“…”

Kyuhyun closes his eyes, “I… never regretted meeting you. Being friends with you is a blessing, Siwon. You said you were sorry for whatever you did that made me sad. You were wrong, you never made me sad. I’m…always happy whenever I’m around you. Because of you I got to know another two wonderful people, Heechul and Jiwon. You are kind and a great friend. The days I spent with you are always fun. I hope… to be a good friend to you for as long as I can be. Thank you.”

The moment when Kyuhyun open his eyes, his body lunged forward into a warm hug.

“Siwon?”

“What are you saying?" Siwon sighs.

“Huh?”

"I should be the first one to say the first two lines.” Before continuing, Siwon give Kyuhyun’s back a soft and gentle pat, “I never regretted meeting you. Being friends with you has always been a blessing for me, Kyuhyun. Thank you.”

Kyuhyun feels a painful tug on his chest and hesitantly returns the hug. He thought it would make him better, instead his tears grows and he blinks them away refraining from falling.

“Is the two minutes over?”

“No.” Siwon said as they stayed embracing each other.

“Tell me when it’s over.”

“You want to let go that much? It’s cold nowadays.”

“Oh…”

Siwon chuckles, “We have thirty seconds left.”

 

“When were these taken?"

Voice loud and clear like water yet there’s a trembling between them and a wave of disagreement pointed towards the black suited man that stood still beside her. In the living room, Jessica was seated with her legs crossed, hands holding a picture of two people walking side by side. She looks at the left figure on the picture with admiration and love, while the opposite one with jealousy and disgust.

“They were taken about two months ago.”

Siwon and Kyuhyun appear to be enjoying their time together in the crowds. There are pictures where Siwon waited in front of Kyuhyun’s school gate, smiling at each other, eating afternoon meal, waiting in the line for a roller coaster ride, resting on the bench side by side and more until she gets to see the last picture when Siwon left Kyuhyun’s house. That’s when it reaches the middle line of her patience, she abruptly stands as she tore the picture into two, continues into three and she throws it everywhere she wants.

“What’s that envelope?” Jessica pointed to the envelope on the servant’s left hand and snatched it. “Give me that.” She opened the envelope in hurry and observes the picture intently.

“The picture on the next was taken yesterday morning.” The servant informed.

“Morning? That’s early…” Jessica repeated. Her hands stopped shuffling the picture when she found one that clearly catches her attention. The two were likely holding each other’s hand and the next picture showed them hugging each other made her yelled in rage and stomps the carpet, gaining attention from other maid and servants. “How dare he steals what’s mine—Who the he thinks he is!!” Turning her head towards her servant she subsequently lands her hand hard on his cheek.

She didn’t want to believe it but it wasn’t Kyuhyun that made the move.

 

It was Siwon.

 

Jessica fumed in anger, “Are you out of your mind? Are you crazy?!! How dare you show these pictures to me this late?!!”

“Pardon me, young lady.” The servant said, “I was worried it could affect young lady’s grades since it’s about Choi Siwon… and about the next envelope, I really took the pictures yesterday morning—“

“What? What the hell do you know about me and Siwon and who are you to care about my grades?!” Jessica takes the scattered pictures by hand as she yelled and throws them to his face. “You know that I could fire you anytime I want, right? You’re nothing but a lowlife servant!! You don’t need to care about anything and do your job properly!!” The servant then sits on the floor and lowered down his head.

“I’m so sorry young lady.” The servant cried, bowing non stop. “I beg you please, please don’t fire me! I promise to do a better job for you and this household. I swear to my life I— I promise I won’t do any more mistakes!!”

“There, there.” A divergent voice appears and Jessica gives the one who made the voice a look and frowns. “You shouldn’t be that hard towards the servant… No, you shouldn’t treat servants as if they’re your dogs.” He then told the servants to leave them alone. “You can’t even clean the house or wash your own clothes. Learn to be a lady for once.”

“Shut up, Heechul.” First, she was in rage after she saw the pictures, added with the work from one of the servant that didn’t satisfy her and now, with Heechul appeared before her trying to be a hero from all these, how will she calm her burning head? “What’s your problem here?”

