Confidence Boost

Unexpectedly

     Although I still had a week left before I could be covered with make-up, the second photoshoot still pushed through. The first one that was held about a week before my surgery was hell for me. I don't even take pictures of myself when no one's around, let alone have it taken by professional photographers with dozens of people gathered around. And some of those people were no ordinary ones -- they were actors for Pete's sake!

     "Hana, deul, set!" shouted the photographer and I put L into a headlock while I projected an angry face.  We did several iterations of the pose until we moved on to the next one where Sung Jae was in it. As instructed, Sung Jae grabbed me by the hips until our gaze met. My right hand was pressed against his chest while my left wrist was firmly held by L who acted annoyed by the situation. The next pose consisted of us all friendly with each other, me in the middle, with each of my arms resting on their shoulders. The next ones were only with Sung Jae. Most of our poses were his idea. One of which was me, looking straight at the camera and him looking right at me.

     "I prefer your old nose," he whispered, which made me turn my head and glare at him. Right then, the camera flashed.

     More pictures were taken but in different settings and different poses and angles. Somehow, I managed to get used to everything and got through it. When it was finally over, everyone exchanged their gratitude and proceeded to go on their own ways. The drama team went to the place where the next schedule of filming an hour later was set.

The crew already set everything up when we arrived. Some members of the staff proceeded to do each actor's make-up and wardrobe.

"PDnim!" I heard a member of the staff called to the main director while they were setting up.

"Wae? Museun il?" (Why? What's going on?) the director asked.

     "Close your eyes," the make-up artist told me and I did.

     "I have good news for you, PDnim!" I heard the staff tell the director.

     "Oh geurae? Mwonde?" (Oh, really? What is it?) asked the director who sounded excited for the good news.

     "First good news, our first wave of publicity materials were well-received! The people were intrigued by the new upcoming drama!"

     "That really is a great news! This calls for a celebration later," he happily declared. "But, first good news? So you mean there's another?"

     "Ne! Our guest for episode 10 declined,"

     "How is that a good news?"

     "Because someone else volunteered to do it. Someone who is WAY better," the staff teased with an element of suspense in his voice.

     "Ah jinjja? Nu-?" (Oh, really? Wh-?)

     I didn't hear a response from the staff so maybe he whispered it to the director.

     "JINJJA!?" I heard the PD exclaim in surprise.

     This must be a shocking good news then.

     I then heard them shout praises and gratitude and they squeaked like teenage girls.

     "Ja.. All done!" my make-up artist announced.

     I looked at my reflection on the mirror and was pleased at what I saw. I really look different now.

     I thanked the make-up artist and then proceeded to change clothes. When I got to the dressing room, Eun Ji eonnie was already there, about to finish getting changed.

     "I heard that the pictures from the first photoshoot were well-received by the people," she began. "I guess this is a good start, don't you think so?"

     "I guess it is. But, eonnie, to be honest, I'm kind of scared. What if I'll get criticized a lot when the show starts?"

     "To be honest too, you will be, at some point. But it would be up to you if you let it get to you. Take the constructive criticisms as your guide in the industry and let the destructive ones fall on deaf ears -- but that's for the better because they will only confuse and hurt you."

     "Gomawo, eonnie," I thanked her with a smile. I was somehow relieved by her words. "I really needed that confidence boost."

"You have to maintain it then. The press conference is in two days."

"Oh, right. The press conference," I echoed with drooped shoulders.

     "Oh, come on. We'll be there the entire time. Fighting!" she cheered before she exited the room.

Before I could even have the time to feel anxious, a member of the staff already swooped in and gave me the set of clothes I was going to change into.

     "I'm going to do an ad-lib," Sung Jae informed me while we were on standby. "Is it okay with you?"

     "Depends on what you're going to do," I replied. But of course, I had to ask. What if he's gonna smack my head or something?

     "Well, nothing special. Just a little extra. Nothing to worry about, I swear," he promised, extending his pinky to me.

     I reached and did a pinky-swear with him. "Alright, then. If you're gonna hit me, I'm gonna hit you harder. I wouldn't mind an extra take of the scene," I warned him.

     "Aigoo. What do you take me for?" he replied with a frown.

     I raised both of my eyebrows, challenging him.

     "Arasseo, arasseo. You have my word. I don't want your nose to fall off either."

I shot him a glare before I put him in a headlock and tried to choke him. "Mworago?" (What did you say?) This guy was digging his own grave.

