XV

Change

Twenty minutes later sitting on the floor crossed legged and all cleaned. Slurps of beer acquainted with greasy fried chicken received welcome moans of pleasure from you. Great meal to talk over. More alcohol to spill truths with, woo-hoo. Bubbles from beer washed down the greasy taste of chicken. Groans of pleasure left Yongguk’s lips. “This. Is heaven.” He mumbled with his mouth full, you handed him a tissue.

“Thank goodness for your spontaneity”

“About what you said back at the shop, about me and asking your father for your hand in marriage” Yongguk began, hand rubbing his nape “It wasn’t that spontaneous to be honest”

What do you mean boy…

“I-I don’t know how this happened… but it feels…right” he continued. “For once, something besides music feels right”

“I guess we both have been thinking about one another” you whispered before you took a swig.

“They’re right when they say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I thought about the things we said. For once, I didn’t feel like I speak little”

“You don’t though. I didn’t feel that you were quiet or anything”

“That’s not what the world says” he laughed before sipping beer as his Adam’s Apple bobbed.

“There’s no need to always talk you know.” You skilfully bit into a chicken wing.

“The truth is I felt attracted to you. Your mind, your words, your character. The thought of marrying you is enthralling, to get to know you better, to spend more moment lost in conversation”

“It seems a little too convenient…”

“I apologise if I was out of line back there, if you choose to reject me-”

“That’s not what I mean… the attraction is mutual.”

“Then why are you scared?”

“I just, I don’t trust people.”

“I need you to trust me, I need you to hold my hand so we can pull through everything coming our way. We have to work together to make it work, right?”

“You’re right but…”

“But?”

“You won’t leave me will you? You won’t leave me like everyone did, right?”

“I couldn’t make it this far without you, you’re the reason why I’m here today.” He reached over for a new can of beer for both of you “I think it’s time you tell me about yourself”

“Can’t you pair two and two together?”

A sad smile graced his lips. “You’re an illegitimate child to the founder Hong Corporations. That’s all.”

“You know your celebrities well”

“He’s a connection to my boss. But…there’s more to you isn’t there?”

“Can we pretend it’s the alcohol speaking?”

“We’re not pretending” his slender digit pulled a stray hair behind your ear.

Here goes nothing. “I grew up here. My happiest moments in life was the time I spent with my mother, endless laughter and warmth once filled the room we sit in. My saddest moment was seeing her dead body on the kitchen floor…she passed away in my arms.” A shaky sigh left your lips as you continued. “Hong called me and I learnt of my birth secret, but Hong had better uses for me. Who is the current CEO of Hong Corportions?”

“Hong Hongseok.”

“Who was that seedy guy in the velvet jacket?” silence fell over Yongguk as he pieced two and two together. “My relation with Hong corporations is to keep Hong Hongseok in line, no matter what the cost. However, I must do it while looking like an enemy.”

“Why.” Yongguk spoke through gritted teeth. “Why would you be his slave when you’re born free?”

“Either I do or die.”

“What happens if you’re found out as Hong’s child?”

“I die” you smile sadly. “Do you understand why this is a sensitive issue? If you take responsibility of me, you die too. Yongguk, this is your one chance to turn away. Turn around and pretend nothing happened. Forget this. Live a happy, long and free spirited life-”

Bringing his hand down on the table, the sound made you jump “What’s the point of a long life when happiness is in the short moments with you!” the hurt look in his eyes tore you to shreds.

“I’m going to put you in danger” you whispered.

“You’re worth it. I’d rather be in danger with you beside me.”

“My future is uncertain, I can’t do this to you.”

“No one knows what tomorrow holds.” Yongguk rested his hand atop yours. “I’m not leaving. I’m not going to leave YOU. Sure I’m not perfect, but I’m not giving up on you. Don’t give up on me, I need you just as much as you need me.”

“You haven’t told me much about yourself Yongguk. How can I help you?”

“Well, I’m the youngest of three siblings and we have some dogs” he laughed. “I’m socially awkward and I frequently fall into depression.” The topaz man pursed his lips after taking a sip of beer “My life in five words: Loneliness, Ultimate Happiness, and Devastating Sadness.” he shook his head. “My entire family is actually colour blind, I’m the only one who sees in full colour. All my music does is paint pictures of the world in black and white” onyx eyes gazed at you with tender care like none you’ve seen before. “Meeting you, elements of grey that existed morph into different colours. I’m learning of colours that never existed before” his eyes twinkled.

You raised your beer can. “A toast. To us; putting everything we have on the line for one another.”

“May the odds be in our favour” Yongguk chimed in.

Til’ death do we part.