XX

Change

A few days pass and here you are barely settled into routine, ironing shirts to crisp as sorted clothes spin in the washing machine. Musicians didn’t help a housewife’s fantasy about neatening her husband’s office shirts as he hurries to make his way to work; Yongguk chose to work in sweatpants and a hoodie, but like an ordinary office worker, an exhausted face every evening reveals just how difficult a creative job like that is.

An episode of The Big Bang Theory was interrupted as the man in thought called. A playful smile crept its way onto your face as you picked up the phone. “Miss me already Handsome?”

A soft laugh sounded on the other side as wheels of an office chair indicated Yongguk leaning back. “Not really” receiving the silence from your end Yongguk laughed more. Clearing his throat he began again. “I got I phone call from Hong.” He replied with an even tone, you focused on the matter at hand, this was serious. “He’s holding a shareholder’s dinner tonight, you knew about it didn’t you?”

“I did, but I declined” you replied. Turning the iron off you sat down on the sofa. “It doesn’t make sense for me to go after I married you” you paused. “We got married to put me out of harms’ way.”

A pause came over the line as Yongguk thought carefully “Should we go?”

“Like I said, it just goes against what we’re married for”. A small silence fell over the line. You wondered what was going on in your husband’s mind.

“Maybe it’s worth it to stop more daggers flying our way” Yongguk sided. Did something happen? He hasn’t bought up that event at all. “Maybe coming out strong together is just what we need… Just think about it okay Honey? I’ll agree with whatever you choose”

You pondered for a minute. “It’s not that going there is an issue, it’s the things you’ll have to do.” you sighed raking slender fingers through your hair. “Promise me you won’t leave my side. It’s too easy to get in trouble.”

“I promise I won’t. I’ll get my stylist to sort something out for me to wear tonight. Do you need a hand?”

“No thank you. Can we meet up there? The car is still being serviced.”

“I’ll be late but okay. I’ll see you there.” He finished before hanging up

 

The car came to a halt before an opened your door. An hour ago the girl in sweatpants, a hoodie and messy bun transformed into an heir clad in a red velvet dress with that clung to her curves perfectly with red stained lips hiding pearly white teeth. A simple diamond pendant sat perfectly between her clavicles, diamond earrings depicted her wealth and background while the humble band on her finger reminded her of her status.

A knowing gaze passed between you and the doorman; Mr.Bang had not arrived yet. Flicking a quick text to your husband letting him know of your whereabouts, you were escorted into the hotel ballroom. Heels gently click clacked past a wall of bodyguards of each respective guest standing in line; coming to such an event without security, you and Yongguk were going to be the first.

Grand doors opened into a hall with gleaming marble pillars and eighteenth century architecture. Men with too much cologne smoked fine cigars and pipes while their women teetered on their heels amidst conversation on high end clubs and fine dining.

A loud roaring laugh sounded in the direction of a man with the tacky moustache simply screaming trouble. Heels gently clacking on the polished floors, you began weaving through the crowd away from Hongseok. Relief wash over you as you grabbed a drink of water form a waiter, but was short lived as a familiar voice called out for you. You stopped in your tracks. “My, marriage hasn’t changed a thing about you” you could almost hear Junseo’s smirk.

“Marriage doesn’t make you a new person” you turned around. His eyes were dark, swollen under his long bangs as his skin dulled. He mustn’t have been eating or sleeping.

Junseo slowly stepped towards you, a hand in his pocket while he rolled the stem of his champagne glass between his fingers “I didn’t think you would have shares”  

“So spiteful. I didn’t think you would be here”. His smirk faltered. “This isn’t your kind of place”

“And what makes you think you know where my place is?” he seethed and took a step closer, his fringe barely veiling eyes with mixed emotions. You stared back long and hard, what exactly was he thinking.

How could you, I loved you, I still love you.

