The Night Can Be Deadly

Flawless Tragedies
Please log in to read the full chapter

“It’s a pleasure to see you here tonight” the parties host, Li Liange , greeted Kris and Luhan warmly. He was an older man. Nearing his 60s and one of China’s oldest mafia leaders. His family had been in the business for centuries. He was the only man that Kris and Luhan had any respect for. It was a known rule to all of them. Never mess with old money.  And because of that Li Liange had a great appreciation for them.

 

“We wouldn’t miss any of your parties for the world” Kris replied smiling politely at the older man. Luhan wanted to roll his eyes. He knew this was all an act on both their parts. Mafia formalities were always so annoying but they had to be kept up. Order was always much better than all out chaos.

 

“It means a lot to see you here. There had been rumors that you were having troubles” the man continued very obviously fishing for information.

 

“Yes but that has all been resolved.” Kris replied nonchalantly.

 

Li Liange raised an eyebrow before adding “Well thats great news. You young kids are strong and have managed to be in this world for so long. I pity your enemies.”

 

“You flatter us sir. We only do what we can.”Kris replied modestly and Luhan could tell that was exactly the response that Li Liange was looking for. Typical of old money, they always wanted to be assured they still had power over everyone else.

 

“That’s all there is to it. Well boys enjoy the rest of the evening. I must greet the rest of my guests.” Li replied and Kris and Luhan smiled and bowed in response.

 

As soon as the man was a good distance away Luhan let out a loud sigh “God that was painful”

 

“Shut it Lu. The last thing we need is for anyone to overhear any stupid comments” Kris replied.

 

“Jeez...you worry too much”

 

Kris doesn’t reply and instead rolls his eyes.

 

“So how long do you think we need to stay for people to get the picture that everything is fine and not a complete ing mess?” Luhan asked quietly looking on to the crowd of guests.

 

“We literally just got here Han.”

 

“I know...but you know how much I hate these things.”

 

“You act like I want to be here”

 

“Don’t you?” Luhan asked smirking at the other knowing that Kris did in fact enjoy these parties. Something about them just always made Kris happy. Maybe it was a good reminder of their status. Or maybe it served as reward for all the things they had to do to get where they were.

 

“Shut up.” Kris replied with a huff. Luhan chuckled and was gonna tease his boss some more when his phone started vibrating in his pocket. He quickly fished it out and saw an unknown number on his cell phone screen.

 

“Who is it?” Kris asked looking over Luhan's shoulder.

 

“I don’t know...it’s not a number I recognize.” Luhan replied…”whoever they are… they can leave a message.” he said putting the phone back into his pocket.

 

Kris shrugged and walked away to get a drink leaving Luhan with an unsettling feeling in his stomach. There weren’t many people who called his number. Especially his private line. Sure he could never get away from toll free numbers but the number that had just called him was definitely not a toll free number.  He bit his lip trying to calm himself down. Because come on it could easily be a mistake. Someone could have definitely just called the wrong number.

 

And yet….something still felt off. He reached for his phone again just to see if whoever had called him had left a message but instead his phone lit up with the same unknown number. Looking around the ballroom Luhan quickly made his way over to what seemed to be an open balcony. Curiosity getting the best of him he answered.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Finally!! Jesus little angel I thought something might have happened to you” a male voice replied sounding oddly familiar.

 

“Who is this?” Luhan asked eyebrows furrowing.

 

“Awww you don’t remember me? Such a shame because...I know exactly who you are angel”  the voice taunted annoying Luhan. Who did this creep think he was. It had to be some kind of prank. Maybe someone Kyung paid off because there weren’t many who still called him by his old nickname.

 

“Listen . I don’t know how you got my number but I’m going to need you to--”

 

“No! You listen you little . And listen well otherwise your little boyfriend isn’t going to make it through the night.” the voice demanded cutting Luhan off.

 

What? Boyfriend...what could this person be...unless...Sehun?

 

“Ohhh no insults? No witty comments now angel?”

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Hmmm thats more like it.” the voice replied who Luhan instantly recognized as Jay. Of course it was Jay. God how had he not recognized him from the start. Luhan felt like such an idiot. But he couldn’t focus on that now. Jay had mentioned something about a bo

Please log in to read the full chapter