Spontaneous Shenanigans

Unexpectedly

     It was the second time I shared a room with a guy. The first time was with GD, of course. It was probably the best sleep I have ever had in my entire existence. It was the first time I felt secure around another person. But here I was, on my second experience of staying the night with another guy. This time, it was out of necessity, and not just some spontaneous shenanigans that later led to my self-destruction.

     I stood by the door, just observing L as he settled on the shabby bed that looked like could barely hold two people.

     He then paused and turned to face me. "Wae annawa?" (Why are you not coming?)

     I held my elbows and awkwardly scratched them. "Where's the other bed?" I asked.

     "No other bed," he replied. "Just this. Mian."

     "Where will I sleep then?"

     He scooted to the right side of the bed and lay down. He then tapped the empty space to his left as a response to my question.

     "Seolma..." (Don't tell me...)

     He gave me an apologetic smile and tapped on the empty spot again.

     "No way," I replied curtly.

     "Yes way."

     "That's not a good idea. And you know that."

     "Do you want me to sleeping there in the floor?"

     I looked around the room - completely ignoring his English because I, too, am not good in speaking Korean - and there was no sofa in sight.

     "Eotteokhajyo?" (What are we going to do?) I asked him although it was already futile.

     I have shared a room with a guy before, yes, but a bed? No. Never. That's just inappropriate.

     He heaved a deep sigh and walked toward me. He went behind me, grabbed my shoulders, and then pushed me toward the bed. He span me around and made me sit on the edge.

     I silently observed him all the while. What's he going to do next?

     "Sleep here," he said.

     "Neoneunyo?" (What about you?)

     He just shrugged his shoulders as he turned to walk away.

     "Eodi gayo?" (Where are you going?) I asked with urgency.

     "Shaweo, wae? Narang gallae?" (Will take a shower, why? Do you want to go with me?)

     His tone indicated that he was unhappy about the turn of events. I knew he did not mean it to come out offensive but still, I felt guilty. And so, after he disappeared to the bathroom, I grabbed the comforter and laid it on the floor. As I lay down, I immediately succumbed to my sleepiness. I would rather wait for him to finish taking a shower just to be polite, but the temptation was too strong. 

~~~~~

     I turned to the other side as my legs were already starting to feel numb in my current position.

     Everything happened so fast.

     You know that feeling when you're dreaming and in that dream, you suddenly fell and in real life, you jerked? That's what I felt. The only difference was that, in reality, I was actually going to fall had I not opposed it.

          But I don't remember sleeping on an elevated space at all.

     Immediately after regaining my balance, I opened my eyes to another pair before me, the owner's nose just an inch away. He probably woke up because I sort of pulled with urgency the comforter, that could hardly protect one's body, that he was clinging onto. Almost simultaneously, both of our eyes widen. It wasn't only because of the fact that I was actually sharing a bed with L but also the one that our face was so damn close to each other that I was sick worried that my morning breath reached him even if my mouth was firmly shut.

     As if on cue, we broke away and immediately sat up. In the process, I lost my balance and was about to fall off the bed when L caught my flailing arm and pulled me towards him.

     But it was not over yet.

     When he pulled me, he didn't anticipate the force and lost his balance too, thus, making the two of us fall to the other side of the bed. Half of his body fell, with his head resting awkwardly on the floor, while his legs remained on the bed, with his left one folded in an uncomfortable manner. I could have laughed at the sight of his body practically hanging by the bed had I not landed on top of him, with my bare stomach against his face.

     And I swear to the heavens I felt his lips against my skin, just above my navel! When was the last time I cleaned my freaking navel!?

     It took me a couple of seconds to get off him as I did not know how to. Our position was too uncomfortable for Pete's sake!

     After I was able to get up, I tugged my shirt and fixed it to where it should be. I was grateful, at the very least, that it was my stomach and not my chest. Just the thought of it had my insides tossing and turning.

     "M-mianhaeyo," I apologized, stuttering a bit.

     "G-gwaenchanha?" he asked after awkwardly getting out of his previous situation.

     I nodded and avoided his eyes. If I had a blade for a chin, I would have had a hole on my neck already because of how low my head was due to sheer embarrassment.

     "I... You... You was look cold so I put you up in bed. But I don't wanted to be cold too," he explained as hard as he could.

     "K-keuraeseo?" I acted like I did not care but deep down, my heart was melting and, at the same time, I wished that the ground also was, so I could disappear right then. Unlike before, my skin was now fairer and if I ever blushed, it would be evident.

     "Ani.. Sangcheo na syeosseo?" (Did you get hurt?) he asked with an expression on his face I couldn't read.

     I shook my head.

     He sighed in relief which actually made my heart melt a little. Keep them coming, please.

~~~~~

     "And where have you been?" Miss Jina asked as she opened the door after I rang the doorbell.

     Apparently, my manager called her when he couldn't find me as soon as he woke up.

     "I'm just right on time for the onset of my schedule though," I pointed out with a nervous smile.

     "Doesn't matter. I'm asking where you've been. I called your dorm back in the university but you weren't there either," she scolded.

     On second thought, I should have just accepted L's offer to cover for me. "I..." I sighed and gave up thinking of an excuse. "I was hungry, okay? I couldn't take it any longer!" I defended.

     She avoided my eyes and sighed.

     "Besides, I already lost a few pounds. I could afford some slack, right?"

     She sighed again before talking. "What did you eat?" By then, she already calmed down.

     "Ramyun cup," I answered softly.

     "And?"

     "That's all." When she didn't look convinced, I added, "I swear." Because someone wouldn't spend a few measly coins on kimchi.

~~~~~

     "Did you get yelled at?" L asked before the filming starts. "I knew it. I told you it would be better if I covered for you," he added when I just gave him look.

     I didn't really get yelled at, which was surprising, although it could be because it was my first time escaping and they probably just let me off the hook for that. However, I don't think I'd ever do that again. L asking me if I got yelled at only reminded me of the events that transpired that night.

     "Sashileun.. I didn't understand the second thing you said," I told him with a blank expression on my face.

     He curled a corner of his lips. "Hangugeo seonsaengnimeun nugunya?" (Who's your Korean Language teacher?)

     When I was about to answer, a pair of hands held my shoulders and a head appeared between us, facing L. "Naimnida," (Me,) he sang to L's face. Sung Jae then turned to face me. "Keuchi?" (Right?)

     I was caught off guard. His face was too freaking close to mine that I could not even bring myself to say something, anything. So, instead, I nodded absentmindedly.

     "Sagwa eobseo?" (Do you have any apple?) he then asked me, taking a seat on my left.

     I made a face at him as I remembered him stealing a bite from my apple. "Eobseoyo," I responded unabashedly.

     "Arasseo. Aratda." (Okay, okay.)


     After the set was all ready, we got down to business and I enjoyed myself in the process. I had a couple of scenes with multiple takes but still, I loved what I was doing. Every time I was on camera, it felt like I was doing the right thing. All the thoughts on how I will handle this career when my classes resume went down the drain.

-----