X

Change

The roads were cleared up in the morning as you peered at the street below. The storm present but lighter than before. Water and Electricity was back up and running. Taking a bath in the water Yongguk had run last night the kind man insisting “Ladies first”.

The cold bath was needed after all that happened last night. You needed to cool off, bring your level headed rationale back. Last night was unbelievable.

Darkness filled the apartment at last as you two continued talking in the candle light. No matter what the topic was a conversation flowed so smoothly. Whether it was the about the pesky little stickers on apples that always got in the way while you ate, or how reliance on technology could lead the end of our species. Two cups of liquorice tea cooled as conversations intensified amongst the flickering candle light. Discussions, theories, debates, laughs and jokes flew through the air. Insight and knowledge shared between two people, deepening their understanding of the world as well as bonding to pair closer.

His beliefs idealistic yet the world had taught him the hard way realism was a necessity. A true born leader sat before you as he defied status quo, paving the path for an idealistic future. Your beliefs were realistic, idealism was a luxury you couldn’t afford in your life. A strong moral compass guided conversations as thoughts were shared on politics, poverty, the economy, philosophy, life, spirituality and more.

It wasn’t until the sun kissed man checked the clock and laughed, you two had been conversing actively for five hours, while occasionally snacking on cups of tea and fruit. How did this happen? Nobody knew. Calling it a night at 2am, the gentleman insisted taking the couch but being the stubborn person you were, you declined. He pulled out the sofa bed with a blanket and pillow, as well as a spare tooth brush for the morning, before a quick sweet dreams parting the pair for the night.

Of all people, the girl who couldn’t sleep at Youngjae and Daehyun’s house despite knowing them for years was falling asleep in this man’s home. The girl who wouldn’t dare to fall asleep in her own father’s home was falling asleep in the home of a man she knew little to nothing about.

Believe it or not, it was the most peaceful sleep she had in years.

When did your venture to seek change end up changing you? You sighed as you relaxed into the water. You needed to cool off, Yongguk was messing with your mind. Too many thoughts. Too many things. All this was so new. Why does I feel so right?

A gentle rapping on the door came breaking you from your thoughts.  The culprit’s deep voice making out that your clothes had been washed but something happened to your shirt, he was sorry. Making your way out in a towel you realised what he meant; your white shirt from Friday night was now a dull gray. You guessed he didn’t separated out the laundry, you sighed, before thinking of an idea.

Waltzing into his wardrobe, you paused to pick a long sleeved white shirt of his to wear, it was simple but then again Yongguk was a man good taste, the fabric screamed luxury. Quite long, it reached mid-thigh on you while the sleeves covered your hands fully, you looked tiny. The scent of Yongguk’s charcoal and sandalwood soap filled your nostrils

Gazing at the girl in the mirror, she wore the ghost of a smile, studying herself. She looked…happy.

You looked Happy

Happy.

Never thought you’d say this again after Mom died.

You smiled at the thought, this is something to get used to. Your shirt’s owner waltzed in through the open door, a crooked smile irresistibly graced the man’s plum lips as he leaned on the doorway. “You look good in my clothes” his voice breezed, taking in the sight of an ideal girlfriend.

“Consider it payback for ruining my favourite shirt” Today will be a good day.

It’s been week since those onyx eyes glimmered up close and now his white shirt stares back at you in your wardrobe.

Sunday where you wore his shirt home, Sunday when he took you to the shops later in the evening helping you with groceries as promised. Sunday when he accompanied you back to your apartment. Sunday when he gave his number.

Hating Sundays because of Mondays is now a thing of the past.

Texts were exchanged after that night. Jokes, good nights, “have a good day”, funny pictures. Despite the distance and schedule differences conversation flowed so well. For once you began to text first. Face to face or by messaging, Yongguk really had a way with words when you two talked

Your phone vibrated as text came through.

Danbi, open up, I’m at the door.

You pulled that longing white shirt on over your leggings before greeting your friends. “Come in boys.” You sighed before walking back into your living room.

“What, no “Pizza In. You two out?” retort today?” Youngjae asked. Your two friends walking in behind you.  

“Danbi…are you okay?” worry coated Daehyun’s voice from behind the warm pizza boxes he held close.

