VII

Change

Eyes glimmering with excitement, slightly calloused hand moulded into yours as if it was a puzzle piece. “So Mr.Bang. What’s the plan?”

Yongguk got up to one of the rooms, retuning with two yellow cards. “Danbi, would you like to have a date with me today?”

“What’s this?” you laughed. “You’re actually taking me out”

“I’m shaking, will she say yes or no” he mocked

“Why ask when you already know the answer?” you smirked. You gaze fell to the cards in his hands and curiosity sparked your mind. What were they? Tickets?

“I’ve got some coupons for fried chicken. I’d like to take you out shopping though, if you would let me”

Is he asking for permission? “I can buy my own clothes you know”

“I do, but I’m taking you out on a date”. He leaned down closer “An actual on you know” he whispered, finishing with his signature smile.

“The day is going to go your way, right? Then what are we waiting for? I’m a picky woman-“ you answered until your phone rang. Looking at your phone you found your boss form work calling you. “Excuse me but I have to take this” you looked up to Yongguk, a defeated smile plastered on his face.

“Sure, want me to leave?”

“I didn’t say that!” You said a little too loudly. Oh god please stay you prayed despite your phone buzzing in your hand

“Then I’ll stay like this” Yongguk crawled onto the sofa and wrapped an arm around your frame, eyes on the news on TV. Despite your heart fluttering, you breathed nd picked up your phone.

“Hello?” Silence came through on the other side “Boss-”

“Do you desperately want to get fired?” the man seethed. A sour taste built up in your mouth as your boss went off at you once again. “Because I will happily get you fired if you want” you could hear him grinding his teeth over the live. Moving the phone in between you and Yongguk, time to get sassy.

“Calm down Princess. You know you can’t live without me.”

Hearing him rage over the phone is always fun, books being thrown around, him ruining his desk. A hand slammed on wood “If it were up to me you’d be out of here the moment-”

“I’m the most reliable and most efficient e-Discovery Forensic Accountant in industry. Now calm your and spill; why are you raging?”

WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE IDENTITIY THIEFT CASE?!”

You breathed through your nose, bottling your anger up for the moment. “. . . you idiot”

WHAT THE ARE YOU-”

“Didn’t your seniors ever tell you to check your cubbyhole?” you airily cut him off. You heard footsteps pace again. “Unlike many others. I had already predicted the client pulling up their deadline. I finished everything last week and left it in your cubbyhole for you to review it all.” Papers were heard in the background. He found the files and report he wanted. Pages kept flipping as he scan read your work. “It should be perfect” you commented while looking at your nails. “It always is”.

“O-oh, I see. You’ve worked hard Danbi-“

“Cut the bull crap and give me my bonus. I want a holiday”

“Still a snob”

“Still an idiot I see. Don’t you dare call me on a weekend again or I’ll make sure you’re fired”

Your boss scoffed.“Is that a threat?”

“I’m a woman of my word” you warned him before hanging up. You looked to Yongguk to see the man looking back at you. Brown orbs dancing over the expressions of your face. The softness in his expression washing a blanket of calm over you.

“A woman of your word?” You hummed in response. “So then what are we waiting for-”

Yongguk was cut off with a breaking news report- the rain had been so heavy it resulting in flood warnings, broken powerlines became a major hazard with reports of people being electrocuted by current passing in floodwaters. And Yongguk’s studio just so happens to be in Samsungdong, one of the worst hit areas due to it being so low lying by the riverbanks. Footage of shopping malls being set as emergency shelters and what not for displace people. The said man flicked the TV off.

“That makes no sense” He breathed as he neared a window to get a glimpse of the Han river.. “Um… I think you might have to stay for a while.” Walking towards the window, you couldn’t believe your eyes. Brown muddy water flowed through the street as the riverbanks burst. Water reaching past the ends of the bridge not too far.

Guess Monday’s going to be off. “Got a spare change of clothes?”

“My apartment is upstairs” the lights went out. Power cut. “But we’ll have to walk”

“How many flights?”

“We’re going to the top floor”

“God I hate stairs” you finished while grabbing your things as he laughed.

“Hey.” You stopped in you tracks to look at him. “You keep your word right?” he asked.

“Remember the kind if date I said I liked? Can we keep it to that today?”

“Your wish is my command” he smiled as he opened the front door for you.

“Can you get me a flying carpet so I don’t have to walk the stairs?” Eyebrows furrowed as Yongguk thought about that you said, a finger gently a fake scholar’s beard as he pursed his lips.

“If I carry you up, will you cook for me?” What a suggestion Yongguk, not a bad idea.

“Sounds like a decent deal-” a pair of strong arms scooped you up bridal style making you squeal as you wrapped your arms around his neck for dear life. The culprit laughed his deep laugh, had tilted back, pearly whites in a perfect row.

“Jesus, you’re like a feather” he commented, shifting you closer to his body.

“Don’t be cheezy” a blush crept onto your face as you slapped his chest lightly

“I’m not kidding, you must be what. . . 60kg?” You breathed though your nose sharply, making him smirk. “I bench press 100. You’re nothing”

“You just saved yourself”

“Seeing you sassy is entertaining”

“You’ve seen nothing yet” you laughed. Yongguk stepping up the stairs one at a time, conversation and laughter filling up the empty stairwell.