Annyeong

Unexpectedly

     We were welcomed at the dormitory lobby by our two Korean roommates after checking in. They were shy at first but Emma was quick to break the ice. The only thing I could do was smile and nod while they greeted each other. I can speak basic Korean but I can't really hold a long conversation.

     "Annyeong haseyo. Makiyeyo," (Hello. I'm Maki,) I greeted as cheerfully as possible. I could only hope that I didn't look and sound like an idiot.

     The shorter girl helped me with my bags. I think her name was Ji Yeon, or it could be Ji Hyun. Not so sure. She had a long hair that was neatly tied into pigtails. She had tiny lips and nose. I think everything about her was tiny. She was even more petite than Emma and that's saying something. In fact, she looked like a grade schooler. I unconsciously gave my body a quick look and then made a face. I was almost twice her size.

     The other girl's name was Hye Jin. Or Ye Jin. Not sure either. We were almost of the same height but she was ier. Way ier to say the least. She had a perfect figure that curved in the right places. Her cheeks were covered with freckles that complemented her eyes and lashes beautifully, although I was not quite sure if those were real or just makeup.

     The size of the dormitory room was just enough for four people, though it would've been nice if it was a bit larger. It looked good and neat. Our dormitories back in our university were nothing compared to it.

     I looked around the room and saw not a single thing misplaced. Even the tiniest speck of dust could not be seen. Either our two roommates were neatpricks or they just cleaned thoroughly before we arrived. Either way, it was beyond satisfactory.

     There were two wooden bunkbeds placed opposite each other. I wasn't fat but I also wasn't skinny, so I hope the bunkbeds would not give up on me whenever I would twist and turn in the middle of the night. Our two roommates were kind enough, though, to offer us the lower beds but Emma refused kindly. She said that she preferred the upper bed.

     Speak for yourself, Emma. I prefer the lower one. So I did not have to worry about falling in the middle of my slumber. Yep, I do acrobats in my sleep.

     I thanked Ji Yeon, or Ji Hyun, for giving me the lower bed. This setting would be good, too. She's so tiny I would not have to worry about her breaking the bed on my face.

     Once we were already settled, the two girls asked us if we wanted a tour around the university. Emma happily agreed but I declined the offer. "I think I'm gonna have to pass."

     Yes, I was excited about getting here, but now I'd give anything for a power nap. It was my first time riding a plane and it wasn't really a pleasant experience. I would really love to travel to different countries but I don't know exactly how I'm going to do that if I'm afraid of taking planes and boats. Oh, what I'd give for Goku's ability to teleport..

     "Are you sure you don't wanna come?" Emma asked again as they reached the door. Her face looked like she was telling me I was crazy for missing this opportunity. Like, hello? I can do that later. I'm too jet lagged right now.

     "Yeah. I really need a nap," I replied with a small smile.

     "Okay then. We'll be back soon."

     And then I was left alone with my bags. I unpacked all of my stuff and stored them lazily in my designated drawer. The one next to mine was Hye Jin's, or Ye Jin's. There were printouts of pictures of several Korean boy groups taped on her cabinet door. I guess we would be getting along somehow. I used to be an updated K-Pop fan but when I entered college, I lost time for my only addiction. However, it is all worth it now because I am already here, closer to these beautiful guys.

     Sleepiness immediately visited me right after I finished unpacking. This is going to be my first sleep in Korea. I think I felt butterflies in my stomach at the thought of that. Damn, I'm so excited to wake up later!

-----