“I’m fine” you lied as you sat on your favourite loveseat. “Boys, its midday what are you-”

“Where did you get that shirt?” Youngjae cut in. You stopped. Daehyun aught onto Youngjaes wrds and guided the man to sit down. Curiosity filling your handsome friend’s brown orbs.

“I took it from Yongguk” you answered quietly.

“Shiiiiit~~ ” Daehyun called out. A fist covering his growing smile. “You took his lucky shirt”

“Oh for heaven’s sake you know him too!”

“We’re friends” he shrugged.

“You young lady” Youngjae pointed to you with his nimble fingers “need to tell us what the heck happened last weekend.” He pulled his hands out as he began to count. “You didn’t go to the club. You didn’t sass out Jongup over the phone. You’ve been awfully quite in the club scene. No fight have broken out because of you and the regular are noticing. And, the two of us are starting to get worried.” He pointed out.

“It’s kinda long” you paused as Daehyun pulled out a slice of pizza, biting into it deliciously.

“Keep talking, we’re listening.”

And so began your monologue. Beginning from the club, recounting his charismatic stage performance. Daehyun smirked at Youngjae as you rambled on about how you two enjoyed one another’s company over dinner and the book date. You told them of what Junseo did, worry etched you friend’s faces as you continued. You told them about going to his studio for breakfast on Saturday, and how time flew by on Saturday as you two talked away. You told them the story of the shirt you wore this morning, and how Yongguk took you grocery shopping that afternoon.

“He’s an inspiring man, with an enlightening personality,” you rambled on as his toothy grin came back into mind. “He was quiet and not just entertaining, he was enjoyable company. I found myself to be so comfortable to be with him.” You rested your chin on your knees, a smile ghosted your lips. “His mind is fascinating. He’s well cultured on many matters. I had such a great time with him”. This mess of emotions, you really didn’t know what to do with your infatuation for him as you let out your thoughts to your closest friends.

“She’s using big words on us again” Daehyun sighed.

“I’m surprised he talked about so much with you.” Youngjae spoke up ignoring Daehyun completely. “I’m not gonna lie, it’s so hard to believe you right now.” Your eyebrows furrowed, why though?

“Yeah” Daehyun spoke up again. “Yongguk hyung never speaks more than a few sentences in one sitting. And we’ve known him for years.”

“And you said you went to his studio, he only takes close people there. You said he took you to his apartment; no one other than his family have ever set foot in that place. Not even Himchan hyung.”Youngjae explained. I was a no brainer Himchan and Yongguk were close but the fact you were the only other person to have set foot in his apartment made you curious. He didn’t have to take you there, but why?

“Are you serious that you two didn’t do anything after you got to his apartment?” Daehyun narrowed his eyes at you.

“Have I ever hidden anything from you two? I’m serious when I say we didn’t do anything but talk, read and eat.” You rambled. “Normally things would escalate to what you’re implying Dae and I’m so thankful you guys aren’t judging me for all that happened. But I LOVE how we didn’t do anything.” You continued as Youngjae and Daehyun met each other’s gaze, brows furrowing, until it clicked with them.

Youngjae broke the silence. “I think we should play a song right now.” He got up to plug his phone to your portable speakers.

“Eat up, he’s preforming for a while tonight” Daehyun smiled as Youngjae played the song. Amy Winehouse; To know him is to love him. A smile graced your lips as you rocked to her emotional voice, singing along with her.

To know, know, know him
Is to love, love, love him
Just to see that smile,
Makes my life worthwhile

To know, know, know him
Is to love, love, love him
And I do, I do, I do
Oh, I'll be good to him,
I'll bring joy to him
Oh, everyone says
There'll come a day
When I'll walk alongside of him
To know him is to love, love, love him
And I do, I really do, I do

Why can't he see,
How blind can he be
Someday he'll see
That he was meant for me

Oh oh, to know, know, know him
Is to love, love, love him
Just to see that smile,
Oh, it makes my life worthwhile
To know, know, know him
Is to love, love, love him
And I do, I really do, and I do.

You smiled as you munched on your pizza, at the end of the song a thought crossed your mind.

Maybe infatuation was the first step.

____

AN: The longest chapter so far standing at 1724 words. Things are going to start taking a turn soon. Hold on tight!