Past chapter 01

Passerby

Kyuhyun P.O.V

"Hyung! Your dongsaeng is home!! Will you get down?! I brought something for you!!”

I screamed on top of my lungs as I got inside the house because I’m aware at this hour he may be at his room listening to music loudly or he may be taking a bath. I placed the small bag of cheesecake I brought from his favorite pastry shop in the fridge and proceed to my room to take a bath and fix myself. 

I was supposed to stay at school until 5 in the evening but I skipped my duty and got home at 3 o clock since I’m as hell as lazy as a sleeping bear. And Ryeowook hyung soon will blurt out why I’m home early. I’m not the kind of person to bribe someone but when it comes to avoid getting nagged by my hyung, to escape from it I may have to do a little bit of effort to get what he likes, cheesecake that is.

As soon as I’m done fixing myself with casual clothes I walk to the living room to find my hyung enjoying the cheesecake I brought. Once he saw me he smile and thank me for the cheesecake. But not even a minute passed, that smile of his turns to frown.

“I let you pass only for the cheesecake. But trying to escape from your duty…Is not a good habit ok?” Forgot to tell you, I can never hide anything from him. He always caught what I done. “Did you throw your duties to Changmin?”

“Well, I kinda did it. But he likes doing those what-the-teachers-called important duties so…” I shrugs, “Besides, you know how he fonds of Victoria. Today is her duty and aren’t I a good friend?”

“Hahaha, yes.” He lets out a sarcastic laugh. We talked for only a while before I return to my room to study again the subjects I learned from school today. I never know the reason why studying at home is more comfortable than school. I don’t hate school at the same time I just don’t like how it was really different from home. Home is home, the place where I mostly spend time. I may look like someone who goes out a lot and that’s how people see and think of me. The lazy-smartass who goes around a lot with friends but the truth, it’s not like that. 

I didn’t realize it was midnight until I checked the clock. It has always been like that. I mostly spend my time either on my studies or games and never look at the time until I was satisfied with the results. Tomorrow will be the same day as today even though everyday I hope, there will be a different day to come.

Waking up was always stated in my least favorite list. Everyday I had to wake up early to catch the morning bus. The school I attend was far away from home. It’s either you wake up late, you have to wait half an hour for another morning bus plus you’ll be late for school or, wake up early and you get the morning bus. I tapped my feet on the ground while checking on my watch. When the bus arrived, I got on it made my sit on the most back seat in the left corner. 

Half hour until I arrived on the 4th bus stop near my school was quite a long time. I take out my cassette player, putting on a headset and close my eyes enjoying the windy sensation brushing my face from the opened window. It feels really fresh, as if it soothes me back to sleep. It really soothes me back to sleep until the bus stopped abruptly, causing my head to hit the window. I mourned in pain and clicked my tongue. That bus driver must be sleepy.

“Oh no!” I looked at my watch, surprised that I’m late so I sprang, leaving the bus not forgetting to pay the driver and make my run to the school. Thank you god for having a mercy on me, I got inside the school area just before last minute the school guard close the gate.

 


“The great Cho Kyuhyun is late!” Changmin points out. 

“At least the teacher hasn’t yet come. So yesterday, how was your time with Victoria?” I tease and he smacked me on the back.

“Keep your mouth smartass!” He hissed before whispering, “I asked her out yesterday and she said yes…!”

“What?! You serious?!!” I smiled. I’m amused and happy for my good friend that his long time crush agreed to go out with him, way to go Changmin. 

“You should find one too.” I think he said that bluntly. 

“As if it was easy.” I snort. “Chang, how am I suppose to find one if I never fall in love before?” That’s right, I never fall in love before. It was the truth. No matter how many girls confessed their feelings to me, I seem to never feel any sparks from it. Touched? Yes. Agreed to date? No. If I were to accept them it’s the same thing as giving them false hope to fall for them. 

“Then try to!” I feel like smacking him back.

“Tch…don’t mind about me.” I said while taking out my books but then something appears on my head. Cassette player. I looked around and checked my pocket and start digging my bag. . 

“Why? What’s wrong?” Changmin asked since I look like a desperate kid searching for a lost candy. 