“Jiwon wants to take her teddy back.” Heechul approached her and pick the scattered pictures from the floor. “Kyuhyun and Siwon? They’re having a good time here.”

Then he smirks when he found the picture of Siwon and Kyuhyun hugging and shove the picture he’s holding to Jessica’s face which results the girl to slap his hand away. “You vent your anger against your servant…Tch, stalking them? Your obsession towards my little brother gives me goose bumps. It’s good anyway they’re getting pretty along. Don’t they look obvious about liking each other? I just need to wait for the news from my brother himself. But if he didn’t want to tell me, my blessings and approval will always be there for the two of them.”

“I could cut your girly mouth—!! Shut the hell up!” Jessica fired as she clenched her fist.

“Oh jealousy… You want to punch me?” Heechul crossed his arms. “If Siwon were to know what you ever did to a person, I’d like to know whether he’s going to change his mind about you.”

“I doubt Siwon oppa will believe that.” Jessica defended back. “You’re threatening me? Go ahead and try. No one will believe you. But…I’ll do the same to any person who will try to steal what’s mine. For whatever happen, Siwon oppa will end up mine. Your beautiful mother favors me most than other living things out there. Ah that reminds me…Pardon if this might sound rude…What if your mother finds out if the youngest heir of the family is dating not a girl, but a guy instead? Oh wait, aren’t the two brothers dating the same gender? How filthy! I have thought countless reasons why you were not being selected as the heir. Probably it was because you did not find a suitable match! What will happen soon if I show these pictures to my mother-in-law? As you can see parents from rich families out there favors their children who could produce good offspring—“

She didn’t even get to blink before Heechul lands his hand on her cheek. “That’s enough!” Heechul yelled and Jessica holds her red cheek, shocked by the sudden act. “You’re almost an adult and I hope you could learn how to use that mouth properly!” Heechul bent himself and whisper to Jessica’s ears. “Just a reminder my dear…Consider yourself lucky… A girl or not but a stranger to me, this oppa could just kill you right away. You don’t want to die in my hands, right? That’s because, like you said, I’m filthy.”

“How dare you—!”

“Unnie!” Jessica heard Jiwon’s voice from afar before the girl smash herself to her. “I’m here!”

“Oh…” Jiwon stands properly and forced a smile. “What are you doing here, Jiwon?”

“I want to take my teddy bear back.” Jiwon said, “I left them in your room from yesterday’s sleepover. Oh and can we play again today?”

“Sure, why not?” Jessica pats Jiwon on the head. “You can go upstairs to my room, I’ll be there later.”

“Hooray!” Jiwon jumped in victory, “Heechul oppa, you don’t have to wait for me here. You can go home. I decided to play again here.”

“Yes, Jiwon. Have fun.” Heechul forced a smile at the girl and Jiwon left to Jessica’s room.

“You heard what your little sister said.” Jessica said as she walks towards the stairs. “Leave. Your presence here is giving me nausea.”

“Jessica Jung! You…You’d do the same to the boy?” Heechul’s voices out, loud that it echoes through the living room which made Jessica to turn around.

“What should I do…?” Jessica said in monotone as she plays with her nails, “He’s a nuisance who gets in my way.”

Heechul lets out a sarcastic laugh and says, “If that’s the case…I hate to ram into this but I can’t let you take away another life! I won’t let you touch Kyuhyun because I trust Siwon with him. You know what I mean right, young lady?

“You…” Jessica hastily turned around with rage on her face. Did she just hear that right? Or, was Heechul loosing his mind? He trusted Kyuhyun with Siwon? They’ve known each other for years and Heechul trusted a boy who barely knows him for a year?

Heechul stared at her with his smirk sticking on his face, with a look that even made her head boil.

It’s the look when someone is looking forward for their entertainment.

 

She despises that look.

 

“I trust that boy more than I ever trusted you whom I known for years!” Heechul added before stepping out of the place. “Have fun with my Jiwonnie!”

“Yah! Choi Heechul!"