Confrontation

Connections

 

Daehyun made sure to be the first to see Haneul the next day. She was asleep, and she seemed so peaceful despite the bruises all over her arms that she used to protect her face. The latter part of her was not very badly harmed; there were several scratches very dangerously near her eyes but that was it. He traced a finger over her left cheek, wondering when she’d wake up. He wanted her to know that he had visited her, so that she’d trust him even more.

“What are you doing here?” From behind him he heard a deep voice. Turning around, he saw the Dongwoon guy from the previous day standing at the door.

“Visiting my friend. And you?”

“Visiting my sister,” he replied rather protectively, as if Daehyun was an outsider. “You’re Daehyun, right?”

Daehyun wondered how the elder boy knew his name, but he smiled and nodded. “Yes, sorry about the day before. I should have introduced myself properly, but Haneul and I were going to be late for classes. Park Daehyun,” he bowed, holding out a hand. Dongwoon stared at it like it was some sort of rat, but he shook it to be polite. “Son Dongwoon.” A long period of silence followed as Daehyun turned back to facing Haneul, and Dongwoon took the chair beside the bed.

“What’s your relationship with her?”

Daehyun was surprised by the question, but he answered calmly. “We’re friends.”

“If you’re friends, why weren’t you there when she was being beaten to a pulp?” Dongwoon’s voice got angrier.

“I’m a second year. We have different lunch periods,” Daehyun lied.

“…… Do you know why she was beaten up like this?”

Daehyun shrugged. “Jealousy? She’s living with celebrities, after all.” He made sure to emphasise on the word celebrities. He wanted Dongwoon to feel guilty.

***

Dongwoon’s patience snapped. Getting up in a flash, he grabbed Daehyun by the collar, forcing the boy to look at him. “Why you little-” he cut himself short before he could curse in front of Haneul. She was sleeping, he knew, but it wasn’t right. He lowered his voice. “I know you aren’t innocent, and I know you could have at least done something even if you weren’t involved.” He stared right into Daehyun’s eyes. “Stay away from her. You don’t deserve to be her friend.”

Daehyun smirked. “You wouldn’t believe me even if I told you my best lies. You’re a good person, Dongwoon-sshi,” he whispered, making sure no one else could hear. “Now I suggest you let go of me before someone finds out that you have been very rude to the only son of the chairman of PYJ Enterprises.” Dongwoon loosened his grip, and Daehyun made his way out of the room. “Nice meeting you, Dongwoon-sshi,” he called, a smug smile on his face. “I hope to see you again.”

Dongwoon growled angrily as he watched the boy leave. He knew this wouldn’t be the last time.