How could you You’re mine

“Nothing.” You spoke quietly. “All that I know is that your place isn’t beside me” you took a few steps back. Turning around to see your husband in a sleek outfit catching your breath. Slowly walking before you clad in suspenders, a bow tie and a navy suit jacket on top of a white dress shirt, Yongguk’s onyx eyes gazed at you in a way you’ve never seen before.

My place is beside him

Yongguk wasn’t the fairest of all men here, but was certainly the most delicious thing you saw in the room. Your husband looked deliciously handsome as he approached you. The side parted hair in the trendy hairstyle, golden skin gleaming as plush lips pursed into a line. Hooking and arm around your waist he made eye contact with the man behind you, eyes stone cold. “Having fun?” he asked Junseo.

“This isn’t over Yongguk” Junseo growled.

“Am I missing somehting. There wasn’t anything in the first place-”

“There always was, but you just made the wrong move” Junseo eyed you. You felt your blood boil and a crowd began to gather around.

Stepping out of Yongugk’s grip, you took a step closer to the angry man. “Answer me honestly. Do I look like a pawn in a game?”

“You know better than anyone you’re precious commodity here-”

“And you know better than anyone else how much I detest being objectified in that manner.” you cut him off to silence him before he spoke up again.

“So being a rose isn’t objectification, but being a person of value in a large gathering is.” He laughed as people whispered amongst one another. Holding back the smile on the inside you spoke up again.

“No, both are forms of objectification.” As if on cue Yongguk stepped behind you.

“There’s the subtle difference. As a rose, you’re objectifying the abstract idea of a rose into the concrete form of person. The other form degrades Danbi to the mere status of an object of trade.” He smoothly explained.“My rose is not an object for you to use, my rose is my wife”.

“Says the one who would use her!”

“How?” you asked quietly.

“What?”

“How would Yongguk use me?” you paused. “I’m surprised, there is something I can be used for?” you asked in mock surprise. You were faced with silence, patience prevented you from raising your voice any further. “Why on earth would a man who doesn’t know what he has use me? He can’t use me because I can’t give him anything except myself.” Silence remained as you glared at the man you once considered your friend. “My husband was right. Life will shake a rose itself, but it will not break the rose… It’s all about intention.”  

Yongguk wrapped his arm around to pull you into his side, his hand gently resting on your clothed back. Keeping his eyes steadfast on the male ahead, he began in a serious tone.  “I’ve had more than enough of this so I’m going to make something very clear to you right now. Come out and play whatever game you want to play with me, if you make my wife a pawn in the game and neither you nor I will walk away alive.” Turning to you, Yongguk slipped a digit to tilt your chin up, meeting his gaze. “And you’re an idiot to think didn’t know what I have with me…I have a woman who’s value cannot be replaced with money, I have a rose. A rose that I vowed to cherish, love and protect, despite her being capable of standing through the strongest of spring winds.” Warmth of Yongguk’s gaze made many others melt.

His public display of affection was outside your comfort zone, however you couldn’t help but fall deeper for the man holding you. The truth dripping from his words made your heart race. It was as if he knew exactly which puzzle pieces to fit together when it came to you. The crowd dispersed eventually, from a distance you could see Hongseok glaring in your direction as Hong held a poker face. Slipping slim digits lasing your hands together, Yongguk guided you over to the ballroom dancefloor. Hands ready at the waltz position, you two began to dance.

1,2,3

1,2,3

1,2,3

Whispers from the women in the side-lines reach your ears.

"Daaaaamn~~"

"Papi's looking spicy and ready to roll"

"vu le vu cushe avec mua" the ladies snickered.

A soft chuckle left your man's lips as he gripped your waist closer to his body, his hold gentle with such care as if you were going to break if he held you too tight. A soft blush crept up your cheeks. This intimacy, this attention, it wasn't your thing. Speak of the devil, his hand slipped a little lower from your waist to your hip. Yongguk's voice dropped an octave as that unfamiliar look reappeared in his eyes. "tu aurais envie de faire l'amour ce soir?"

Thoughts of gently sliding up to kiss him vanished as a gunshot was heard.