Dreamless in Early Graves

Flawless Tragedies
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sehun looked around the room full of business men and Seoul's elite. Everyone who was anyone was here tonight. It was strange to see all of these people in the same room at once. Considering how likely it was for anyone of these business people to hate each other you would think they wouldn’t want to meet at extravagant events like this one. But of course the elite always liked to save face to the general public.  Sehun shook his head in disapproval.

 

“Hey stop scowling.” A female voice said next to him instantly pulling him out of his thoughts.

 

“Sorry. There’s not much I can do my face is just like that.” Sehun tried to joke.

 

“Seh-

 

“Jenny!” Sehun cut her off. He couldn't believe his colleague almost called him by his real name. At her blunder Jenny’s cheeks instantly turned pink,“ my bad.”

 

Sehun waved her off “It’s fine. Just you know…”

 

“Yeah yeah got it. But seriously smile more. You have a very nice smile.”

 

“Are you flirting with me?” Sehun teased loving the way Jenny’s eyes widened.

 

“HA. Funny!  As if… Why don’t we get back to why we’re really here shall we?” Jenny replied sarcastically flipping her hair back in annoyance.

 

“Fine by me. I’ll catch up with you later.” Sehun said before getting a nod from Jenny and walking off.

 

He passed a waiter that was handing out champagne and quickly reached for one. At least the alcohol was easily accessible. He took in the room trying to figure out how he wanted to go about this. He could mingle but he was sure he wouldn’t be really accepted into any of the conversations. After all, he was mostly here as Jenny’s arm candy.  They had arrived maybe 20 minutes ago and so far the party was a bit boring.

 

He let out a sigh when he noticed the hosts were nowhere in sight. He silently wondered if it was because they would be making some cliche big entrance. It would suit them he thought thinking of the other events Zico and Kris had hosted.

 

As he scanned the crowd Sehun's eyes widened when he recognized a tall elegant woman talking to another businessman.  The woman was Donna Geroux known for her extraordinary business skills and rumored ties to the oldest French mafia. Sehun had once done a piece about her when it was rumored that Zico and her were working together for a new business deal. The rumors about her being in the mafia had increased exponentially when she got involved with Zico. The romance was of course short-lived. Sehun thought they wouldn’t keep in touch, but he was obviously wrong if Donna was here.  He looked over at them awhile longer before deciding to keep on walking around the room.  

 

A whole hour later and Sehun found himself by a wall, just people watching. He took small sips from his drinks just minding his own business when all of a sudden Chanyeol stepped in front of him.

 

“Having fun?” Chanyeol asked smiling brightly at him. Sehun silently wondered how Chanyeol could always be in such a cheery mood.

 

“I’m having as much fun as one can have at an event like this. How about you?” Sehun asked boredly making Chanyeol chuckle.

 

“It’s not so bad. I’ve seen a couple of interesting guests here and there.”

 

“Oh who’d you see?” Sehun asked a little curious. He’d only spotted Donna the whole time he'd been there.

 

Chanyeol smiled broadly at him, “Do you remember that one Russian guy who signed a deal with Zico and Kris a few months back?”

 

Sehun nodded, “Abram Balandin?”

 

“Yup he’s here. I saw him talking to Donna earlier. I also saw Fernando Martinez with one of Kris’s men.”

 

“Wow looks like we got ourselves a small mafia get together.” Sehun said looking out to the crowd.  He wasn’t really surprised though. Zico and Kris seemed to have connections all over the world.

 

“We do! I thought it was all going to be boring business men.” Chanyeol said voice full of excitement. Sehun smiled over at him and shook his head in amusement.

 

“Well, it still is boring businessmen since none of the people you just mentioned have ever been convicted of any crimes. Not even money laundering.”

 

“Shhhh I know that! Do you always have to be such a buzz kill?”

 

“Only for you.” Sehun said with a wink making Chanyeol roll his eyes at him.

He was gonna say something more when he noticed Jenny walking or rather marching over to them.

 

“Heads up Jenny's making her way over here.” Sehun warned as Chanyeol turned to face Jenny just in time.

 

“One of you dance with me.” Jenny ordered.

 

Sehun, not being in the mood to dance shoved Chanyeol lightly towards Jenny.

“You heard the lady dance with her.”

 

Chanyeol glared back at him but wasn’t able to say anything because Jenny was pulling him away. Being the that he knew he was, Sehun decided to give Chanyeol a wide smile and little wave.  He was so caught up in watching Chanyeol being dragged away he almost jumped when he heard a strangely familiar voice speak up next to him.

 

“Fancy seeing you here” the voice had said. Sehun instantly turned to face whoever had spoken only to be shocked by the person standing before him. Luhan was smiling up at him innocently waiting patiently for Sehun to reply. But Sehun couldn’t come up with anything to say. He was way too caught up in everything that was Luhan. He knew Luhan was attractive but there was just something about the way he looked tonight. He looked like a prince with his black paisley suit and high collared dress shirt. His hair was even done up in a nice swoop. Sehun almost felt under dressed in his midnight blue tux.

 

He mentally shook himself. He couldn’t believe he had been openly gawking at Luhan.  Sehun could see a small smirk forming on Luhan's lips at his speechlessness. How embarrassing.

 

“Luhan, how nice to see you again.” Sehun greeted hoping he didn't sound as breathless as he felt.

 

“Feelings mutual. How have you been?” Luhan asked casually. Sehun wished he could speak like that. He’d come to find that Luhan was the only person capable of making him nervous. Which was really ridiculous because he’d only spoken to the guy a handful of times.

 

“I’ve been good. Yourself?”

 

“That’s good to hear. I’ve been a little busy lately but it's not something I’m not already used to.” Luhan replied with a polite smile before taking a sip from his drink.

 

“Ohh I’m sorry to hear that but at least you can enjoy yourself tonight right?”

 

Luhan chuckled, “You’re right, I can start enjoying myself now. How do you like the party?”

 

“It’s good.” Sehun replied but there was amusement in Luhan's eyes. He’d been caught in the lie.

 

“You’re bored aren’t you?” Luhan teased barely hiding his smile behind his glass of champagne.

 

Sehun smiled at him and sighed, “Yeah I was a little…”

 

“You were?” Luhan asked with a  scandalized look, “ So now you’re….” he trailed off. Sehun could see where Luhan was going with this. He had to admit Luhan didn't let anything get past him. Not wanting to let him do all the teasing Sehun quickly answered.

 

“Now I’m having a good time.”  because you’re here he added in his mind because there was no way he’d ever say that out loud. At least not yet.

 

Luhan laughed and Sehun found that he really liked his laugh. It was loud and sincere and something about it made Sehun feel warm inside. He couldn’t help laughing along with Luhan. His laughter was just too infectious.

 

“Glad to hear you’re having a good time Yejun.” Luhan said between his dying laughter. It was the mention of his fake name that made Sehun stop laughing.  He found himself wishing he hadn’t given Luhan his fake name. How nice would it have been to hear Luhan say his actual name.

 

“So tell me Mr. Yejun what brings you to this lively event?” Luhan asked forcing Sehun to stop his earlier thoughts.

 

“I came as someone's plus one.” He replied finding a little satisfaction in the way Luhan eyes widened a little.

 

“Ohh I see.”

 

“Yeah she’s one of the people I work with.” Sehun added smoothly.

 

“So you’re basically here for work.” Luhan suggested small smile on his lips.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter