This Isn't Fair

Flawless Tragedies
Please log in to read the full chapter

Hey I’m not gonna be able to make it tonight. Work stuff. Sorry.

 

Sehun stares at his phone screen for what feels like a lifetime. It's been a week since he got that text and he knows he should stop going back to it every other hour but he can’t help it. It's been a week. And yes Sehun knows that with Luhan's  line of work it isn’t exactly easy to keep in touch. He knows that he also can’t pry too much into that because it's not like Luhan trusts him fully. But still it's been a week. Luhan has always made the effort to get back to him before. It may take him a few days but it's never been more than a week. Sehun can’t help but to be worried.

 

And it's really stupid of him to be worried. Especially because he isn’t worried about Luhan's safety. No,  what fills his heart with dread is that this could all be Luhan's way of ending things with him. Luhan ran away once before who’s to say he won’t do it again?

 

Sehun let's out a tired sigh as he puts his phone away. He knows he could have called Luhan but he doesn’t want to bother the other if all this is really just work. It's moments like these he wishes he didn't feel as strongly for Luhan as he does. It makes him feel so hopeless. Especially when there are moments, brief,  that feel like Luhan doesn’t feel the same way. But Sehun stays. He stays because Luhan was trying. He can see the other making an effort instead of shrugging him off. The text message serves as proof. If Luhan didn’t care at all he would have never sent a text. So Sehun just tries to be optimistic.

 

He remembers moments where Luhan lets his guard down. When Luhan isn’t being his playful teasing self. When he let's Sehun hold his hand or hold him close. When they’re in bed together and Luhan is the one that starts the cuddling.  Moments where Luhan is the one stealing sweet kisses. But Sehun's favorite moment is when Luhan looks at him with a bright smile and sparkling eyes. It always makes him feel like he’s the only one in the world when Luhan looks at him like that. It's cheesy. But it's how he feels.

 

After Luhan finally agreed to giving what they had a chance Sehun was able to learn so much about the other. One of the most surprising things was definitely how much Luhan liked cuddling. He was of course not complaining. It was when they were cuddling that Luhan always seemed the most comfortable answering Sehun’s questions.


 

“Did you ever dream of living a different life?” Sehun asked once. They had been watching TV at Luhan's place. Luhan was snuggled close to his chest.

 

Luhan let out an airy laugh “ You mean a life that was less gruesome and violent?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I...no..not really. I mean I didn’t have many options growing up. It was either this or dying...or the cruelest fate of all..being sold off”

 

It was that night that Sehun learned that as evil as life had been to Luhan, Luhan still held compassion. He learned that Luhan was the one that worked with Kris and Zico to not participate in any human trafficking. The women that worked in their brothels and strip clubs were there on their own accord and could leave whenever they wanted. They were heavily protected from anyone that thought they could take advantage of them.

 

Luhan also told him about all the other stuff Kris and he had set up in China to help kids not end up in the same positions they were. It only made Sehun fall harder and harder for the other man. Of course the journalist in him was endlessly curious and sometimes Sehun would get carried away with his questions but Luhan always managed to evade his questions.

 

“Alright cool it  Oh Sehun.” Luhan would laugh and kiss him on the cheek playfully “this isn’t an interview and I shouldn’t have to remind you we have rules”

 

“Aww Lu I’m just trying to get to know you better. You know how all couples do” Sehun would say with a shrug and bring Luhan closer to him.

 

“Yeah but not all relationships are between a journalist and a member of the mafia.” Luhan would say voice serious but eyes sparkling with mischief.

 

“Will it make you feel better if I said that everything is strictly off the record?” Sehun would tease and it always led to Luhan punching him lightly and rolling his eyes at him.

 

Sehun let out a tired sigh as he laid on his bed. Love truly was a powerful emotion.He couldn’t deny it to himself. He was in love with Luhan in every sense of the word. It was funny that he  had gone from thinking he could never be with Luhan because of the others lifestyle to not being willing to let the other go. And now he's a lovestruck fool who can’t stop thinking of the other. He misses Luhan. He misses their dates, their long talks of everything and nothing, the feel of the others skin underneath his fingertips, and those sweet sweet lips that he might never get enough of.

