Sweet, Beautiful Lie

Unexpectedly

     The most difficult thing about lying is that you have to have a good memory to keep your story together. One tiny detail that does not match the story can make it go crumbling down to the point of no return. Unless you're an expert in lying. Which seemed to be the case for the great GD.

     "Uh, you mean 'chingu'? Why? Are we not friends yet?" he asked innocently.

     Until when are you going to keep this up, Kwon Ji Yong?

     I sigh-smiled to show him that I wasn't backing down either. "We're not exactly friends, you know," I began. "Are you like that to everyone? Because I thought you're someone who's shy around other people that you're not closed with."

     "Well, yeah-"

     "Exactly."

     "Hey, why am I getting the third degree? If you hate it that much, then I'm sorry. I won't do it again," he apologized with a chuckle.

     "Did I come off intimidating? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to." I had a straight face on so my apology was just as insincere as his.

     "Listen, Maki. I have no idea how we started on the wrong foot but it would be nice if we start getting along now. Can we start over?"

     He was grinning expectantly and it was as if he really had no idea who I was. No. He had no idea who I was at all. I'd be lying if I said that it did not hurt the least bit because damn, I was in excruciating pain.

     "So, what do you say? Can't we?" he asked again when I stayed silent.

     I gave it a thought and why the hell not? I smiled to myself and said, "Sure we can. It's just that, it's hard to trust people nowadays. You let your guard down when you start getting used to their presence and the next thing you know, they're already nowhere to be found."

     "Now I see where you're coming from." He smiled back at me with eyes like straight lines.

     Oh, what a sweet, beautiful lie. You have no idea where I'm coming from and sure as hell don't know what it feels like to be there. Because if you do, you wouldn't be making a fool out of me now.

     "Might as well do it right this time." He then held out a hand. "Hi. I'm Kwon Ji Yong. You can just call me Ji Yong."

     I reluctantly took his hand for a handshake but as soon as I did, I forgot why I was hesitating in the first place. His hand was warm and his grip was tight enough for a casual handshake. It sent all sorts of sensations down my stomach, the same effect he used to have on me, but it wasn't as strong anymore. "Seems a little rude to call you by your name if you ask me. But, hi to you, too. I'm Maki. Yu Ma Ki."

     "Well, it's okay with me if you drop the honorifics when we're alone."

     "If you say so, Ji Yong," I challenged with a smirk and he chuckled a bit.

     When it seemed like it was already a second too long that we were holding each other's hand, I retrieved mine.

     I was already getting used to my current lifestyle so I don't see any reason why I wouldn't get used to his presence and the mind games that comes with it. I may also be able to get rid of any residual feelings I have left for him. Besides, he's only doing a cameo and, if not never, we'll only see each other once a year, more or less, after today. The entertainment world is bigger than it seems. Up to this day, I haven't bumped into any idol-actor yet aside from my co-actors. And I've been everywhere.

~~~~~

     "Nervous?" L asked.

     I looked at the crowd before me and there was no doubt, I was close to peeing my pants -- or dress, to be more accurate. The fake diamonds on my chest that adorned the boring, white, backless mini dress I was wearing sparkled before the faces of the media personnels who were all eager to ask their own questions. My gladiator sandals took the cake, though. They reached my knees and each strap was dolled up with an array of flashing ornaments that I think were also fake diamonds. In short, I was literally dazzling everyone. And I bet all of these diamonds that everyone in the crowd was already annoyed because of all the light that was being reflected on them. Heck, I even saw someone in the crowd shooting daggers at me.

     "I'm nervous, yeah, but I'm fine. Don't worry," I answered back with a small smile. I was able to answer well all questions directed to me thus far and I think I was doing great smiling at everyone. So far, so good.

     "Yu Ma Ki-ssi," called one of the reporters, one I noticed that was silent the entire time. "How does it feel like to be the lead of a much-anticipated drama when it's your first time actingI mean, a lot of small-time actors are out there, auditioning here and there, and, up until now, can't land a major role."

     I automatically looked at Miss Jina who was standing a few feet away with an alarmed expression on her face. She then signaled someone in our team down the stage, near the media. When I saw the said person approach the rude reporter who seemed like someone who didn't receive much love from his parents, I lifted the microphone to my face. "Gwaenchansseumnida. Nan daedap su isseumnida," (It's okay. I can answer,) I told them, to which Miss Jina reacted with a concerned look. Through my peripherals, I also saw Sung Jae on my left and L on my right with the same facial expression. "To be honest, Sir, at some point, I thought about how unfair this would be to the ones who truly deserve this -- the ones who worked day in and day out but have yet to land a lead role, or even just a supporting role at least. I didn't tell anyone about this because I was afraid they'd call me an ingrate, or worse, a hypocrite." By then, my palms already started to sweat like freaking waterfalls. "In my opinion, if we keep doubting newbies like this, we'll never get anywhere. This mindset is the exact reason why newbies eventually end up like the small-time actors you talk about that only have cameo appearances. However, I don't deny the fact that I was indeed luckyI was at the right place, at the right time." I looked at the reporter in the eye and said, "I was lucky, yes, but certainly not incapable." I breathed in and then out. "Thank you. That's all," I finished.

     The crowd fell silent and right then, I was already preparing myself for the upcoming backlash. Korean netizens are no joke. If they like you, they'll love you until the end. But if they don't, they also have the capacity to send you to hell to the point of no return. I've seen idols and actors alike whose lives were ruined just because of a single mistake. But I'm in no position to judge. Who knows, I may just be a little too quick to ride on the stereotypes.

