XIV

Change

A public proposal. A public response.

Nothing to your taste. Nothing fairytale like in this story.

So it has been set, after a solid argument with your so-called father, you have a week’s time for a small wedding ceremony can be held. Yongguk was adamant on wedding you with honour and respect, so now you have the pleasure of being a bride and walking down the aisle.

Stepping out of the club together, you begin towards your place. Everything has just whizzed by. “Danbi…”

“It’s been a long day-” you began.

“Can we have our date?” his question surprised you.

“When?”

Looking at his watch “Like, now” Yongguk smiled “Can I take you out on a date?”

Its half one in the morning, a cheek is slightly swollen, eyes hurting and nothing makes sense right now. “Sure. Why not. Instead, we’re going to my place.”

Yongguk moved beside you silently as you walked towards a fried chicken place, yongguk tapping his phone for the order, it’d be ready by the time you each there.. Shoes stepping on the wet tarmac in sync as the crisp night air cooled your minds. Silence unnerved you before, but it seems with Yongguk it’s comfortable. “Can I say something?”

“I’m not stopping you” you smiled tiredly. The hunger was getting to you. Or was it life catching up? Probably the first.

“I am honoured to marry you Danbi and I’m not just saying that. We can work this out, we really can…” he dwindled into silence.

“We can,” you broke the silence. “I know we can. But marriage is a big deal, and…I want to walk down the aisle just once.”  A blush crept onto your cheeks.

“I see we have the same thought.”

“I’m not perfect and we all have our flaws, but we have a lot of things to sort out first.” You turned to meet Yongguk’s eyes “I’m not okay with your spontaneity on such a sensitive issue, you didn’t need to do that back there.”

“Honesty and trust is a good place to start our relationship with.” Yongguk nodded before heading into the shop to pick up the order. What the , anger pent up inside you as Yongguk visited crossed your arms and a frown when he came back out.

“Did you just ignore the words coming out of my mouth-”

“No I didn’t.” Yongguk began, a smile broad on his face but something off, his voice quiet as he moved closer to you. Pulling out a small bouquet of roses and expectantly surprising you the tall tanned man laughed. “I just don’t want to make a scene in the middle of the street. Plus your dad said you’re being watched”. He leant over to kiss your forehead, gentle and quick. “He’s right” his deep voice whispered. Goosebumps covered your body, this is serious.

“On second thought this can continue over beer and chicken.” You smiled up at a plum smile, gently slipping your free hand into his before walking towards your apartment. A smile crept onto your face as you recalled the events of last week. “Trust me, next time I’ll bring roses with beer and chicken”.
“You kept your promise” you whispered, looking down at the roses in hand.

“Better make our first date our kind of date.”

“Incredibly spontaneous?” you two laughed.

Ten minutes later, Yongguk’s taking a shower as you change into something comfortable. Leaving a pair of Daehyun’s pants and Youngjae’s shirt at the door for him, these men you shook your head. Slipping an earring out one, you pondered over what to talk about with Yongguk. How on earth do you talk about something serious without blushing? Slipping on that baggy white shirt you now love on a pair of tights, you stared at the barefaced woman in the mirror. He could leave, he could walk away. This uncertainty is eating away at me.

Moving towards the kitchen you dialled Youngjae’s number to deal with the chicken. Picking up on the second bell you moved your phone away from your ear. This is Youngjae, he’s bound to shout louder than the booming club music.

“I swear to god if that little did anything to you-”

“Says the little one himself.” You laughed “Sorry I didn’t pay you.”

“I’ve got you but where the world is Yongguk?! Himchan and Junhong are looking everywhere worried sick.”

“He’s with me, he’s okay. We’re okay.”

“Any idiot knows better than to believe you. What did he do”

Placing an ice pack on your cheek you sighed “He slapped me” you really didn’t want to tell him the truth, but maybe it’s the alcohol speaking.

“Son of a-”

“My father. My father slapped me” you cut in. “I called to ask you something” your eyes began to well up and you felt your words choking.

“I’m listening.” His voice quitter as he obviously moved into a quiet corner.

“Could you walk me down the aisle? Please?” Eyes closed as a stray tear fell onto the counter. Silence came over the line.

“Stay put I’m coming over with Dae”

“No, it’s fine Jae.” You argued with a croaked voice. “I need to be alone for a bit. Answer me, could you please just do that for me? You and Daehyun?”

“Of course. We’ll be your flower girl and ring bearer too” he spoke quietly.

“Thank you” you whispered before hanging up. Choked sobs left your lips one by one, each one easier to let out than the last. You’re getting married, to Yongguk at that. It’s good news-no, its great news! Who better to marry than him, you know it! You’ve had thoughts of him being romantic too...

But there’s just so much to it. So much you need to let out, the vulnerability and weakness to expose to him. Yongguk didn’t just ask for your hand in marriage and a committed relationship, he asked to know YOU. But will he stay? Will he be there? Can could hurt you are you ready to risk it all? These questions ate away at you painfully. Tears streaming down your face fell freely, landing on the counter drop by drop.

Ten minutes is all you two need. There’s so much to talk about, you needed a moment to gather your thoughts.

Ten minutes. Just ten minutes.

___

A.N: 

I cried writing this chapter.