I sighs. “I think I left my cassette player on the bus…” The class for today continued with me spacing out, thinking where that cassette player could have been. The player was all my mom ever left for me before she passed away and inside, there’s a CD I created that includes the track I recorded myself. Luckily the math teacher told the class whoever done their exercise could leave the room. Math problems was always been easy for me. Couldn’t wait for the dismissal bell to rang, I place the book on top of the teacher’s desk and sprang out from the classroom. The bus arrived when the time I arrived at the bus stop. Going inside it’s a fortunate to see the same bus driver from this morning.

“Good Evening mister. Perhaps, have you seen any cassette player left on the bus this morning?” 

“Cassette player? Sorry student, I didn’t seen one. Next time check your belongings before leaving the bus.”

I internally cursed and said thank you to the driver before setting myself in my usual spot, the left corner. The left corner spot used to be occupied by my mother, brother and me. When we were really young, we used to accompany mother to the market and help her bringing stuff. We love to come along with her. On our way home mother always treat us something nice. 

I missed my mother.

My brother likes chips. While me, the sweet tooth kid loves sweets especially cotton candy. There was a time when we couldn’t afford treats since the money were used to buy living needs but nevertheless, we never complained. The cassette player was mother’s and we used to bring them along and sing together on our way home. Mother sings well and I guess I inherited that from her since most people said I have a beautiful honey-like voice. Deep thoughts almost brought me to sleep until I realized the bus stopped on the last stop.

“Oh you’re home— What’s with the frown?” Ryeowook hyung asked and I brushed past him

“I’m tired and need some sleep.” I approached my room and stopped halfway as he asked,

“How about dinner?”

“Skipping it.” I was a about to say that but I realize that statement can make him mad. “I’ll eat later!”

Throwing myself to the bed immediately put me to sleep. I guess today was indeed different.

The next day on my walk towards school, to my surprise whispers of students can be heard around. It was clearly audible after arriving near the school gate. There seem to be a guy… no, that completely didn’t describe him. There seem to be a handsome guy with a black school blazer standing in front of the school gate looking up at the school’s name. He doesn’t seem to mind of the stares that has been thrown at him. The guy then take a last look before walking away however when his eyes met mine he stops. Seems like he’s about to approach me but the bell rings and I had to go inside before the gate closed. 

 

Was that guy in front of the gate possibly searching for me? But I never thought, the guy’s appearance can be such a booming topic at school.

 

“I admit. He was such handsome student.” Minho said, biting on his tuna sandwich. “Moreover, I heard he was from that prestigious school. What was it called… Sung Hyun High School?”

“Really? That’s awesome…” Changmin said, “They said everyone who attends Sung Hyun High School are damn rich and smart.”

“Maybe he wants to transfer here?” Minho assumed. I said nothing as I listened to them complimenting how great the high school that guy attends. Remembering from the uniform I saw this morning, indeed it was such an elite uniform. Simple but neat. Different from us, only that he has that expensive-looking blazer’s on. Never thought school ends fast for today. I waited the bus at the bus stop and got on the bus as soon as it arrives. 

Before I take my seat on the left corner my eyes locked on the figure seated on the right corner place. It was the Sung-Hyun-High-School- guy I saw in front of the school gate. Funny how I mentioned him as that since I’m not familiar with his name. He had his eyes locked on mine and I realize how handsome he was. Trying not to mind on that I took my seat on the usual place. I was aware that he keep staring at me and I shifted uncomfortably and decided to look out to the window instead.

Is something wrong with my face? Or my hair? The bus stayed silent, only the sound of the wheel shifted could be heard. Until the bus stopped and that’s when the guy with black blazer got out from the bus. I sigh in relieve, why do I feel tensed when he’s inside? I rest my hand on the empty space beside me and feels something on it.

My cassette player?! It finally returned to me! I was in verge of crying in happiness but then something struck me. It must be that guy who placed it beside me before he left. Who else? Since it was just the two of us here, adding the driver. If he knows this player was mine, he must’ve been into the same bus as mine on the day I left my cassette player. How come I hadn’t noticed him? You and your world Cho Kyuhyun… 

 

For a stranger...


Just to return this cassette player of mine he visited my school and waited there like a lost lamb? 


“You okay there young man?” The bus driver asked me.

“Oh— I’m totally fine! My cassette player has finally returned!”

 

“Ahh that’s good then. No wonder you are there smiling all by yourself.”