Round Three

Unexpectedly

     My head throbbed as I rolled over to lie on my other side. I tried to open my firmly shut eyes but it was a difficult task to do. They were heavy. I blindly grabbed the duvet that was draped over my stomach and pulled it over my head to block the sunlight that was trying to burn my face. The duvet was smooth on my hands and it smelled... masculine. I blinked my eyes, and endured the headache, just to get rid of the sleepiness. I remained disoriented until the soft bed I was sleeping on moved. Another person sat, facing my back.

     I don't remember having a soft bed that could be pressed this deep when sat upon!

     I emerged from the duvet and rose to a sitting position, with my back still facing the unknown person, when I couldn't remember - no matter how hard I tried - how I got home last night.

     "Did I wake you up?" he asked.

     I turned around to face him, alarmed. "Where am I?" I asked automatically.

     "Don't you remember what happened last night?" he asked back.

     "I wouldn't be asking you now if I do. Right?" I snapped.

     "Whoa. I let you sleep on my bed and made you breakfast and this is what I get?"

     His voice sounded offended. Black circles were evident under his eyes.

     "What, are you already thinking about having a round three?" he then asked when I remained silent.

     "What round three? What are you talking about?" I asked, still a little snappy. I perked up to stretch my aching back. "Why does my back hurt?"

     "You were drunk out of your wits," he replied.

     "No, I wasn't. I don't drink alcohol," I objected.

     "Oh, yeah, you do. Heck, we even had a round two!"

     "You're kidding." My face was clouded with terror as I imagined myself drunk. I don't remember anything at all!

     He held up his left wrist and it showed a bite mark. "You even bit me."

     Oh, no, I didn't.

     I double face-palmed myself and it triggered another piercing pain in my head. How could I let loose myself like that? It's very unlike me!

     "Oh, come on. It's alright," he comforted but a smirk was playing in his lips.

     "I'm sorry for being a handful," I apologized.

     "It's alright. Although, it's kind of my fault that your back hurts a little." It was then his turn to flash an apologetic smile.

     "What happened?" I asked, my brows furrowed.

     "On our way home, I was holding your waist to prevent you from falling, but then you fell backwards. So, you sorta kinda just hung on my arm like a coat," he explained, avoiding my eyes. "And I think, I just think, I heard a crack."

     I cringed at the image of a lifeless me in my head. I must have given him a hard time last night. "It's alright. Ultimately, it's still my fault for getting drunk like that," I told him. "But wait, how did we get a second round?"

     "Well," he started, "we were on our way home already last night and then you saw a stall on the sidewalk. You were pretty much insistent about it. I think you sobered up that time you were gone, so you wanted to get drunk again."

     "Why did you let me drink again?" I rolled my eyes at him but he raised his palms up in defense.

     "You tried to grab the wheel from me. I don't wanna die in a car crash," he defended.

     "Okay, alright. But why am I here? Where am I?"

     "I told you, you're in my apartment," he answered with an eye-roll.

     "But you know where I live."

     "Yes, but you didn't want to get out of my car," he shot back.

     "Why not?"

     "How the hell should I know?" he countered. "Oh, right, you were mumbling about G-Dragon."

     My ears shot up upon hearing GD's name. I didn't tell him about us, did I? I tried to recall the happenings last night but all I could remember was seeing GD in the nightclub. "What did I say? Whatever it was, don't take it seriously. Maybe I was just starstruck seeing him in Itaewon last night," I lied. I did not say anything stupid that might endanger GD's career, did I?

     "Well, I think you said he was a jerk or something. Why? Did he intimidate you that much that time we went on a double date with Emma and Eric?"

     "Maybe?"

     "Fair enough. A lot of people say he's a bit arrogant. Maybe that's true," he mused.

     "I don't think so," I defended, but a little too fast because he raised an eyebrow.

     He didn't catch on, did he?

     My eyes wandered as I tried to come up with excuses. But then, they landed on a business card, sitting on the bedside table. "Is that mine?" I asked Dong Jun as I remembered receiving it from a middle-aged woman.

     "Yeah. Where did you get it?" he asked.

     And then, all at once, the memories of last night flooded into my head and I remembered everything. "Oh, God. What time is it?" I got up and fixed my dress, a bit thankful that he didn't change me into PJs.

     "A quarter to nine, I think. You going somewhere? Today's Monday, yes, but just to remind you, we're on our break."

     ", I'm running late!"

     I ran around the room to collect my things and then stuffed them in the sling-bag that I borrowed from Emma.

     I checked out my face in Dong Jun's bathroom and was surprised to see that my make-up was gone. "Did you wash my face last night?" I asked, peeking through the door I slightly opened.

     He spun around his computer chair he was sitting on to face me. "Yeah. It was a mess. And I heard sleeping with make-up on gives you pimples. You're welcome." He then went back to face his computer again. But before I closed the door, I heard him shout, "Hurry, the breakfast I made you is getting cold!"

     I washed my face as fast as I could. I dabbed toothpaste on my index finger as a substitute for a toothbrush. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

     When I emerged from the bathroom, Dong Jun already dozed off. He was sprawled out on his bed.

     Where did he sleep last night? Did he even sleep at all?

     To show my gratitude, I left him a note on his study table after stuffing my face with the omelette he made.

