Ironically

Unexpectedly

     His eyes left mine so quickly I almost thought the eye-to-eye contact didn't even happen at all. There was no recognition or any hint of familiarity in them and I wasn't sure how that made me feel. But it certainly didn't make me happy.

     From 56 kilograms, I went down to 48. My skin got fairer and most of my acne marks disappeared. My nose became pointed. I've started wearing my hair down with its ends curled. I've began dressing a little more girly, and as a matter of fact, I was wearing a turtleneck dress beneath my truffle coat. I couldn't really blame him if he couldn't recognize me at all, but if he would find out what my name is and still wouldn't recognize me, all hell will break loose.

     The director introduced GD to the executive producers, including Miss Jina who has just arrived, and the crew and he then introduced himself to each of the actors who were all flabbergasted. Our table was in a corner so we were his last stop. When he was already nearing us, my co-actors in my table stood up for the introduction and I followed reluctantly.

     They were all done and it was now my turn. "Maki imnida. Yu Ma Ki," I introduced since that was the stage name Miss Jina and I agreed to use. "Bangapseumnida," I greeted and bowed as I struggled to feign ignorance and plaster a friendly yet aloof smile.

     "Annyeong haseyo. G-Dragon imnida," he greeted with a genuine-looking smile in return.

     My mind was in turmoil as I tried to figure out whether he was dead-serious not being able to recognize me or just blatantly ignoring me. The one-sided tension, if ever there was one, was killing me inside. What did I ever do to deserve this? Ironically, this question used to be how I expressed my gratitude to the heavens for the undeserving gift of meeting and getting to hang out with him, but now it has seemingly turned into a curse, or maybe it was really just a curse in the first place and my pain now is the price I have to pay for my naivety.

     "Can I sit with you, guys?" GD then asked. Son Ho Joon, who was sitting opposite me, scooted closer to Eun Ji eonnie to make space for him. GD sat next to him, opposite L.

     It was awkward at first but Ho Joon oppa, being the oldest in the group, broke the ice by initiating a topic for a small conversation. "How's the album promotion going?" he asked.

     "The world tour is tiring us all out but it's fun. The fans are amazing," GD replied.

     GD, Ho Joon oppa, Eun Ji eonnie, along with Sung Jae, talked about everything and anything about the show business industry while I sat quietly in my seat. I couldn't think of anything to say on the matter and besides, I was too preoccupied.

     "Wae geurae?" (What's wrong?) L asked me in a whisper.

     "Nothing," I whispered back and then smiled reassuringly when he raised an eyebrow.

     He then proceeded to whisper to my ear. "If you're worried about gaining weight because of the food, I know a place around here that serves healthy ones."

     I gave it a thought and then decided to accept the generous invitation.

     He smiled and then took a sip of water before he stood up. I did the same.

     "Eodi ga, Maki-ya?" (Where are you going, Maki?) Sung Jae asked.

     "Just outside," I answered.

     "We'll be right back," L stated before he and I bowed to everyone at the table.

     My eyes landed on GD's for a moment but left shortly since I couldn't figure out at all what he was thinking.

     I hung my shoulder bag on my right as we left the table. "Kaja, oppa."

     "Where are you two going?" asked Miss Jina, who was about to down a shot-glass of soju.

     "Just outside. We'll be back immediately," I told her.

     She nodded to give her permission and then downed the alcohol. I, then, followed L outside the restaurant.

     "Is it just nearby?" I asked.

     "Yeah. It should be just around here." We walked side by side quietly until he decided to pop a question. "What was going on there?"

     "What do you mean?" I asked cautiously.

     "You were suddenly quiet when Ji Yong sunbae arrived."

     "I was? I don't know. Maybe I was just shy, as usual."

     "Makes sense," he agreed. "We're here," he then announced after several minutes of walking when we arrived in front of a tiny establishment, located just a few meters away from the restaurant. We were greeted by a delicious smell when Myungsoo slid the door open for both of us.

     "Ahh. Mata," (Delicious,) I commented as I browsed through the home-cooked food in the glass case that housed them. "These are still meat though."

     "Aninde," (Nope,) he disagreed. "Those meat you see? They're vegetables that were processed to look like meat," he explained.

     "Ooh. Daebak," I uttered in amusement.

     I ordered the one with broccoli and other green veggies, in a translucent, viscous sauce. When I was about to fish my wallet out of my bag, he held my wrist and said, "My treat."

     "Whoa. Mr. Rich Kid," I teased.

     "Keureom," (Of course,) he joked back with a boyish smirk.

     The two of us were the only ones in the eatery so we just sat near the door, completely unbothered by the fact that we weren't wearing anything to disguise ourselves apart from our scarves. The food arrived immediately but there was only one plate set on the table. "Where's yours?" I asked.

     "I didn't order anything," he replied with a straight face.

     "Why not?"

