An Alternative

Unexpectedly

     "Nice place," I complimented. It was predictable. I had an inkling that he would bring me to his Dukyang Studio again, however, I didn't really have a choice but to act like this was not my second time coming here. While I pretended to look around, I took a seat on the leather sofa as he went to adjust the thermostat.

     A saw the corner of his mouth curl into a smirk when he turned around to face me. "Oh, please. Until when are you going to keep this up? I'm not stupid, Maki."

     To be honest, I was not expecting a confrontation this soon. "Can you at least offer me a drink?" I scoffed. Last time I checked, I was still a guest. And this guest needs a glass of water right now to prepare for what is about to come.

     His gaze demanded to settle things immediately. It would really help my situation if the courage I had just a while ago came to back me up now that I needed it the most. He remained standing, and even the energy to stand up — to at least be on eye-level with him — was something I struggled to find. He raised an eyebrow and then sighed. "I don't have anything here. Although I do have an alternative..."

     He took decisive steps towards me. I watched innocently — genuinely curious as to what the alternative was. Does he have a secret place under his sofa? Did he hide a stash of soju underneath it? My curiosity was immediately satisfied as he sat beside me. This curiosity unexpectedly turned into utter confusion; I was flustered. In my defense, my lips parted because I was flustered, not because I welcomed his kiss — his kiss that slowly began to pick up pace. He took my parted lips as an opportunity to deepen the unexpected kiss.

     I was confused, sure, but soon enough, I gave in to the temptation that was oblivion. My heartbeat started to match the pace the kiss was going. And it was going rather dangerously... but none of that mattered. It was as if we were both desperate to be this close; to be this intimate; to be in each other's arms. His hands cupping my face tightened until I could feel his nails dig against my skin. The sting that was supposed to hurt only made me more ecstatic. My emotions were all over the place but my mind chose to drive out the unnecessary ones. I was left with yearning and desperation that matched his.

     I held onto him to prevent myself from melting, but with the little energy I had left in my limbs, my hands could only tug his shirt. I could only assume that what I did drove him insanely wild — he sharply inhaled through his nose as a response, which then . At this point, he let his hand travel down to my waist. We scrunched up each other's clothes as we both struggled for air but we never left each other's lips as if just a nanosecond being away would cost us our lives. We were soon in perfect harmony, as if the race to see who was more desperate was already over and we ended up sharing the victory.

     GD, having a good hold of my body, slowly pushed me, little by little so as not to break our lips apart, and gently guided me until I was already lying down on the sofa. I did not feel his entire weight on top of me since he used his left arm to support his upper body. His other hand left my waist and found its way back to my face. He continued passionately kissing me and I wholeheartedly responded in motion.

     I was losing it.

     I have never felt this way before, not even on our first kiss. The rush of oxytocin was gladly welcomed, and I was drowning in it. I was really losing it. I was going insane. That's the only explanation I could come up with.

     With all the hormone-laced emotions that took control of my body, a soft moan inevitably escaped from me and greeted GD's lips, to which I heard him mutter in a y, husky voice, "Shít."

     He did not even give the thinking part of my brain a chance to overthink. He slid his tongue into my mouth, sending tiny electric shocks down my spine. This was enough to drown out my negative thoughts. It made me want him more.. It made me want more.

     Since it was my first time to do French, I just let him do it alone first and just be the one at the receiving end. When I finally got the hang of it and was finally ready to do it with him, I heard a familiar sound that brought me back to my senses.

     The ringtone that was set exclusively for Myungsoo's calls reverberated around the room.

     Myungsoo..

     My Myungsoo..

     My boyfriend Myungsoo.

     As if on cue, I carefully yet urgently pushed GD away and sat up. What have I done? My phone continued to ring and vibrate in my back pocket.

     GD gave me a puzzled look. "I'm sure that can wait," he said, slightly irritated.

     I shook my head slowly, still in disbelief. "No. This was a mistake." I could not believe that I cheated on my boyfriend. Getting a boyfriend in itself was something I could not even bring myself to wish for, so, naturally, the idea of cheating seemed alien to me.

