I

Change

“So will it be a Lemonade or Gin And Tonic tonight?” your friend and bar staff Daehyun asked as you two walked towards private VIP booths to enjoy the music and feel of the club.

 “Gin and Tonic will do. Tell Youngjae I’ll tip him well tonight” you reply as you settled into the leather arm chairs of your regular booth. The second best booth in the club- city scape, a terrace, the dancefloor downstairs, and the prime view of the DJ.

You sat back and began to unwind to the music.

Clubbing isn’t to get a hook up or attention. It’s to immerse yourself in that beat, the warmth of people enjoying music. Dancing is fun but enjoying the music is better. Seating yourself into the booth, Daehyun brings in your drink and usual snacks. Walking in smiling while from ear to ear, you thank him as he places your drink on the table as well as hold small talk before he left to talk to Youngjae like usual..

Unwinding to the DJ’s rendition of Tablo’s Bad, bobbing your head to the beat. Enjoying bass and hype of it all while sipping the bittersweet drink, bubbles tickling your senses while the alcohol gives you that satisfying burn at the back of your throat.

This guy is good.

Slow. Take it slow boy.

You like it.

It’s incredibly emotive and highly expressive, but your body is put into a rhythmical trance; just what you need for a club. He was lost in his own art. Eyes closed. Body moving on its own. Plump pink lips spread into a thin smile, all of which would be hidden by a cap and out of sight from the dancers below.

It’s too slow for a group of wannabes downstairs as shouts fill in the dancefloor. You sit up alert as the crowd rudely boos him and he stands back with his lips pursed with distaste. As the commotion gets louder the man is escorted to leave the DJ station. The DJ you usually enjoy starts his tunes up, a little fast paced, playful and daring within his boundaries when dealing with his beats; his usual style.

But things don’t feel the same. The sound. The feel. The mood. Jinsil’s emotive voice and the lyrics don’t sit well when he speeds it up. The pain is Tablo’s voice isn’t there. It’s just something to shake your asses to now.

Who is this man that changed everything?

“We’re sorry to inform you Himchan-ssi that you’ve been double booked.” You hear Jongup speak outside your booth

 “Nonsense. I booked this room with you myself, it was the only free one available“ the handsome man from before argued with Jongup outside the door of your booth. The rise haired man closed his eyes before taking a deep breath and replying.

“Sir here we have a priority list. You’ve been double booked-”

“You’re welcome to join me.” You called out, carefully placing your drink on the table in front of you. The two men turning their heads, to finally notice you in the room. “I only take up one seat”

Maybe it’s time to change things up. Change and the mystery man made sense.

“B-but madam” the rose haired manager began, surprised at your actions. “These were the one who-“

“I don’t come here for drama Jongup and you’re being rude to the customers” you retorted as he shrunk away. You looked to the handsome man next to Jongup. “We do have a priority list here, but you’re welcome to share this booth with me”

“I’m with two other people” he answered, sharp eyes analysing you, trying to figure you out.

“There’s enough seating for seven, its fine with me.” You smiled. You called out to Jongup and the man was away to do his job properly as you picked your drink to sip. The boy and mystery man joined the handsome man outside the door before entering the booth.

“I didn’t know priority lists existed these days. VIPs are VIPs, aren’t they?” the mystery man asked, sliding onto the sofa next to you while the handsome man and boy slid onto the one opposite

“When business deals with elites, things get outrageous. You’ll have V.I.Ps, V.V.I.Ps and even more” you replied.

You, the girl who’d never care about anyone in the club. You were finally talking to someone besides Daehyun, Youngjae and Jongup.

This. Is. Big.

“And you are?” he asked, a smile playing at this lips.

You paused and hummed, thinking of the best response while tilting your head. “High in rank, exempt from titles” you replied, earning a full blown gummy smile. His friends looked on at the pair of you in silence, until the handsome man cleared his throat.

“Thank you for letting us join your booth.” The handsome man began with a smile. “I’m Himchan, this is Junhong” he said while pointing to the boy.

“And I’m Yongguk. Bang Yongguk” the mystery man introduced himself.

“Well I’m glad you three joined me. It’s interesting to have company for a change.” You smiled at all three men.

“You sit here? All alone?” Junhong questioned. Innocence and curiosity written all over his face.

“I come for the music. Just the regular. I’m used to it.” You replied.

“Tonight was different though.” Yongguk looked up to you. Something about those eyes was dangerous. Preying. Tempting. Not vulgar but enticing. “How did you think of it, as a regular to the club I mean”.

You stared at him for a bit before responding. “You’re a respectable DJ. To be very honest I’m interested in your work now” and all three men looked taken aback while Yongguk smirked.

“Wow, that’s a first” Himchan laughed.

“You gave respect to lyrics and emotion so it wasn’t lost in the beat. That’s an art” you replied smoothly, sipping your drink to wash over the awkwardness from giving a stranger a compliment. Silence fell between you all for a moment.

“Would you like to come to my next gig? It’s not here though.” Yongguk asked while leaning back.

 “I can try, for a change” you reply as Yongguk nodded to Junhong.

“Here are the event details. Just show this on entry and you’ll meet Himchan hyung” the boy smiled, extending a hand gripping a wrinkled paper flyer you accepted with care.