One And Only You

Unexpectedly

The look in his eyes drowned me. He was smiling gleefully, like he captured a precious treasure or something. If there was one thing I was so sure that I knew about L, it was the fact that when he is happy, it reaches his eyes. And his eyes never lie. Not only did they sparkle in the most alluring manner, they also gave me a reassuring look. Right there, in that very moment, I began feeling butterflies in my stomach. I smiled to myself, surprised by my sudden burst of courage to kiss back.

"Not so sure anymore, are you?" he asked. His voice was teasing. "Also, you have nice lips."

"I... I..." I was at a loss for words. How was I going to react to what just happened? The smile I was sporting just a while ago and the bliss that came with it were replaced by confusion, pulling me back to the harsh reality. What now?

He straightened and leaned back to his seat. He took a deep breath and slowly released it. He turned his head to me and then leaned closer. "I'm so sorry."

Those were the last words I wanted to hear. Another kiss and run? Oh, God. Spare me from another heartbreak.

He then held my hands, his left one awkwardly higher than the other because of my bad arm. I was already preparing myself to pull away and deliver my litany when he took another deep breath and looked me in the eye. "Let me make this right." He removed his other hand that was holding my left one to snatch whatever was inside his coat's pocket. He then placed his gaze back on where they originally belonged. His eyes were just as mesmerizing as a while ago. "Will you be my girlfriend?" he asked as he offered me a small velvety box.

Again, I was at a loss for words. "I... I..." Is this for real and not some nasty hidden camera prank?

He frowned. "Come on now. Don't tell me I was the only one who felt that spark during the kiss a while ago."

He wasn't the only one. I felt it too. I felt it real damn good. But how was I supposed to react to a proposal? It was the first time someone proposed to me anyway. I had no idea about the protocols.

"I..." I started.

He looked at me expectantly.

"I-I think the box should be opened first before you pop the question," I blurted out.

Way to go, Maki.

He smiled in relief and let out a chuckle. "Alright. I'm going to open it now." He did as he said and it revealed a silver necklace with a diamond heart pendant. It was cliché and I liked it. I've always wanted the cliché because it's a dream-come-true for an ordinary girl like me. I mean, I have other dreams. I have my dream career. I have my dream retirement home. But this is one I couldn't even bring myself to dream of since it was out of my reach. When you're too busy making sure you sleep with food in your stomach, you can't really afford to dream of having a nice guy for yourself. And a good-looking one at that.

     His beautiful eyes searched for mine, bringing me back to reality. And this time, reality was much better than my musings. My worries slowly vanished and I had him to thank. He popped the question once again. "I don't know when or how it started. I just know now how much I like you and how much I want to be with you always. That being said, will you be my girlfriend?" His grip on my hand tightened, showing me that he meant every word he uttered just now.

     I have never thought about it either. I mean, I always thought of him as a big brother, nothing more than that. Yeah, I have always admired his looks, especially his eyes and his smirk. I mean, he's an idol for a reason. But to be in a relationship with him? That's preposterous. uous, to say the least, as I sometimes thought of him as a real brother. Him and Sung Jae.

     "So...?" he urged for an answer.

     I thought about it once more.

     When he kissed me, I melted, that's for sure. It felt good. It felt nice. It kind of made me like him as a guy. You know that feeling when someone is just a wallflower to you until your friend tells you that the wallflower guy likes you and then you suddenly start to notice him and he'd turn out to be actually a likable person and you kinda sorta like them back? That.

     "You know what, it's alright if you don't answer now. I understand that it came as a big surprise since just a moment ago, we were fighting. And I was also ignoring you. I was surprised myself, to be honest. But this whole time that I was avoiding you, it helped me realize how much you mean to me and that I actually really like you. So what I'm saying is, you can take as much time as you want," he told me. He clearly was saddened but he hid it with his smile.

     "Yes!" I blurted.

     He looked at me with confusion. "YesYes as in you are going to take as much time as you want or-"

     "Yes, I want to be your girlfriend," I finished his sentence shyly, completely avoiding his eyes as much as possible. My skin has already become a tad bit fairer which made my blush a little more obvious than it used to be.

