XIII

Change

A while back those bitter words would roll off your tongue as if you had swallowed thorns. Now, they came out from genuine curiosity.

“The other side?” Hongseok inquired. The seedy brother in his tacky velvet jacket his excuse of a moustache tackily “I’m no brother to trash” he finished.

“That’s what he said” you thought as Yongguk held back his laugh. Telepathy is wonderful. Jutting his jaw out towards us, Hongseok’s guards began to fill your booth, Junhong looked slightly unnerved as Himchan held the younger’s wrist in a vice like grip.

“He wants to see you.” You looked up to meet Hongseok’s unreadable gaze as a smile played at his lips. “Both of you” he smirked at Yongguk. The pair of you stood to your feet as he continued. “It’s either you see him while being able to walk, or I happily bruise your cheeks, now that wouldn’t look good with…that” he motioned to your outfit. Yongguk gently pulled you behind him, bless him for not standing by.

You rolled your eyes. “Thank you so much for caring. Let’s go.” Guards moved, filing behind the pair of you as you were escorted past the booming music of the club into the street again “I hate being associated with trash”

Plum lips spread into a thin smile. “Ours is a culture and a time immensely rich in trash as it is in treasures.”

“Your words?”

“Nah, Bradbury, Zen in the Art of Writing”

A remorseful sigh escaped your lips, Yongguk is ed. You’re ed. We’re all ed. “Like I said, I hate being associated with trash”

“Like I said, the world is as rich in trash as it is in treasures” the topaz man spoke slowly as if he wasn’t being shoved to keep walking by big scary guards. Putting two and two together, his words made sense.

“One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”

“Bingo” plum lips curled into a small smile with yours. Meeting his gaze he failed terribly to hide his cheek in tongue, a rumbling laugh sounded ofmr his as you joined in.

“You cease to amuse me Yongguk”

“You cease to leave my mind Danbi”

“I swear you weren’t so cringe worthy last week”

“I open up bit by bit. Layer by layer”

“Just like an onion” you continued. Your banter with Yongguk making you forget the world.

“I promise I won’t make you cry” he sing-songed.

You scoffed. “Oh just listen to yourself full of blatant lies”

“I’ve never lied to you. Never did, never will” he smiled as he stopped walking.

“Are you done with your lover’s quarrel?!” Hongseok cut in bringing you back to reality, you realised where you were. “Enough, he called you here for a reason” Hongseok voiced. He in question sat in front of you. That same of childhood image of a wrinkly old man on a leather chair behind mahogany furniture. Only slightly different this time as he wore an unreadable expression.

“So, this is why I have to see you” his hoarse aged voice cut though.

“Please don’t objectify the man beside me,” you retorted “He’s priceless” you finished quietly. The air turned sour as the man in front of you got up from his chair and moved in front of you. He stared you down like a vulture to a carcass.

“What’s wrong with you? You were so good being quiet. I listen to you and let you live as you wish, now you turn things upside down just because of a useless fool?”

You glared at the old man. “What relationship existed that has turned upside down-”

“You’re talking back to your father Hong Danbi-”

“It’s Baek Danbi. I don’t have a father because I’m a dirty little secret, right? All I need to do is shut up and sit in a mansion, I don’t deserve any of your greatness because I’m a goddamn accident, a pain in the .” you seethed. “I have the gift of life and I’m only just beginning to truly understand it. The so called freedom you gave me is literally letting me live in the tiny flat my mother raised me in.” you paused. “I don’t have much but please, if you see me as your child, for once I beg you, don’t take away what I already have.”

A hand struck your face making your ear ring. Yongguk’s firm hands grasped your frame as you stood your ground. “You don’t want me to take out that trash beside you?” the old man seethed. The metallic taste of blood bought back memories.

“One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, Mr.Hong”

“You don’t get it do you!” Hongseok spoke up. “He’s creating too much attention! People know you exist, we’ve already gotten threats-”

“For some stupid actions of yours I’m in danger but no one gives a as long as the secret is hidden, isn’t that right?” a sad laugh left your lips. “If I’m bound to die simply for existing, I might as well live my life to the fullest”.

“Take him away, if he’s a threat to her he’s a threat to us all” the old man spoke. Heavy footsteps began nearing you.

I’m sorry mom.  Lowering your pride you managed only a whisper. “I beg you” a tear rolled down your cheek

“I’ll take her off your hands, sir.” Yongguk’s familiar warm voice broke through. The room fell silent as guards stopped. “We’re being seen together but have no apparent relationship, right?”

“Where are you getting to” Mr. Hong directed.

“I’ll marry her.”

Silence filled the room. Wait…What?!

“You can’t be serious” Hongseok laughed. “Who’d marry a pain in the like her.”

Yongguk tilted your chin, the tall bronzed man wiped a lone tear with the pad of his thumb. “Me” onyx eyes oozing endless warmth “I’d marry her. If she consents to it that is.”

“Yongguk-”

“In exchange,” Yongguk turned to look at Mr.Hong. “Hands off, she’s my responsibility, not yours.”

I will do anything to keep what I have, Even if it means to change things, I won’t lose YOU.