     I heard GD scoff. "I can't believe this." He offloaded himself completely and properly sat on the other end of the sofa. "How was that a mistake? You're not drunk. You clearly knew what you were doing. You responded to everything so don't give me that bullshít."

     I drew my knees to my face and began to tear up. Please, someone tell me this is not real. Just a minute ago, I felt like a princess living in fantasy, and now, here I was, wishing that the fantasy would never turn into reality. However, luck never seemed to be on my side. 

     After a short while that seemed longer than possible, my phone finally stopped ringing.

     Upon finding the courage to face a fuming GD, I uttered in a small voice, "I did not mean any of this to hap—"

     "Well, it did happen!" GD cut off. His jaws clenched and his anger only grew by the minute.

     Not wanting to deal with whatever was about to come, I stood up and grabbed my bucket bag, which I previously placed on his outrageously expensive-looking coffee table.

    "Where do you think you're going?" he asked in a now less derisive tone. "Stop running away and start facing the consequences of your actions, Maki, for Pete's sake!" GD was already on his feet, with both of his hands clutching his hair in frustration.

     I could not bear this sight. Does he think raging like this would help the situation? I feel wronged. Why is he so angry with me? Was I the one who first showed affection? Who first made a move? Who promised happiness and all things great but ended up being the first one to run away? All these questions that I have been waiting so long to ask seemed too exhausting to even bring up. Why must I suffer with the burden of having to be the one to first bring them up when he was already starting to do those things all over again? Why?

     "Maki, please," he begged, his palms pressed against face, muffling his voice. Not earning a response from me, he continued, now gaining his composure with his arms dropped on his sides, "Please stay so we can talk."

     I wiped the tears off my face before I took a seat. He followed suit.

     "Are you really dating Kim Myungsoo?" he asked in a neutral tone, after enduring the silence. His eyes remained fixated on the coffee table.

     Although he could not see, I nodded. "Yes."

     I saw him bite his lower lip but he stayed silent for a good minute. "What are you going to do then?"

     "I'm going to tell him what happened and hope that he forgives me," I answered honestly without missing a beat. I could never afford losing Myungsoo. He is a good friend and a loving boyfriend. There is nothing more I could ask for. Well, except for his forgiveness, I guess.

     "How are you going to break it up with him?" he asked, still not bothering to spare me a glance.

     My head voluntarily leaned to the side as I processed his question. "You mean how I'm going to break the news to him that I cheated on him?"

     Finally, he looked at me, his eyebrows tugged towards each other. "No. How are you going to break up with him?"

     What? "What?"

     "What do you mean 'what'?" he asked, confusion evident on his face. "Are you actually not going to?"

     Matching the perplexed expression on his face, I told him, "That would depend on him, don't you think?"

     "How so?"

     "If he forgives me and decides to still be with me despite what I did, then I'd be thankful. Otherwise, to hell with this life." My hands unwittingly formed fists as I dreaded for the forthcoming revelation.

     "Are you serious?" he scoffed. "After what you did?"

     "What I did?" I repeated, taking full offense. "Hey, it takes two to tango."

     He sighed and turned his body towards me, consequently bringing one leg up on the sofa. "Do you really want to stay with him?"

     "Of course, because I love him," I told GD truthfully. Loving Myungsoo was like common sense. It was the most natural thing to do. Even if one does not like him, they would end up loving him after seeing who he really is and being with him for only a day tops.

     He sighed once again and looked at me straight in the eye, then said, "If you really do love him, then we would have never had that moment earlier."

     "Like I said, it was a m-mistake," I stuttered. It's not like I cheated on Myungsoo on a regular basis. It was a one-time mistake that could have been avoided, sure, but nevertheless does not mean anything close to what GD was accusing. "It was a mistake that will never happen again. Ever," I declared, meeting his gaze to tell him that I was dead-serious.

     One last time, GD expelled a defeated sigh and asked, with a tired expression on his face, "Are you gonna stay the night?"

-----