II

Change

It’s been a few weeks since you last saw or heard of Yongguk. But now you’re in your room standing in your underwear gripping the crumpled invite.

To go or not to go?

Yongguk’s beats. His voice, his smile, his calm demeanour.

The venue was an outdoor concert arena, you’ve never been there before. You picked up the phone and called Youngjae, the diligent man picking up on the third ring. You carefully took your time to explain your situation and our biggest problem- what to wear?

“Hmm, wear white” you heard him through the clinking of glass over the line

“Okay, but why?”

A breathy laugh escaped the other side of the line “Trust me, it’s all the fun to get wet there. Dress comfortably but have that space to look and feel y”

“Boy I feel y when I’m classy. And what’s this about getting wet?”

Glass clinked on the oak counter before he began.“You’re going to get wet and squished too. No one will care about your rich and classy outfit.” You could hear his smirk across the line.

“Youngjae~~~” you whined. You were asking a friend for advice and he was enjoying your misery.

“You wanted something different didn’t you? Try to be free tonight instead of classy. That’s how you’ll have fun.” Youngjae responded, his voice warm and sincere.

Understanding his advice as best as you could, a thank you to him gave you an idea.

“And double my tip next time” he called out before hanging up, making you smile.

Pulling on a more comfortable clubbing outfit consisting of black pants, a sheer white tank top, a worn black leather bag and boots hoping it would attract less attention to you as you left for your humble car to sped off towards the club.

Approaching the venue had you on the edge of the city, fields of greenery appear as dark green forest against the ebony night a backdrop dotted with stars. The roads empty, the only sign of the gig being a loud thumping. It was him.

Stepping towards the entrance, the beats had a more dance vibe to them. You showed the bouncer the crumpled invite before being escorted inside by a staff member in a black suit. You caught a glimpse of the scene. Turquoise, pink and white laser lights slicing across the sky, spreading in different patterns as bright lights flash and danced in the sky. People in dark clothes jumped up and down in synchronisation to the beat enjoying the warmth and vibe you have at your club in a colder, and more open space.

You were to feel the high in a freer environment.

The staff member bought you up to Himchan, eyes filled with surprise as he turned to lean his head close. “I didn’t think you’d show up” he greeted you with a smile, beer in hand amongst the bustling crowd. You were standing close to the front, possible the fifth or sixth row.

“You, Junhong and Yongguk invited me, how could I decline such an invitation” you replied, a smile playing at your lips. Your heads at close proximity as you two talked over the music.

“I’m glad you came though, you’re one of the few people Yongguk has ever spoken so freely with” Himchan spoke near your ear. “I’m surprised that you two even joked on your first meeting”

“Really?” That’s a surprise to you too. “I never talk to new people at the club, im surprised we got along well.” you told him. Where’s Junhong?

Himchan pointed to the stage with his beer bottle as the song came to an end and the crowd cheered. “Junhong’s helping Yongguk out tonight” he smiled. He really seemed to know what you were thinking. You looked to the DJ decks to see your mystery man you’ve missed. Yongguk stood in a black sleeveless top, hair wet and silver chains hanging. Junhong ran up onstage behind Yongguk with a towel and water bottle to help the man.

He looked like a mess. A hot mess. The DJs you’ve seen are either dressed in jackets or track suits. Despite being wet on a cold night he was only wearing a black tank top. Raising a microphone to his lips he began riling up the crowd.

“Wassup everyone its Bang Yongguk” and the crowd roared.

“Are you guys having fun tonight?” An uncoordinated mess of screams saying yes made an apparent roar causing Yongguk to laugh as he teased the crowd for not being loud enough.

“We’re coming towards the end of tonight’s performance. Only 5 songs left” he told the crowd with a sad smile as they all “aww”ed at the end being near.

“Good news it, it’ll still be lit. Once again thank you for attending tonight’s show” Yongguk began with eyes scanning the crowd as one hand cranked his beats to start, bodies swaying and head bobbing although he has just started. Skilfully pulling his wet shirt off making the crowd roar. The beat changed subtly and everyone began to jump, water spraying and lights piercing through the sky, heightening the tension of the event.

His eyes finally find you in the crowd, with a piercing gaze that made your insides do flips, he raked his fingers through his wet locks before speaking into the microphone.

“I’m glad you came” he smirked

The beat dropped and fireworks flew.

But all you cared about was that little park he had ignited inside of you in that moment.