     He kept tapping my arms to release him but I wouldn't budge. "Mian, mian, mian!" he begged and begged.

~~~~~

     "Do you really think he will love you back, just because you look pretty now? Oh, come on, Mia. Don't be too naïve," Kim Joon taunted.

     My heart beats faster than usual every time I see his face -- but not in a good way. He's too blinded by his wealth and fame. He's arrogant and he thinks he can get anything he wants. But I was about to prove him wrong.

     "What do you want?" I asked in gritted teeth.

     "Seo Ji Hoon's downfall," he replied curtly.

     "Then why-"

     "And you," he added, answering my question before I could even utter it.

     "I guess you'll be going home with nothing then," I shot back with a smirk.

     "Wipe that smirk off your face or else-"

     "Or else what? Are you going to ruin my life too, much like how you did with his?" I challenged.

     "Don't go around accusing me of such horrible things," he replied with a pained expression.

     "Quit playing innocent," I warned him. "I really thought you were different."

     "I thought so too. But you ruined me."

     "You ruined yourself."

     He closed the gap between us and pulled me close to him, catching me off guard.

     This was not in the script!

     I played along with Sung Jae's ad-lib and stared back.

     A few seconds of stare-down later, Seo Ji Hoon appeared. "Get those filthy hands of yours off of her," he warned with a cold voice. L's ad-lib also sent chills down my spine.

     "Cut!" the director announced.

     Sung Jae released me from his grip with a grin on his face. "Nan meotchin nomiji?" (I was so cool, right?)

     "Tch. That was it? I think L oppa's ad-lib was better," I teased.

     He just rolled his eyes and then turned his back against me.

     Did I go too far there? "Ya! Nongdamiya!" (Hey! It was just a joke!) I called out as he walked away.

~~~~~

     We arrived at the restaurant after a short drive from the set. We were to celebrate the success of the public reveal of the project.

     As we entered the place, the hypnotizing sound of meat being grilled surrounded us. A waitress guided us to a reserved VIP area. Everyone was excited since the dinner was going to be free. I, on the other hand, sat quietly on the floor, squeezed between L and Sung Jae, contemplating whether or not I would eat galbi since it was only two nights ago when I ate fried chicken and drank beer. I worked so hard to achieve this body and I was already close to having toned abs. However, after the surgery, I was prohibited to workout so I had to watch what I ate. I already gained weight a little. I still can not workout until next week so I still have to be careful with what I eat.

     "On a diet?" asked L, snapping me back to my senses.

     I just nodded weakly and then gulped hard to resist the temptation.

     As soon as everyone was seated, he proceeded to grill some meat. "Ah. So delicious!" he teased.

     "Myungsoo oppa. Don't be so mean," Eun Ji eonnie told L as she came back to her seat, opposite Sung Jae, with a bowl of naengmyun (cold noodles).

     "One bite!" Sung Jae declared as he pressed a lettuce wrap to my lips.

     Automatically, I opened my mouth and devoured it without hesitation.

     "See? You wanted to eat it. More?" he asked jokingly.

     All of the three laughed while I sunk in my seat in embarrassment.

     I do want to stuff my face with galbi.

     Before I had the time to contemplate the pros and cons of letting loose of my inner pig tonight, fortunately, the director called for our attention.

     "As you already know, we're here to celebrate because the first teaser of our drama did well," he started and all of us cheered and made incomprehensible noise. "But what you don't know is that, our special guest that we'll be filming with tomorrow cancelled on us." Everyone expressed their disappointment. "However, it's not really a huge letdown because we found a replacement!" The room was filled with cheering voices once again. "Actually, we didn't find him. In a way, he volunteered. But I won't tell you who he is... because he will be joining us tonight!" The raucous crowd that was us went wild. "He will be here any minute from now." He piqued all of our interests and a satisfied look fell upon the director's face. "Ja. This is for every one of us who worked hard and will continue to do so until the end. Keombae!"

     "Keombae!" shouted everyone and then downed their drinks in hand.

     As soon as everyone was settled, Sung Jae turned to us. "Just who is this person?" he mused.

     "The character he'll play is an idol, right? Start guessing from there," L suggested.

     "Heol!" Sung Jae suddenly exclaimed.

     "Wae? Wae? Nuga saenggageun?" (Why? Why? Who do you think it is?) I asked out of curiosity because he retained his surprised look for a good three seconds. When it suddenly felt like a hoo-ha was going on in the VIP room, instinctively, I followed Sung Jae's line of sight. Standing by the door were two men, greeted by the PDs. One looked like an assistant and the other like an idol.

     "Daebak," L and Sung Jae breathed out in sync.

     I, on the other hand, was dumbfounded on my seat at the sight of a familiar face.

     He can't be the guest going to play an idol -- the idol I'll be having a heated argument in a scene with.

     He can't be.

     I couldn't turn my gaze away because he looked ravishing as always. But regret had to always come at the end. Our eyes met and I couldn't look away anymore. Why did it have to be you, GD?

-----

Oh. My. GD! 😱
Please don't get mad at me for taking GD away for so long. 😅 I'll make it up to you, guys. I swear. Lol.