My New Favorite

Unexpectedly

He kept trying on stuff - from beanies to sunnies to accessories. I almost forgot he's a fashionista.

He would occasionally try something on me. He picked up a pair of sunnies with a pair of aqua blue glasses. He removed the one I was wearing and switched it with the one he picked.

I was too preoccupied to hear what he mumbled as he scanned my face. I didn't even bother to ask about it.

"Ya. Earth to Maki." He let go of my face as he tried catching my attention and I snapped out of it.

"Oh? Mian." I apologized.

"Hey, are we okay? Did I make things awkward between us again?" he asked, worried.

I immediately regret acting like - I don't even know how I'm acting right now - upon seeing him worried like this. It's his free day and I've done nothing but ruin it.

"What? No! It's just.. I don't have enough with me right now to buy these." I explained, which was half true, so I wasn't exactly lying.

He lowered his mask and smiled ever so sweetly as he ruffled my hair with his right hand.

It warmed my heart, seeing him smile like that, so I didn't mind him ruining my already ruined hair. Instead, I lowered my mask too and flashed him a genuine smile.

I'm not going to mess this up.

"I said it looks good on you. I'll buy it for you." he told me. I just let him. I won't stop and question his kindness again. If it makes him happy, whatever.

I nodded my head and then he proceeded to pay the vendor. It was then I noticed that he paid for two pairs. And then it dawned on me that he bought two beanies with bear ears a while ago - one is black, the other is red, which is the one he tried on me.

I lifted my sunnies and narrowed my eyes at him in suspicion.

When he noticed my facial expression, he chuckled. "What?" he asked innocently, still smiling.

"Why are you buying stuff in pairs?"

He shrugged his shoulders and then took the things he bought.

"Let's go?"

I nodded and smiled back at him. I let my sunnies rest on the bridge of my nose and put my mask back on.

I won't let my curiosity take control of me. I won't ruin this for him. Repeat a thousand times. This is going to be my mantra for the rest of the day.

We then moved on to another stall that sells scarves and gloves.

"This is for you. And this." He put on my hands the pair of red knitted gloves he chose and then the brown and black checkered scarf on my neck.

"I don't think I'm gonna need these anytime soon." I said in hesitation.

"Shush. Winter is just around the corner." he countered.

I raised an eyebrow at him and then laughed. He's kind of cute sometimes.

"And then you wear this. And this." He put on me the pair of sunnies he bought for me and then the beanie. He then proceeded to wear his.

We seriously look like a legit couple now. I can feel my insides doing somersaults. I secretly clenched my fists to prevent myself from shrieking. He's making me feel things I've never felt before and it's making me nervous.

"There. You're all covered. Now let's take a picture." he said as he took his phone out of his back pocket, smiling. "You won't have any reason left to refuse, right?" he challenged, as he revealed his beautiful orbs to wink at me. He put his mask back on and switched on his front cam.

I sighed. I guess I'll have to oblige. Besides, this is his day. "Fine. You win." I told him, smiling from ear to ear and I don't know why. Good thing he can't see it.

He held his phone on his right arm and laced the other on my shoulders. He tilted his head a little towards me, resting his cheek on my temple. He's too close to me and I'm struggling to calm my raging hormones. Repeat mantra. Repeat mantra. Oh, boy, this is going to be difficult.

We smiled even if it won't show on the photo. If it will, then I'll be ed up because I'm smiling like there's no tomorrow. Boy, oh, boy.

He took a couple more in different angles and poses. I guess me all covered up made me loosen up a bit. And his closeness made me feel all tingly inside.

"Aahh. You're my new favorite." he muttered, smiling to himself, as he browsed through our pictures.

I honestly felt my heart skip a beat.

-----