XXXI

Change

Mr.Bang spent the night on the couch like a good boy indeed. Good boy intentionally, for the following morning a Mr.Bang walked in like a pup wagging it’s tail after seeing it’s human. Only he held a tray of food sturdy in his hands with gleeful steps stating the obvious. Nevertheless the bounce in his step was almost too cute to tolerate. Almost.

The following morning was a breakfast in bed; last night’s untouched cheesecake slices, cereal and leftover fruit and a fresh cup of tea. “I promise I’ll get the groceries today. You won’t have to worry so much now” he smiled taking in the sight of his bride comfortably nestled in bed, with a cowlick to boot, simply enjoying her cup of tea. Not bad, it’s a since strong brew.

“How long are we here?” you asked.

“A week. No work, just you, me and the sea.” Plum lips spread into a smile contagious enough to curl your lips up into grin. “There’s a wet market nearby so we can get groceries there.”

“Mmh- let’s go together.” Wet markets are lively and bustling, it’d be a pleasant change from yesterday. A silence fell between you two as you began to eat.

“I hope breakfast is to your liking.”

“Breakfast Cereal, the finest of all western cuisine.” You commented with a spoon of milk-soaked cereal in hand. “A toast to homely dining.”

“Fruit loops are special okay” he sheepishly patted his nape, wittingly understanding the joke.

A knock on the door stirs you both from the moment. “Does anyone know we’re here?” you asked.

“other than my sister, no one.” Yongguk put his guard up in a second, shifting from relaxed to reserved. “I’ll get it,” he commented, heading down the hallway. Carefully listening to every footstep, who could it be at the door today?

“Do you have any idea how hard it is to find y’all?!” Hongseok’s voice reverberated in the hallway. “Where is she?” the lack of sophistication in his tone as strong as ever, but this sense of urgency can only mean one thing.

A mild scuffle of footsteps, “What makes you think I’ll welcome you in? Last time we saw you we nearly died”. Perhaps Yongguk  stopped the uninvited guest from coming inside any further.

“Sorry about that but this is urgent-”

“Then keep it short at the door. You’re not coming in” Yongguk remained rooted, firm and assertive. There was clearly no room for argument. Hongseok had to come inside though.

“Darling,” you called out. “He’s here for good reason.”

“Honey-” pursed lips and furrowed brows, an alert husband kept an eye on every move made by said guest. “Shoes off inside, I’m watching you”.

“Right.” Hongseok muttered along with a few other things. Thundering footsteps down the hallway, the sign of a greased hair and a purple suit reminded you of Robbie Rotten from Lazy Town; a pathetic excuse of a villain but perfect comedic relief to life until a certain point. It’s quite humorous actually, or perhaps you were simply cynical with everything up until this point.

“Hello,” you smiled at him as he looked at you from the doorway. All hongseok saw was a completely different erson before him; this wasn’t the so-called sister he hated and desired to crush; this was a woman at peacei n her own home. ISmiling ofmr bed without having done a thing in the morning, was this really the same person? “You’ve come during breakfast, and I’m still in bed.”

“Explain this?” Hongseok strode forward hesitantly, dropping a few manila folders on your lap. You knew this was going to happen. Pulling a stool forward, he sat by your side with a seriousness unlike any other. “Why on earth would you give me everything that’s yours.”

Yongguk watched from the doorway, serious and brooding. Collecting all 5 folders, you gently held them out to Hongseok. “It was never mine to begin with. I want nothing to do with you all, even our father. ”

“You’re insane.” He signed exasperatedly. This was unbelievable, it’s too far even for some.  What’s she plotting? Who is she with? Multiple questions loomed in Hongseok’s mind as a silence fell between the pair.

“If you want it so bad, give it to your kids.” Both men in the room whipped their heads to face the woman with her gentle statement. Despite her state, her presence was something else. Yongguk realised he had truly married a boss woman, no one had authority like her despite remaining gentle.

“What did you just say?!”Hongseok seethed. Had his little paradise on earth had been exposed?!

“Why should I stay in a place you wouldn’t want to bring you children into? I know your wife, I’ve played with your twins before. It’s a badly kept secret, but you don’t own up to it making you look incompetent to our father.” Firm yet gentle, triggering enough with too many truth bombs for Hongseok.

“Don’t you dare!-”

“Why on earth, do you think that geezer would go out of his way and bring me into his and your life? He thought you could get yourself together as the 6th family head if your position was in jeopardy.” You explained. If he wasn’t going to understand it, then it needed to be spelled out for him in simple words. “I can’t help but empathise, I don’t want a family in that kind of world, even when I know a shred of kindness exists there. Don’t hate me for giving back everything that was never mine.”

A pregnant silence fell in the room, you eyes never leaving Hongseok, controlling all the emotions bubbling inside. This is not a situation to get temperamental in. “You can’t want this without expecting anything in return,” he spoke up after a while. Smart man.

“Give your kids the best life you can give them…may they never end up fatherless like myself.” Yongguk knew he smile his wife had on his face was the pained kind. Her words just then felt like a dagger to Hongseok’s conscience. For once he could understand his sister; their father was always there but never there for them. A detached figure with an undeserving title.