~~~~~

     "Daebak," Sung Jae breathed out in amusement right after the press conference. The guy didn't even wait for me to be seated.

     I grabbed one of the water bottles sitting idly on the table and downed it in one go. I sat on one of the stools and proceeded to check my phone. "Mwoga?" I innocently asked with an uninterested tone. The crowd's applause after my mini speech was still echoing in my head but it wouldn't hurt to act cool about it for once just to feel a little better about myself. After all, it ain't sure yet if netizens won't really criticize me because of it.

     He leaned in closer and held both of my shoulders and said, "From now on, I'll do anything for you. But in return, you have to help me handle the media." Dude was clearly amazed.

     "But," I started, leaning in closer to him, too, "isn't that the job of your manager?"

     "So?"

     "Then you'd have to pay me, of course." I stared him down, waiting for him to bite the bait. I wouldn't mind some extra cash into the bag. If I get lucky, I won't have to do part-time jobs anymore after the exchange program just to get by. It would finally be my turn to live and study comfortably. The odds would finally be in my favor.

     "What are you two doing?" L asked from a distance. But that wasn't what snapped me out of my fantasies. It was the way he said it, like he was agitated or something. Poor guy must've suffered from diarrhea again.

     Before I could even answer his question, however, a weight was lifted off my shoulder -- literally, not figuratively -- and before I knew it, I was already on the floor with, I believe, a broken bone or two. And before I could even recover from the shock, a soft, squishy, moist thing already fell on my lips. And that thing came with a pair of eyes. And a nose.

     Sung Jae and I were both wide-eyed and just as shocked by the unexpected turn of events. After the awkward parting of our lips away from the other -- with his body still on top of mine -- almost simultaneously, we turned to L, the sole root of this spectacle. Horrified by the fact that I had just been kissed without my consent, and with a broken bone at that, I squeaked with all my might. "NEO BABOYA!?"

     Sung Jae, being too close to me, covered both of his ears, which in turn caused the majority of his weight shift to the core of his body, making me choke on myself. It would have been my best angry act towards L had I not ended up with an episode of endless coughing. Sung Jae immediately got off me, apologized, and helped me get up. It was already awkward enough to remove my legs uncomfortably resting on top of the tipped-over wooden stool, why did I have to wear a freakin' dress, too?

     While Yook Sung Jae was being a gentleman, helping me get my composure back, L was just glued to the ground, frozen in his position. Apparently, he thought it was a good idea to slap Sung Jae's arm to get it off my shoulder.

     "That wasn't supposed to happen, though," he murmured.

     "What exactly did you think was going to happen?" By this time, I had already regained my composure, but not my perfectly fine right arm. Though, I made sure I was calm when I asked him that. After all, a person who's calm during an argument is scarier than a hysterical one.

     Instead of answering, however, he ran away and off he went. What is wrong with him?

     "You okay?" Miss Jina asked as soon as she got by my side. The commotion immediately died down after Miss Jina shooed them away. They were just make-up artists and managers, though -- all on our side. No big deal. No media problem whatsoever. But the thing is... I'll be getting a freaking cast!

-----

Hey, guys! I've changed the entire first part. I also changed the tense of the first two parts but now I think it'd be better to stick to my original plan. It's because I still can't embrace present tense in first person POV stories. Sarreh~ 😅