XXV

Change

Stepping out of the bathtub to have a husband make remarks about an adorably wrinkly isn’t the best way into a girl’s heart, especially when he was the one insisting to stay in longer. The struggle of tugging skinny jeans on wet legs wasn’t enough for him as he pointed fingers at you and laughed at your skinny jean dance.

A white blouse tucked into your jeans paired with a tan belt though the loopholes, black pointy flats and a black leather bag were prepared for today’s so-called “date”. Standing in front of the mirror you prepared your face in front of the mirror as your man dressed himself. A gentle coat of BB cream, a brush of mascara, and smear of lipstick and a spritz of perfume was all you needed. Black earrings stared back at you just asking to be worn as you styled your hair in a voluminous high ponytail.

Your man strode up behind you, plum lips pursed in concentration as long gelled fingers began dexterously styling his hair back before reaching his bottle of cologne in hands and smearing the scent onto his wrist and neck. Guiding the earring through your earholes, you eyed your man dressed in a comfortable white tee shirt and black slacks rolled up over the ankle. Glancing at you in the mirror as he reached for his watch, you smiled lightly before grabbing a bracelet to slide on.

“What’s with the bag?” you asked, watching his deft fingers curled around the leather straps of his luxurious duffle bag.

“We’re not going to be here tonight” his smile broadened. “Let’s go” his silky voice came as his fingers slid into yours before stepping out of the front door together.

“Where are we going?” you asked, while stepping into the elevator. You enjoyed the way your tousled hair danced on your nape. You enjoyed the way your black shoed feet walked just in time with Yongguk’s white canvas ones, even if your steps were smaller. Maybe it was just you, but the world felt brighter than it was before. The world was enthralling, probably because you were with the man you love.

“I’m taking you out. Just us.” He said as the elevator dinged. “And no, we’re not taking the car” your man kissed your temple before walking out of the elevator. Nope, you weren’t the only one finding this day better than usual.

“I’m trusting you to make it a good day.”

“I won’t disappoint you, honey” Your man pulled a drop sheet to reveal an Italian style Vespa, striding forth to bring you a white helmet before pulling his own helmet on. This looked like fun, your man is taking you on a bike ride, in the late hours of the morning. Everything changed five minutes into the ride.

“Yongguk, why are we travelling at 20 kilometres per hour?” you asked, chin on his shoulder and arms wound around his waist.

“I need to maintain a safe speed with a passenger on board.” He replied, you could hear the concentration in his voice as people honked at you.

“This is so embarrassing.” You sighed into his neck.  “Are you driving any faster now?”

“22 kilometres per hour is the fastest I’ve been with a passenger.” His confident reply came and on cue the shopkeepers’ snickers hit your ears.

“What’s your fastest you’ve ever been?”

“. . . 30”

“You might as well drive a moped considering that speed, love.” You eyed the passing road signs with concern. “Yongguk, is it really a good idea to drive on the motorway at that speed”

“Trust me babe, I’ve got this covered,” you smiled into his back smiled. “You trust me right?”

“Yeah-”

“Listen~ do you believe in me?” his brown eyes glimmered in the reflection form the side mirror, curiosity as the depth of his words sank in. The insecurities he had hidden away so well came to light.

“Undoubtedly.” Your man met your gaze. If I didn’t believe in you we wouldn’t be here. “How long have you been planning for this date again?”

“Well…you’ll find out in time.” your man smiled a he revved up the scooter. A few minutes later, your man was pulling onto the motorway, a gentle morning breeze felt stronger but Yongguk’s scent and broad back soothed you. Fatigue caught up as your eyelids drew to a close.

“Wakey wakey, we’re here.” The scent of still saltwater filled your lungs while the gentle crashing of waves on the beach roused you awake, catching you off guard as you sat up on a picnic blanket.

Your eyes widened at the sight before you. A picnic on a secluded strip of the beach, everything looked amazing. “This is the sweetest thing anyone’s ever done for me! You really planned all this?”

“Yeah. Now preparing it is another question, I had some help” he winked. “Let’s get started!” The crunch of buttered toast being bitten into, along with the soft gulping of black coffee helped to satisfy the couple’s hunger. A soft conversation on the weather and work helped to fill the void, the gentle lullaby of waves crashing on the shore soothed the senses. Time stood still for the pair conversing the day away, until a phone call pulled Yongguk from the scene. “I’ll be back,” he said as he ran off, and rightfully returned after minutes later atop a galloping horse. You sat rooted to your seat; the equine beast darting closer was majestic, ebony coat shining under the afternoon sun. but seeing your man atop the beast, the childlike excitement in his eyes didn’t match the power in the reigns and yet he was so masculine. Stopping the beautiful creature close, the man held out a palm atop the horse. Taking the hand you stepped towards the man beast pair barefooted, his strong arms pulled you atop and helped settles you in front. A gentle kick to the beast’s side and he walked you and your man towards the sunset.

Bang Yongguk, you romantic.