A lone manila folder landed in your lap again. “Your mother’s house is yours to keep,” he stated with no room for argument.  “I’ll keep watch over you two from a distance until the current war dies down.” He looked to the other person in the room.

“Since you’ve brought it up,” Yongguk interjected. “I’ve faced a dagger, and now a shooting. We attended the shareholders dinner on Hong’s invitation”. His statement was enough; an explanation was necessary today.

“You two may be the reason we’re still alive today. You’re living life properly, and that made a statement. Everyone’s still raving over the Danbi and her Waltzing Gunman.” He smiled humorously. Seeing unimpressed Mr.Bang didn’t seem to falter his expression. “I thought you’d run away, but seeing you cover her even though you were scared less…she’s got a good man.”

“Why were people shooting my wife.” Sweet talk won’t do Yonnguk any good, he would do whatever he could to protect his love.

Hongseok understood that better than anyone. After all, he’d been doing the same thing for almost a decade now. “The shooting is a conflict of branch and affiliated families, but also a dig at us as the head branch. If you two didn’t attend, making things look much more stable than they were, we’d be in the boonies by now. They staged a fight on no mans’ land, so it’s practically a man hunt to kill rabbits. The fight isn’t against you two, but I’m taking precautions to keep you two safe. You’ll have someone protecting you from a distance-”

“If it’s as far as your wife’s guards, it won’t work” You spoke up. IT wasn’t a statement, it as an order; Yongguk knew you had an authoritative tone when needed but this was different. Boss ladies sure are hot.  

“Noted.” Hongseok replied, pulling out his phone for a brief text.

“Can you explain the dagger?” Yonguk prodded.

At this, Hongseok sighed dejectedly. “I’m still trying to find out the culprit. We don’t deal with daggers so it’s a challenge. I’ll get to the bottom of it and keep them at bay.” This answered most of the questions in the room, leaving a comfortable silence he broke. “This has to be the most civil we’ve ever been…You’re where I want my family to be, so I can’t treat you like one of us anymore.” He laughed dejectedly. “My kids aren’t coming into my world. I won’t let them.”

A faint smile graced your lips as you agreed with his thoughts. “Then try not to come in mine,” at this Hongseok looked surprised. “No offense to you, but I don’t want my family to have anything to do with that world either. I won’t be bumping into your wife and kids anytime soon, so they’ll be safe from my end.” It was finally sinking in for Hongseok, that his little sister would be breaking ties with the family, with no intentions of coming back. Just when he had gotten a blood relative they were leaving, and it pained him.

“Can I still keep in touch with you?” concerned eyes, innocently looked at his sister who couldn’t help but smile.  She was in a much better place now, and it was a farfetched but beautiful dream to have family.

“I’ll be where I always am, come by when you’re on this side as well.” Hongseok broke on the inside. The invitation would forever stand but they both knew better than anyone the responsibility entrusted on Hongseok was beyond the family. It was for the ancestry, it was for the dark side of the nation to remain under control. Power strife would result in death, and the responsibility of all branch family lives are on the main family as well. The invitation was genuine, and would always be there for him, but it could never be accepted. Not now, not anymore. Hongseok stood up, and pinched the bridge of this nose of any moisture his eyes threatened to spill. Yongguk watched his wife bear a warm smile with sad eyes. Perhaps it was a painful forgiveness, perhaps it was the pain and gravity of today’s actions.

Hongseok moved up to Yongguk and met his gaze. “This goes without saying, but take good care of her,” with the gravity of a final farewell.

Such responsibility was his to uphold. With resolute faith, Yongguk replied. “I fully intend to.”

The gentle click of the front door left signalled the departure of tackily dressed man. The pair sat in silence. Who would have thought the day would come, when ending ties with family could feel so empty. Perhaps it was the loneliness of being in this state all alone. It was like mother’s death.

“You okay, babe?” Yongguk’s concern filled yes and warm hands on your arm roused you from your wallowing. A shaky sigh left your lips.

“Whether you accept them or not, leaving family is burdensome.” Yongguk saw his wife in a weak state once again, holding herself strong by mere pieces of resolve. It was heart breaking, for she had no tears left to cry. 

He s his arms around his wife, pulling her close to his chest. Yongguk was hurting more than her at this moment, to lose family while living must be another kind of pain. “I’m never putting you through this again.”

“This was my choice.” Melting in his arms is the best place to be. “I have literally no on to fall back on. No one but you”

“Huh?” Yongguk pulled back to meet your gaze. Habitually, your fingers slid up to rake his tousled locks.

“Where I left one family, I was given another. This is the demise of mafia aristocrat Hong Danbi, and the rise of the mysteriously normal Bang Danbi” you smiled, only to see tears roll down your husband’s cheeks. Thumbing his tears away, you cupped is face to meet your for a chaste kiss.  “You’re not the only on who will do anything to protect their family”

“You’re normal?” he scoffed.

“Next to you I am.” You smiled. The numbing pain of protecting your family by leaving your relatives would take a while to sink in, but for now, this was enough. Yongguk was enough.,

 

 

A.N:

Pardon the tardiness, last week was too hectic with work, study, life and voluntering all at once. 
Here's a super long update to make up for it, initially it was enough content for 2 chapters if i dragged it on but i thoguht it'd be nicer to wrap things up neatly this way (pun intended).