XXIX

Change

 

Treading over to the kitchen, a glance in the pantry and fridge revealed various other things that could be used. Soaking enough rice for two, you pulled out the leftovers from lunch on the counter. Carrots, celery and cucumber sticks; half a block of cream cheese; fresh berries and chocolate dip. 4 eggs rested on the egg tray in the fridge, a quick check in water showed they were fresh. A shelf with mini cereal packs sits in the pantry with milk in the fridge.

There's just enough ingredients to make something amazing. The menu is simple, but it takes longer than cooking ramen.

Wet hair tied up, you began working with full focus with the tasks on hand. Cutting vegetables carefully, whipping meringue until glossy with soft peaks, stir frying ingredients in various sauces, preparing the water bath for the oven. Cooing was one of those few activities where you could lose thought on everything, while your heart poured itself out on a plate. Working life gives less opportunity to spend time in the kitchen with this quality, but now it’s all too easy.

Carefully placing a hot cheesecake on the counter from the water bath, you snapped out of it and noticed Yongguk watching you from the other side of the cheesecake, perched atop a barstool. Chin in palm, deep brown pools in wonder caught you off guard with a teasing grin playing on purple lips.

"I didn't think you were serious when you said you'd show me your culinary skills today," he remarked, then taking a glance at a metal watch perched upon his wrist. How long had he been there? Considering you had whipped the meringue by hand, having his msucles would probably take less time. Your focus increased as you continued with the final decorations of the cheesecake with chocolate dip and berries. Yongguk marvelled at your artistic approach, leaning in to put a berry on the cake and snack on another.

"Can you set the table please?" you asked, pushing plates of tonight's main dish forward.

"My pleasure," plum slips stretches into a thin smile, carrying over two plates of food to the table. He had taken the pleasure to increase the ambience with a candle, making the setting a little cosier than it already was. Being by his side, and seeing him visually admire your hard work was absolutely worth it.

“I don’t know if Chardonnay works with fried rice,” he commented, popping the cork off the bottle carefully. The clear liquid glugged when poured into two wine glasses, a gentle hiss of bubbles was satisfying.

“Looks like a pretty decent Pairing. Cheap wine always goes with cheap food.” You replied, placing the tastefully decorated cheesecake on the table. “Excellent choice, darling.” you took in the table he had set. A slender candle and small cheesecake sat between your husband..

 “It’s our first trip, it’s only necessary.” He smiled, taking a seat opposite you. “What have you made for us today?” his eyes couldn’t leave the plate before him.

"It’s a simple vegetable fried rice, topped with a fried egg. I made a fresh cucumber sambal to go with it. With the little amount of cream cheese and a few eggs left, I thought a cheese cake would be quite a nice dessert, you elaborated, Yongguk’s mouth slightly agape left you smiling. “Dig in. I've done the best I can with limited resources-"

“You’ve really outdone yourself. The cheesecake looks beautiful,” genuine praise tumbled while he gazed at the fluffy, delectable dessert on the table..

A certain cheesecake pedantic had taught you well, almost too well. “Save yourself the flattery before trying the dish. Flattery is one thing, but it won’t affect how dinner will taste.” Plum lips spread into a smile, before parting for a spoonful for rice and egg.

Eyes closed and a sigh in delight with a mouthful of food. Childlike innocence marvelling at the well balanced dish, eyes glimmering in unadulterated glee with the food before him. Never have you found a man so adorable. Another spoon full shovelled. "This," he pointed to the dish before him, "is outstanding," he asserted before shovelling the spoonful into his mouth. Food filled cheeks resembled a chipmunk, the urge to poke said cheeks was incredibly strong.

"Take it easy” you laughed, his eagerness was too cute. “Slow down, or you’ll get indigestion."

"You've cooked at home but nothing this extravagant." he commented, heavily swallowing his previous mouthful.

"I think you've had ramen for dinner too often. Besides, dinner at home is typically better than this," you laughed. Dinner at home is pretty standard, but this is probably the first time he’s seen you cook. Taking this opening, you continued chatting and eating. "When my mother was alive, we didn't have much. I was often cooking, experimenting bought a little happiness in our life. After my mother, Daehyun and Youngjae became bigger foodie figures in my life, perfecting the taste of my cooking."

"I’m not surprised with them, they’re perfectionists." he chuckled lightly. Clinking of cutlery on plates, the occasional crunch of a vegetable in the meal were the only sounds filling the air as dinner continued. A silent diner table is a sign of good food, but when dinner's over and you haven't had dessert yet, what kind of silence is this? A rather unnerving one, but, it wasn't one to break easily. Silence over dinner today turned a little uncomfortable, even for you. Slicing the cheese cake for yourself and him, Yongguk broke the silence. "You mother must have been very proud of you.”

A rather unexpected question was presented before you, as you husband seemed a little dissociated from the dessert placed before him...perhaps this bride isn't the only one thinking so hard lately. A smile graced his wife's lips as she recollected memories of her mother. "Food was the only way I could make her happy with my own effort. Good grades were a bonus, and her upbringing bought good comments from people in the neighbourhood."

"You've been brave. You know that, right? " Sincerity dripping from his voice like honey, and a distance growing greater.

Yongguk, you’re being rather generous with your words today. How can we normalise when you're like this? "I’m very humbled, but you've been thrown into the deep end braved it all with great courage. I'm blessed I can count on you."

"I...I haven't been completely honest with you." Yongguk interjected, cutlery on the table gently, gaze averted form the table. Awkwardness and tension swirling in the air caused your tools to be put down as well. "I don't know how to say it."

"Every battle has it's challenges, I'm by your side through all your battles now. Take your time, " a gentle smile offered with a gentle tone  did nothing to reduce the tension in the air.

"Please don’t make this any harder..." Yongguk swallowed thickly, before turning to meet his wife’s gaze with the most heart wrenching words leaving his lips. "I can't protect you"