XVI

Change

Moving smoothly into the kitchen you began working with breakfast, setting the coffee and pulling out some bread to begin your day. ing hell, nobody likes Mondays. A deep yawn came through from the living room, following gentle footsteps nearing you. There stood Yongguk tall and lanky, half asleep and messing with hair falling haphazardly. “Ah, you’re an office person, I forgot” he yawned.

“Good morning to you too” Yongguk pulled himself onto a bar stool next with a laugh, messy locks falling over his eyes gently flicked away by the slightest nod. “Your shirt I stole is on the chair over there. I also washed your clothes from yesterday, they’re still in the dryer though.”

A cheeky smile began to grace its way onto Yongguk’s lips. “But, if you ruin my clothes, this time-“

“Unlike most people I read the care instructions” you cut him off and handed him a cup of coffee.

“Fair enough” he laughed, “Could you take the day off? There’s a lot we need to do.” Pearly whites bit into a slice of buttered toast.

“I’ve got to sort out a couple of things at work today-” your phone beeped cutting you off, a defeated sigh escaped your lips as you picked up to see what the alert was. A text from your manager at work.

Who texts at six in the morning?

“Baek Danbi,
We’re sorry to inform you of your redundancy, thank you very much for your services. The company head-office has released an official statement to shut down your current office.
You have until Friday to leave the workplace and prepare pay information. Once again we’re sorry this has to be, and we wish you all the best on your endeavours.”

"Son of a ." It took all your strength not to scream at that moment as you put your phone down “Guess who just got laid off”

The groom-to-be looked up in surprise as he stopped munching. “. I’m surprised at how calm you are.”

An exasperated sigh left her lips before taking a large sip of coffee, the hot liquid burning down bought little solace, but it was enough for the moment. “Let’s keep moving before sinks in. We need to sort things.”

“Yes, we do. First up, where do you want to live?”

“Your place. Straight up”

“Well that was easier than expected.” Sips spread into a small cooked smile before taking another sip of the steaming black liquid.

“It’s bigger” you replied, a satisfying crunch sound as you bit your honeyed toast. “Oh, Where do you want to get married? It’s your big day too you know”

The said man hummed in thought. “Somewhere meaningful”

“We met at a club...” you deadpanned

“Yeah not happening. We’ll come back to this one-”

“We need to sort it out Yongguk.”

“It’s your big day too, have you wanted something special?”

“I’ve always wanted to get married in an Art Gallery.”

“I really didn’t know you had a taste for art too”. Yongguk’s eyes sparkled as ideas flooded his mind. Pictures formed in his mind as things made better sense than before. “Contemporary. I’ll look into it.” He began as he fished out his cell phone. “I’m close with some art gallery managers” he smiled.

“Since I picked the location, you pick the food. We need to feed our guests well.”

“How does cupcakes instead of a cake sound?” the sound little to no hassle made you smile. “I’m the last person you should ask about food.” He laughed deep and warm. “Himchan can help us there though”

“That’s pretty much sorted then. Why don’t we look into flowers? They have meanings to them”

“I’d like to make a request”

“I’m listening”

“Gardenias” Yongguk replied while tapping away at his phone. “About your dress and my tux, I’ve arranged a meeting with a close stylist friend of mine, she should be able to help us find it” a satisfied look graced Yongguk’s face.

“Are we buying or renting?”

“Depends, want me to look into it?”

“Definitely, I’d like to purchase my wedding dress.” the tips of your ears reddened as Yongguk smiled

“About the invites, let’s work on it together.” Yongguk looked up to meet your gaze.

“Sounds good to me”. And just like that the morning was spent organising and making phone calls as the reality of marriage sank in. Time flew by over the occasional contretemps on trivial matters like the colour of the reception linen and which florist to book with. A laptop having multiple tabs open on wedding tips as well as the government website detailing marriage certificates ran low on battery reminding the pair they’ve been working on this for quite some time. It was almost lunch and they had yet to final a guest list. Yongguk called all the boys out for lunch at a nearby restaurant, including the rose haired Manager Moon for some odd reason.

“Why did you call Jongup?” your eyebrows furrowed as you went to grab your coat. Walking back to see Yongguk putting his wallet and keys in his back pocket the said man simply slipped a warm hand into yours catching you by surprise as you left the apartment.

“He has a lot things he can help us with, so be nice okay?” he spoke striding into the cold air. His breath condensing into clouds in the chilly winter day.

“But why-”

“Who’s going to manage everything from your side? You can’t run around in a wedding dress you know. And it’s pretty clear Hong wants to know how things are going.” He reasoned, sliding your interlaced hands into his warm pocket. The warmth of his gesture didn’t escape you. How did a little gesture like this affect you so much? Tightening your hold around his hand you were warmed when he squeezed back, the ghost of a smile remained on your lips as feet trod on tarmac.

The sight at the restaurant almost comical as five pairs of eyes stared at you two wide eyed. Pulling your interlaced hands out of Yongguk’s jacket, you held it up for all to see. Yongguk caught on as he pulled your interlaced hands to his lips and hid his smirk. “So who’d like to be my maid of honour?”

“I swear you need more females in your life” Youngjae sighed exasperatedly

“Youngjae volunteers as tribute” Jongup offered, the said man glared at his boss as Jongup suppressed the urge to laugh.

“Now that’s the kind of attitude I like” you smiled at the rose haired man for the first time.