     He lifted my chin softly with his finger to force me to look at him in the eye. His mesmerizing orbs sparkled like they were going to cry. "You have no idea how happy I am right now," he murmured before pulling me into his arms. He surrounded me with his warmth and I have never felt safer. Perhaps, accepting his proposal to be his girl-

"Shiii!" I exclaimed in panic as I retracted from his embrace.

"Wae geurae?" he asked with a worried expression.

Should I tell him about Sung Jae's proposal too?

"I just got reminded of something.." I started.

Would telling him about it be a good idea?

"Don't tell me.. Do you have a No-Dating Contract?"

     "Oh?" Oh, no. Did I have one? I didn't really pay attention to it. It's not like I expected to be in a relationship as soon as I entered the entertainment industry. "Oh. I'm not sure. That's why I'm worried," I lied. Maybe he did not have to know.

He sighed and resigned into his seat as he gave it a thought. "Would it be alright with you if we keep it a secret for nowI mean, of course we will not announce it to the public, but I'm talking about our friends. Maybe they don't have to know about it yet." He examined my reaction as he carefully uttered each word. "Right?"

I nodded reassuringly. I didn't really mind if my friends were not on the know because the last time I talked to one of them, I dumped him.

~~~~~

     The stormy days were already a part of yesterday and would soon be only a distant memory. His eyes glistened like the morning sun which rays shone on him, as if he needed more spotlight to turn heads.

     Seo Ji Hoon slowly closed the gap between us. With the last few steps left, he ran toward me. He then carefully grabbed my waist and lifted me with all his might. With a content smile on his face, he whispered, "Saranghae."

"Nado saranghae," I answered as I lowered my face to kiss his inviting lips. We were in the middle of a busy street but he didn't mind the crowd of onlookers. Some took pictures, some giggled. But none of that mattered anymore. To him and me both.

"Cut!" the director yelled and everyone cheered per usual, only this time it lasted longer. We had just finished filming the last episode so everyone started becoming emotional.

Myung Soo laid me back down to the ground but his hands on my waist stayed longer, with his gaze never leaving my face. "I guess this is it. It's finally ended," he said.

     "We'll still see each other. Don't get sad," I reassured with a teasing smile. I leaned in a little to his ear. "Cheat on me and I'll gouge your eyes," I warned. I looked over his shoulders and saw the extras who acted as onlookers being escorted out of the filming area.

     "Ohu! No need for violent threats. I want no one else. There's only one and only you." He brought me to his arms and gave me a big hug. I was just about to hug him back when Eun Ji eonnie came up behind us while dragging Sung Jae with her.

     "Let's take a selca together!" she suggested. "Hana, deul, set!" L s his arm around my waist and we struck a pose. Sung Jae awkwardly took a spot beside me. I smiled to him as another shot was taken. He gave me a tight-lipped one. We still haven't talked it out. I would talk to him again, after attempting several times but to no avail, since he was always in a hurry after filming, and if he ever decides to stop being my friend after everything's said and done, then I guess that would be the end of it.

     Before another shot was taken, Ho Joon oppa rushed to us and posed with a 'peace' sign behind L and me. The staff then called us for a group picture that would include everyone. When we walked towards them, L and I almost held each other's hand. We briefly did but caught ourselves immediately, just in time before anyone could notice.

     We thanked the directors and all the members of the team as we approached them. I caught a glimpse of Miss Jina, standing next to some of the executives far behind the camera, and she gave me reassuring smile with a slight nod, telling me that I did a good job. And I could only hope that I really did. I bowed to show my respect, keeping in mind to approach her afterwards to personally thank her.

     It has been a wild ride. I could not, for the life of me, get used to having someone keeping tabs on me but it honestly felt like I was someone special. It felt like I was a great deal to people. I juggled everything without question and I honestly thought that I did it pretty damn well. I worked out six days a week; visited all sorts of doctors every week; learned the Korean language everyday, which then turned to every other day since, in their own words, I was a fast learner; went to promotional events even after filming for hours almost every damn day, but that was for the best so that it would not overlap with the start of the academic term; and made friends in the process, whom I hope to keep for as long as I can. And I had Miss Jina to thank. Things were looking quite bright since the airing of the pilot episode two weeks ago but we didn't want to get ahead of ourselves. We could only hope for the best outcome. And income, too.

-----