IV

Change

You were thankful you dressed comfortably your shirt dried long ago and basic makeup still in place as Yongguk payed for your meals despite your insistence of paying yourself.

“It’s the first time I’ve taken you out, and you were the one who drove” he smiled shyly before paying for your meals.

“You didn’t take me out”

“Let’s pretend I did” he winked

You scoffed “Way to be a gentleman”

“Trust me, next time I’ll bring roses with beer and chicken”

“Sounds like my kind of date”

To be honest, what was this? You questioned everything that had happened so far. You met a guy at the club, he invited you to an event, you two just had a meal together . . . everything has been so spontaneous.

Spontaneity. You took charge at every opportunity. This word is not part of your dictionary.

Then what were you two?

“Go find a book for me to read”

What the heck? No one orders you around. “Anything you like?”

“Surprise me” he called out as he entered a fiction section, you walked into the aisle down from his. Fingers grazing down leather spines, some of the most interesting books you were lost in belonged to this library. Yongguk didn’t need to look too much to find where the book for you was. You found the book you wanted him to read and head back to the chair you were wanting to read on.

“Can I ask an invasive question?” He nodded giving you the green light “Do you have a licence?” you asked a you sat down

He looked down to shake his head with an embarrassed smile on his face. “I’ve failed my driver’s test three times” he laughed. “Can I ask an invasive question?”

“Might as well return the favour”

“What is your name? And why were you thinking I was using you?”

“That’s not a question, that two questions” you laughed

“Both are invasive, aren’t they?”

“I’m Danbi, and I’m not meant to be in the spotlight. At all.” You sighed before continuing. It had to some out some day. “I’m an illegitimate child. Of whom, I can’t disclose that.”

He’ll find out soon.

“Big people, in their big world. With big problems.”

“Sounds about right” you wore a ghost of a smile.

“Right, here’s my book for you to read tonight” he said as he handed you a hard cover copy of Room by Emma Donoghue, you smirked as you accepted the book in your hands.

“I’ve been reading this book lately”. Yongguk sat up alert at your words.

“Really? Ah, I wanted it to be a surprise” he scratched his neck awkwardly. He’s cute.

“I’m like 100 pages in though. So far so good. Here’s one for you” handing him a copy of Stone Mattresses.

“Margret Atwood. I didn’t think you were into mystery novels”

“And I didn’t think you’d like novels from foreign perspectives” you relaxed into your armchair, reading though the book

“One wouldn’t usually think to that extent, but The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak was a very insightful novel simply because of the foreign perspective”

“Ah, The Book Thief. Such a good novel. I couldn’t agree more”

“Don’t you love how death is personified. It’s a story told from a metaphorical perspective”

“Beautifully crafted. It’s unbelievably relatable” you t agreed. Falling into a comfortable silence as you two continued reading your respective books. Theocassional sighs as one settled into their chair comfortably, and pages turning lasted quite a while before Yongguk spoke up.

“Any reason why mystery books? I mean, Atwood is a legend but still, on a first date” causing you to roll your eyes internally. He’s just before a reaction, isn’t he?

“Life is full of mysteries or various sorts. Atwood does a wonderful job in expanding past genres and exploring various aspects of human interaction, behaviour and capability.” You looked up from your book to meet his gaze, books in hand as you two held eye contact. “You learn while being thrilled”

A smile crept onto his face. “Would you believe less than three hours ago we were clubbing. And here we are, having educated discussion over literature”

“Nope, I don’t believe it. My life has never held so much mystery before.” You laughed little as you sat back. “I don’t even know what we are, or what our interactions are leading to” you brushed off.

Honesty is the best policy. And Yongguk seems to get it too.

“Well, we can begin by getting friendly. I can tell you don’t like excess drama, I can comply. But do understand me’” he began as he sat back “I’m a bit of a tease” he winked.

“I think we’re friendly enough” you sneered earning a laugh from him before you two read on in silence for a little longer. The pitter-patter of the rain dancing on the room began as the sky darkened, all unnoticeable form the comfort of the warm library.

“Why Room?” you broke the silence “I mean despite it reviews did you not believe it is also a book depicting the fall of feminism.”

“I thought it’d remind you of yourself in ways”

“How so?”

“Everyone has been Jack at one point in their life. That’s why the story is all the more relatable. Jack, he reminds everyone of their past and how they grew in ways”

You stopped reading for the moment.

This man was the first person you’ve ever had an unorganised moment in your life with. You’ve met him only twice and you’ve had a meal with him, talked about music, joked with him, been on a drive and now you two are reading and discussing novels while relating on a personal level.

You are definitely going to be more than friendly with him.

You just knew that from here onwards things were going to change as you two continued reading into the early hours of the morning.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Note: I am SO SORRY about the lack of editing of chapter 3 and any in chapter 4, I'll fix it up soon. Thank you for tolerating my typos. Inspiration comes to me in the early hours of the morning.