 

He wakes up to the sound of his alarm the next morning completely surprised. He doesn’t remember falling asleep. He yawns tiredly before getting up and supposes falling asleep is better than staying up all night with tortured thoughts.

 

Sehun has had a few  restless nights but work has recently tired him out enough to fall asleep. Suho has had him covering a political scandal involving various members of government and CEOs of major companies. Everyone was jumping hoops trying to get the most accurate information and reliable sources. Sehun had been lucky enough to get his hands on incriminating documents from a vengeful personal assistant. But what started off as a scandal soon became a nationwide witch hunt. It was exhausting but just as thrilling. And Sehun was grateful for the change. Mostly because it kept him out of any trouble with Zico and Kris’s crew. Not to mention Suho wasn’t on his back about being careful or retiring completely.

 

The latter wasn’t even an idea that sat well with Sehun. He had wanted to do this his whole life. Retiring now felt wrong. There was still so much to learn and uncover. He might of thought of it for his safety once but what's life without a few risks? Definitely not one worth living he thought to himself as he finished getting dressed. He looked himself over in the mirror and felt satisfied with his attire. Putting on some glasses to complete his look he left his apartment ready to go to work,  pushing away any hopeful thoughts that today might be the day Luhan gets back to him.


 

“So pretty boy hasn’t gotten back to you?” Jongins voice asked forcing Sehun to look up from his coffee. He was at a coffee shop with Jongin. They had decided to meet there after work just to catch up but Sehun kept spacing out. Jongin was the only person Sehun had told about his relationship with Luhan. He was  the only person Sehun could trust after all. Sure Jongin was a loud mouth and a bit dramatic but he had Sehun's back with anything. This included.

 

Sehun shook his head no and his lips.

 

Jongin let out a tired sigh before replying “I don’t know why you won’t just call him.”

 

Sehun let out an exasperated sigh “We’ve been over this. He could be busy or think I’m being clingy...I’d rather not bother him”

 

Jongin rolled his eyes “Sehun you guys are dating. Just text him. That way you know he’s alive and he isn’t running away.”

 

“Yes..but” Sehun tried to argue but Jongin simply put a finger to his lips.

 

“Stop being stubborn and text the guy. You look like dude and you’re all mopey. Do us all a favor and contact him.”

 

Sehun shoved Jongins hand away from his mouth before pulling out his phone from his pocket. He  stared at it for a second before finally unlocking it and to his amazement his screen changed to Luhan's picture and the phone vibrated. He looked up at Jongin in shock not even sure of what to do.

 

Jongin stared at him wide eyed before he was yelling at Sehun to stop being a moron and answer his stupid phone. Sehun nodded dumbly as he got up from his seat and headed out of the coffee shop.

 

“Hello” he answered hoping he didn’t sound as breathless as he felt.

 

“Hey...I’m not interrupting anything important am I?” Luhan greeted and his voice alone made Sehuns heart skip a beat.

 

“No. No umm I’m just out with a friend from work.” Sehun replied

 

“Ohhhh is it that sports friend?” Luhan asked and Sehun couldn’t help the smile that formed on his lips at Luhan's question.

 

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Sehun teased knowing full well the response he was about to get.

 

“Ohhh sweetie you don’t know how wrong you are.”

 

“Curiosity killed the cat Lu” Sehun mocked warned and almost lost all composure when Luhan laughed.

 

“You are ridiculous Oh Sehun”

 

“I know.”

 

“Anyway I was just calling to let you know I’m not dead or anything”

 

“Thanks I appreciate the heads up...is everything okay?”

 

“It’s...getting there. I’m sorry for cancelling last week”

 

“Don’t worry about it. Just make it up to me next time” Sehun replied. Luhan let out a sigh and Sehun immediatel

Please log in to read the full chapter