     "There's galbi back at the restaurant so I'm good," he answered. He fixed his scarf casually, as if the fact that he came all the way here just to accompany me eat -- and even paid for my food -- isn't weird at all.

     "I'm not going to eat this if you're not gonna eat anything," I warned.

     He rolled his eyes and I found it the iest thing ever. Would you please stop making me want to squeal and fangirl in front of you? He took the chopsticks laying beside the plate and fed me a mouthful which I didn't anticipate. I had to immediately open my mouth to receive it or else the sauce would be all over my lips. "Just eat."

     "You didn't have to be harsh though. You almost pierced my mouth with the chopsticks," I complained.

     "Oops. Mian," he apologized. "Oh, right! Before I forget, when you receive your pay for this project, don't forget to pay me back, okay?"

     And just like that, I frowned in disappointment. "Then why did you stop me from paying earlier when you're going to ask me to pay you back anyway?"

     "Geuge anira," (That's not it,) he corrected with the corner of his lips curled up. "Hotel. Remember when we checked in a hotel-"

     I immediately covered his mouth to stop him from giving out any more details due to sheer embarrassment and the fact that both of our careers would be on the line when someone else hears our conversation. "Why are you being so loud? What if someone hears us?" I chastised. "And besides, that wasn't even a hotel. It was a motel. How much could that have cost?"

     "Look who's being a loudmouth now," he shot back, just in time to shut me up when a couple entered the eatery.

     I quickly looked down and munched on my food so as not to get myself in trouble. If a scandal breaks out even before the release of my debut drama, I'll be as good as rotten meat -- a veggie one.

     I looked up to L, who was unfazed by our vulnerability at the moment, and saw him smirking at the sight of me, getting nervous and all. "Nappeun nom," (What a jerk,) I muttered.

     We exited the eatery as stealthily as possible.

     "Oh? Infinite L aniya?" (Oh? Isn't that Infinite's L?)

     Or so we thought.

     L, who had a horrified look on his face, slid the door open and let me out first.

     "Manne!" (You're right!) replied the girl.

     As soon as L himself already got out, he grabbed my wrist and then ran.

     "Sign juseyo!" (Please sign me an autograph!) I heard the girl shout which prompted us to start running even faster like we weren't already. Someone's gonna have a date with a nebulizer later tonight.

     Shortly after, we arrived at the entrance of the restaurant with heavy breaths. I was particularly panting like crazy. I drooped and held my knees for support. I looked up to L who was taking deep breaths with his hand pressed on his chest and he looked back. We stared at each other while catching our breath and then we broke into fits of laughter. He bared his perfect set of teeth in the process and his lips, pink like a rose, put to shame mine. How could a guy like this look so perfect? But no. I won't even let myself go down that road. Never.

     "That was fun," I told him as our laughter died down.

     "Fun? Why am I funny?" he asked with furrowed brows.

     "Ani. That was fun," I corrected.

     "Oh." He smiled and then chuckled a little.

     When our laughters died down, we fixed ourselves up before entering, however, we stopped dead in our tracks when a silhouette of a man standing by the giant potted plant at the side of the restaurant walked toward the light and revealed G-Dragon with a lighted cigarette in hand. L and I briefly looked at each other before we bowed in respect to the mighty GD. All the while, I averted my eyes.

     If he couldn't recognize me because I was just a speck of dust that happened to catch his eye for a brief, negligible amount of time, that later on got discarded for being insignificant, then be it. From this moment forward, I would act the same. After all, I'm an actress.

     Just as we were about to turn our backs to head inside, we heard GD clear his throat a little, just enough to catch our attention. "Nideul eodiganni?" (Where did you two go?) he asked with an endearing smile on his face.

     "Uh. Maki here couldn't eat meat so I took her to a nearby vegan restaurant," L responded before I could. "Waeyo, sunbae?"

     "Oh keurae?" I heard him say, completely ignoring L's question. "Arasseo." He tossed the cigarette into the ashtray cover of a trash bin and then walked past between L and I, both standing by the entrance, to head inside the restaurant, bumping a little against my left shoulder in the process.

     What an a-hole.

     L then looked at me, completely unaware of what happened, and invited me back inside. "Kaja." (Let's go.) His smile reached his eyes and all I could ever do was trail after him and secretly swoon.

     The three of us reached our table at the far end corner in no time but we were greeted with smug faces, particularly directed at L and me because of all the suspicious looks they were giving the two of us.

     "Mwoya," (What's with this,) I breathed out nervously.

     "I've got a picture of you two," Eun Ji eonni spilled in a singsong.

     "What picture?" L asked in utter confusion. He then looked at me with questioning eyes but I could only shrug.

     "Wanna take a look?" she teased.

     I nodded innocently. When she was about to hand it over, however, a hand grabbed it quickly and so carelessly it almost fell to the bowl of naengmyun soup on the table.

     "Neo wae irae?" (What's up with you?) I asked Sung Jae, baffled by his suddenly irrational behavior.