     I snuck out quietly. I gently closed the door and when I turned around, my mouth fell open as I witnessed before me the rest of his apartment. I thought his room was already it. He already had everything inside.

     I dialed Miss Jina's number as soon as I got out of the apartment building. She immediately answered. "Uh, annyeong haseyo. Maki-yeyo. The one you met last night at the club's restroom," I told her. It still feels awkward speaking to a Korean without the honorifics.

     "Oh, finally! Where are you? The auditions are ending soon. Please tell me you're coming."

     "I am. But I don't know the directions," I told her.

     "Just take a cab and tell the driver you're off to MBS. And then when you get here, tell the guard my name. He'll lead you to me. I already instructed him."

     "Oh, okay. Thank you. I'll be there soon."

     But I don't have enough money for a cab! The restaurant I'm working at won't pay me until next week!

     Despite my annoyance, I decided to take a cab anyway. I told the driver where I was going and then settled comfortably in my seat. I began thinking how the auditions will be held. I've never been in one, apparently. What if I will only make a fool of myself? Thinking about it, it made realize that Miss Jina probably wanted me to audition for an ugly minor character. But I then remembered her telling me that I'm perfect for the main character. Seriously, what drama would cast an ugly girl for the lead role? And not even a Korean. In which part do I look like one? My eyes are a bit tiny, yes, but my skin tone is sooo Filipino. Not to mention my flat nose.

     Not even after five minutes, the cab already stopped in front of a tall building. I looked at him on the rearview mirror and so did he. "Oh? Oh." I handed him the money and got out as I realized that we have already arrived at the MBS station. He didn't even tell me that it was just nearby! I could've just walked!

     I tried to calm myself down and tricked myself into thinking that this is a good opportunity to make money. Whether this drama makes money or not, they'll still pay me. So I took a deep breath and entered the enormous building to get this over with.

     The guard led me to a hall and then left me without a word. A handful of people went in and out. To be fair, none of them looked anything like Jun Ji Hyun. And none of them looked Korean. Just what is this drama all about? Don't I even get a primer or something?

     I took another deep breath before I pushed the door open. But another person opened it from the other side. I almost rammed myself against the door that swung open toward me. It then revealed a fine-looking gentleman that almost made me forget how to breathe.

     Is that... Is that Lee Jong Suk? Oh, dear God.

     And then, just when I thought the sight of him was already enough to tickle my insides, he smiled at me. He freaking smiled at me before he and his manager took off.

     Holy guacamole.

     The next person that emerged from the door was Miss Jina. She actually looked relieved when she saw me. "Oh, thank God, you're here."

     I just smiled and then followed her inside. "See, I don't really go on auditions. You may want to give me a briefing or something," I told her.

     "Here's what's gonna happen. We'll give you a few lines and you act it out. And that's it. Easy as that, right?" Her smile seemed sketchy but I believed her anyway.

     "Right. By the way, what was Lee Jong Suk doing here?"

     Her face turned sour before answering. "He was supposed to be the lead actor but he dropped it."

     What!? Lee Jong Suk!? Lead actor of this drama!? Seriously!? Oh, this is not just a simple drama if they cast actors like him.

     For a moment there, I pictured him and me in a kissing scene I'd purposely turn into NGs just to get him to kiss me a hundred of times.

     Coming here isn't as bad as I thought it would be then. "Why did he drop it?" I asked.

     "It has conflicts with his other drama with Han Hyo Joo," she replied. "We were thinking about casting Kim Woo Bin but he has also another drama with Suzy. As of the moment, the spot is open."

     Kim Woo Bin!? Kim Woo freaking Bin!? Oh, God. The best friends. Another imagination seep through my mind. Lee Jong Suk as the lead actor, Kim Woo Bin as the second lead, and I as the lead actress. I would hit it off with the two of them and then ultimately will choose Jong Suk, but still I got to hook up with Woo Bin so all is well. How great would that be!?

     Before I could even go any more insane, I mentally hit myself in the head. In your dreams, Maki. In your dreams.

     Shortly after, a woman in her late twenties approached Miss Jina. I assumed she was informing her that I'm the last applicant because she turned to me afterwards.

     "Okay, it's your turn," Miss Jina told me. "Don't be nervous. Just do what they ask you to and you'll be fine. Imagine yourself in the situation and just feel it. If the scene is sad, try to think of the reason why you were crying last night." She then handed me an application form. "Fill this out real quick," she ordered.

     Okay, that sure is helpful.

     Nevertheless, I nodded and took the form from her and filled it out. I left the parents info section blank per usual. I handed it back to her when I was done. "I don't have a 1x1 picture with me, though," I told her.

     "That's alright." She then went up front and gave my form to the panel.

     "Maki-ssi," a man who looked like in his late thirties called.

     I walked toward the designated spot for me in hesitation. I glanced on my left and saw a couple of doctors, talking to each other and then scrutinizing me. I knew they were doctors because some of them were wearing white coats.

     Just what on earth is this show all about?

     One of the panelists then hemmed and I faced them as a guy handed me sheets of paper.

     Did I make the right decision? This won't interfere with my studies later, right? Sure, we're on our break now, but what about when classes resume? Damn, I didn't really think this through. But since I'm already here, I better make sure I won't be a laughingstock at the very least.

-----

Hey, guys! What did you think of the story so far, especially this plot twist? I would appreciate the comments. Thank you! :)