XVIII

Change

Changing into your now favourite shirt you were sure Daehyun had left out on the bed kindly for you, a knock came at the bedroom door. “What groom sleeps in his wedding suit” Yongguk chuckled. Leaning against the wall your heart pounded.

There’s no turning back, you’re married and live here now. Holy . Bang Yongguk is my husband, We shared out first kiss today, how the am I supposed to face him?! “Doesn’t every groom?” you retorted, barely hiding your panic.

“Well not this one. Open up, love”.

Your handle stopped at the door knob…Love? Realisation made your heart skip a beat. He called you love, and you responded. It somehow felt so right. You opened the door to meet your husband looking down at you. A thick eyebrow raised a little as he saw his bride in his stolen shirt and a pair of black shorts. “Don’t you have any pyjamas?”

“What are pyjamas when my groom has nice clothes I can steal” you smiled sheepishly. Stepping aside the tall groom made his way towards the closet while ing his shirt. “I wanted to show you how Daehyun had organised your things” he reached to turn the walk-in wardrobe lights on.

“Please tell me he didn’t touch my underwear” you mentally pleaded.

“He didn’t touch your underwear, I figured I wouldn’t like someone touching my underwear, it’s kind of personal. I’m sure you’d feel the same way” plums lip smiled as your groom pointed to where your clothes hung; the left side held yours while the right side held his.

“Where’s the laundry basket?” you asked as you scanned the shelves, the amount of fabric rustling behind you indicated Yongguk was probably changing, keeping it safe to check where everything was.

“That door next to the kitchen” he replied, silence came through, maybe he was done. You turned to see Yongguk shirtless. Naturally one would have turned around in embarrassment, but your eyes caught onto a tattoo that graced his shoulder blade. You raised a digit and traced his tattoo, the man stiffened at your touch, surprised as cold fingers drew shapes on his back before relaxing a his wife’s delicate touch. “Do what you like and love what you do” you read aloud. “No wonder you’re so free-spirited” you sighed. Yongguk leaned forward, the ugly Poseidon tattoo you recalled from his live stage stared back at you side on as he pulled a loose shirt on.

“It’s your life, you have the control to do what you like.” He turned around, grabbing your free hand in his two hands. “It’s a blessing I count” he smiled before looking at you “like the choice I had in marrying you”. Your heart skipped a beat as he continued “I wasn’t lying, you looked stunning today”.

Playing coy, you moved away. “Aren’t brides meant to look beautiful on their wedding day?” you called as you walked into the living room, settling down onto the sofa littered with rose petals.

“Brides look beautiful because they’re happy.” Your tanned groom followed in his shorts, champagne glasses in hand. “But, your soul was shining though you when you walked down the aisle.” Popping the champagne bottle open with skill and pouring you two a glass, “I’ve never seen someone so pure” he continued as he set himself on the couch facing you.

The champagne bottle emptied quickly as you two discussed the day’s events, laughing at some jokes shared in the day and talking about the everyone’s speeches. The dagger came up in conversation, Yongguk thanking his wife for saving his life. “I don’t want to be a widow so soon” you laughed.

Something from his words clicked inside your mind as glasses clinked and champagne bubbled down your throat

“I’ve never seen someone so pure”

Mustering up the courage to bring the topic back again, you began. “You said you’ve never seen someone so pure before…Maybe I am that pure” Yongguk’s eyes changed into a curious expression. “Maybe you saw the unveiled me there and then.”

“Purity has a lot of contexts.” Yongguk downed his remaining champagne. It’s all up to the alcohol again.

“You’re dealing with an unadulterated mind, heart and body” you blushed.

“I figured,” he smiled sheepishly “you blush so easily” he teased.

Gazing down at the bubbling champagne in hand, you swallowed thickly before beginning. “I may not be able to love you as well as another could. I may not have the best body or touch to your taste, I may not be able to say what you want to hear, but I know this.” you met his gaze “I will do my best to be a good wife and partner to you”.

Yongguk’s expression was that same you learnt of today, love. “You want to love me?” he barely whispered, setting his glass down. The curiosity that filled those onyx orbs turned into something you didn’t quite recognise. Something foreign and distant.

“Well, we’re married, we like each other” downing the rest of your drink as the nerves got to you “You gave me a chance to make my space in your heart, I’d like to make it a home.” You matched his gaze, the alcohol speaking for you. “I want to love you, pure and true.”

He took the glass out of your hand before placing them both on the coffee table. “It’s written in your eyes. You’re scared.” He spoke evenly looking everywhere but at you. Realisation hit you, it was fear. He feared being loved. But why? He deserves more love from the world, more than you’d ever thought of.

Cupping his cheeks, you rested your forehead against your husband’s. Please let it be the alcohol giving me strength tonight. “I’m exposing my heart, it’s scary, but it’s worth it” you gulped before opening your eyes, and looking into Yongguk’s onyx eyes “You’re worth it.” You breathed.

“Why do I feel like you’re making yourself love me?” he whispered,

You pulled your forehead away from your husband. “I’m not. It’s my life, I have control to do what I like. Do what you like, and love what you do. I married the man I like, Bang Yongguk, and I’ll love the man I married, my husband Bang Yongguk” letting go of his cheeks to hold his hand, you continued. “It’s this freedom that makes us human, this freedom to choose. I choose to love you Yongguk.” Looking away as the fear of rejection crept onto you, “I hope I can turn my “I like you” into an “I love you” Yongguk.” you whispered.

We’re not too far off.

Yongguk’s long digits tilted your chin to face him, gentleness and warmth oozing every pore as he leaned in for a quick chaste kiss, pulling back to ask for unspoken permission. A nod of your head left a ghost of a smile on his thick plum lips, the pad of his calloused thumb swiped at your lower lip gently as you observed his face closely. Oh how cute his beauty marks are. “You’re scared. I’m scared…but you’re worth it.” Yongguk spoke huskily as he reached an arm around and pulled your body closer, the intimacy turned your ears pink but that didn’t matter. “I’ll take care of you with all that I have-” Guiding a loose strand of hair behind your ear, your groom admired how the ambient candlelight made his bride’s skin glow as your heart raced “-a love true and pure like yours is everything worth fight for” he finished. You leaned forwards sealing his lips with yours, hands fisted and gripping the front of his shirt. You were putty in Yongguk’s hands, melting against his touch as he kissed you back. Despite your lack of experience the lip play grew heated, it was as if your body knew what to do under his hands. Peppering each other in kisses, neither of you tried to nip at the lip or kiss deeply. Your husband caressed your purity as you began your adventure to loving one another. Sweet, and innocent.