XI

Change

The sun had set when Youngjae texted you. Yongguk’s up in an hour. And here you were, in your wardrobe searching high and low for the perfect outfit to wear to the club tonight. You had to look good tonight, there was finally a reason to look good tonight.

Twenty minutes later, heels gently clacked on wet pavement, confidence in each stride. Heads turning at your outfit or charisma, it didn’t matter. You tried to look girly today, but that doesn’t stop your ferocity exuding from your brisk walk. A delicate silver pendant dangling from your neck as you walked towards the club pricked conversation about you as whispers flew left and right.

Is that really her?

A sad smile found its way onto your lips. “The cons of being untouchable” you sighed internally. You’ve got to be classy. It’s not a want, it’s a need. As a buxom woman in a leather crop top you continued pushing through the chill of the night in leather ponte pants. A floral printed blazer graced your shoulders to hide the goosebumps covering your arms, alluding porcelain perfection to freaks who stare. accessories accentuating one’s natural grace, you really are the envy of the night. Thank God you didn’t mess up your eyeliner today, a smirk ghosted your lips as your necklace danced on your clavicle and loose curls gently bounced with each step.

Excitement bubbled in your core, it’s been a while since you felt this particular emotion.
Anticipation.

Booming music signalled your destination getting closer. The bouncer’s eyes lit up as he noticed you from afar, immediately clearing path between the bustling crowd to make way for you. “Welcome back Madam.” The bouncer greeted you with a polite smile. You pressed your lips into a line. He’s a good bouncer but he needs to be watched. “Your space has been kept clear”

You nodded to him as you enter the club, time for your act. “Where’s Jongup” you sighed airily. It may have been a sigh, but it was loud enough for wait staff to hear you over the booming music and answer you with a node of the head in his direction. Manager Moon’s rose hair styled to perfection as the man’s sharp small eyes burned holes though Youngjae’s crown as the later stood back with his head bowed. “Oh hell no, there’s no way Pinky’s gonna mess with my friends.” You breathed as anger pent up inside you. Weaving past skimpily dressed women, Jongup could be heard shouting at Youngjae. The fact your regular DJ was playing and you could hear Jongup shouting, something was going down.

You stood for a moment, taking in the entire situation. Himchan and Junhong were to the side of the counter, the latter looking incredibly sorry. Jongup is someone who never cared was going on at the bar, there was a reason this happened.

Hold on, it all clicks. Your eyes scanned the second story balcony, and there he was. The owner of the club with his ugly moustache clad in a maroon suit and gray skivvy, tacky hair greased in his signature 7:3 parting. It all made sense.

Jongup continued to thunder “Yoo Youngjae you are paid to bartend, not socialise-”

“Hi Youngjae!” you called cheerily from behind the men, heels clacking on the floor as you approached the counter and all eyes turned to you. The said man looked up at you, “What are you doing” written all over his face. You tossed him your clutch “Just the usual, tip yourself” you smiled before he went off to do his job. You had Youngjae’s back, you always did.

Jongup stood flabbergasted as you cut him off from his monologue, your airhead act paying off. “What. Do you think. You’re doing” he seethed through gritted teeth, shoulders heaving up and down as the crowd began to murmur amongst themselves. You could feel people staring.

Feigning ignorance you pulled yourself up onto a barstool. “Me?” you asked airily, innocence filling your voice. “I’m just helping the business run properly” you finished. Perfectly manicured nails tapping a gentle rhythm on the countertop.

Jongup breathed sharply, his composure slipping away little by little.“I don’t need you to do my job-”

“Correction Jongup. I’m doing my job; making sure this place doesn’t run into ruin.” You corrected the tanned man, lowering your tone to complete your sentence as you turned your back to the crowd “You should take care of the club staff being verbally assaulted and d upstairs, not Youngjae who has to make customers comfortable”. Shame slowly replacing Jongup’s anger as he got told, Daehyun being the smart guy he is distracted the crowd as everything fell right back into place. “Do you even realise you’re making a scene, Jongup? Just to impress Hongseok you made a ing scene in the club. What will come of the regulars, did you think of the rumours possible?” you scolded him, your voice gentle as your words jabbed at Jongup’s professionalism. Blush crept onto the tanned man’s cheeks. Everything came out into the open.

“I wasn’t impressing him” he growled making you laugh.

“Of course you weren’t, now go make yourself useful. Hongseok’s grinning, deal with it.” You retorted as Manager Moon composed himself and prepared to leave, he knows Hongseok smiling means he’s ed. “Oh and don’t disturb me tonight. I want to relax.” You called out airily. No reply came as he ignored you. Daehyun rounded Himchan and Junhong towards you, with new but familiar greetings, Daehyun’s subtle escorting lead the three of you into your VIP room. Just in time for Yongguk’s stage.

You watched in amazement as Yongguk took control of the club once again. Everyone was a puppet to his orders, bodies swaying left and right to the rhythm, Yongguk the puppet-master stretched his plum lips into thin smile as the crowd cheered him on. His work orchestrated spirits lifting as people grooved. His slow steady beats and frequent es teased you as he played with the songs all the while respecting the lyrics.

Surprised filled the club when the beat became even slower down and Yongguk pulled a microphone to his lips. People stopped and stared at the man rapping while you were caught in a drunken stupor.

“T'was two fortnights ago when you blew me away.

To come back on Earth from Heaven was a painful mistake.

As if I stopped but the world kept going.

Recounting a good past gives nothing but pain.

So I'm back here again.

Acting insane.

Thinking we'll meet again in this high

The scene, the mood, the feel of it all still fresh in my mind

You blew me away but you made your mark.

Art like you turned me, a night owl into a lark.

No name to find you with.

But a laugh to remember

This attraction for you isn't one of lust,

You changed me into a man you can trust.

You blew me away with your words not a kiss,

I'll never forget the sweet words of those lips”

Yongguk's dark eyes opened to meet yours from across he club, and just like that you knew it was about you.

Your thoughts and feelings mutual. So I'm back here again...Acting insane...Thinking we'll meet again in this high.

_______

A.N  

Chapter Images, yay or nay? let me know.

More regurlar updates coming soon