     His face was all scrunched up like a kid's when throwing tantrums. "Chinguya," he called, and a pang of inexplicable emotions strung together struck me. The strange effect of the word seemed ironically familiar. I've already gotten used to Sung Jae calling me that but GD's presence gave a different mixture to the feeling it came with. "Is this real? Is it really the two of you? Whoa. I can't believe this," he lamented with a disappointed look in his face. "I was there the entire time!"

     "How am I supposed to know if that's really me? Let me take a look." As I took a hold of eonni's phone, I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. When I turned to look at my side, my face immediately heated up as L's was only a few inches away. I quickly came to my senses and stopped gaping and then focused on the matter at hand. However, I had the surprise of my life, and I felt heat creep on my face yet again, when I saw the picture. In it, I was biting one edge of a beer can and L was biting the opposite side, and we were staring at each other. We both had dying eyes -- due to drunkenness, I suppose -- and it looked like we were having an intense flirtatious stare-down! This MUST be deleted!

     Myungsoo oppa took the phone from my hand, and I was glad he did because I had to clutch my face with my hands to hide my blush.

     I miss the good ole days when I didn't have to worry about such things.

     Possibly because of curiosity too, GD took the phone from L's grip and checked it out for himself. I saw a smirk play on his face before he lifted his gaze up. He alternately looked at L and I before smirking once again. "You two will make a cute couple."

     Did I hear it right? Did I just hear GD say that?

     "I second the motion!" Ho Joon oppa butted in.

     "Keunde," he added and everyone gave their attention to GD to hear what he had to say, "you can't date each other... yet."

     But of course. Duh! If we did then no one would watch our drama and to the dumpster it will go!

     "Why not though?" L asked in a serious tone and everyone turned to him in shock.

     "For obvious reasons," GD replied. "Or is it not that obvious?"

     "I honestly don't think people would ditch a good drama just because the two lead actors fell in love with each other behind the camera." He looked dead serious and everyone was on the edge of their seat. "In fact, I think people will love the drama even more."

     Did he just say what I heard him say? What is L up to?

     To escape the awkward atmosphere, I excused myself and headed to the restroom down the hallway. Just what on earth was that about!?

     Is... Is L... trying to suggest something?

     Is he actually suggesting that we make it look like we're dating so that people would watch the drama? That's just absurd!

     I dried my hands that I had just washed and took a deep breath to ready myself just in case he'd actually suggest to do such a horrible thing just to get our drama watched by intrigued people. With a scrunched up face, I exited the restroom, but when I rounded the corner, my step fell short and I retracted my foot and took a step back to avoid the impending collision.

     I looked up and a poker-faced G-Dragon greeted me in the face. I couldn't think of anything to say to show him that he did not have any effect of any sort on me. The frustration was unbearable.

     As any sane person would do, I slightly bowed to him. I was about to walk past him when I heard him say something, just enough to stop me from walking away.

     "I recognize you," he said in straight English, which ultimately brought back memories and familiar emotions from the distant past.

     I couldn't bring myself to turn around. I was afraid. I was so afraid of what was going to unfold next.

     Where will I find myself after turning around? In his embrace after he tells me that everything was just a front and he actually recognizes me and was just testing me? I was unsure, myself, if that would please me on a normal situation, but to heck with it. Or will I find myself walking back to the restroom to weep in a corner cubicle after he tells me that, even though he recognizes me, he has no intention of continuing any sort of connection we had at all?

     Pretending that I didn't hear anything and just continue walking away would be what's best for me and my heart, but I'd been in a halt for too long now that I was sure he already knew that I actually did hear him. Besides, being naturally curious, I'd probably turn around anyway. And so I finally did.

     "Ne?" (Yes?) I asked innocently, just to get him to elaborate.

     "I recognize you."

     "Jeoyo?" (Me?)

     "Yes."

     I gave him a look of confusion. Way to go, Maki. You're one hella good actress now.

     If you think I'm going to let you confuse me and make me give up first on this game, whatever it is, you're going home a loser, GD.

     "From where?" I asked.

     He breathed out a smile, that almost looked like a smile of defeat to me, and said, "I found you freezing cold in front of an apartment building. That was you, right?"

     "Oh, that was you? Wow, you looked different then! I think you had, like, tiny facial hairs around your mouth." Just like in every scene we have filmed, I eventually relaxed and immersed myself into the drama.

     "Yeah.."

     "And I think you mistook me for someone else that time. I couldn't really remember the name. It was so cold I could barely keep my mind straight. What's the name again?" I asked as I gave him an expectant look.

     I could sense that he tensed up a little as I also caught him work up his jaws for a brief moment.

     There was a long pause before he opened his mouth to say something. "I... don't really remember. Maybe you were just that, so cold you could barely keep your mind straight. And you thought I mistook you for someone else."

     To say that I was in even more pain, if that's even possible, is an understatement.

-----

There you go! Please continue looking forward to the next chapters. Thank you lots! 😁