Oppa, rest well

Connections

 

Junhyung stretched and cracked his neck a few times. Today was the Music Bank recording, and their last performance for this round of promotions. He’d finally get the sleep he needed, maybe sleep in for a few days. Or laze around, watching TV the whole day.

“Junhyung, focus. This is our last practice,” Doojoon said with optimism, patting the rapper on the back.

Junhyung ran a sweaty hand through his hair, moving into position. He’d get what he wanted soon enough. Now he just had to look good, and give the fans a mind-blowing goodbye stage.

***

Haneul trudged home from school, only one backpack strap slung over her right shoulder as she rummaged through her stuff. “Wallet, wallet…” she mumbled, wondering why she never got around to rearranging her things. Finding it, she walked up the steps to the small stationery store near her home.

“Hello,” she greeted the shopkeeper timidly, who smiled at her in return. She usually visited this shop whenever she needed something, so he recognised her. She wouldn’t say he knew her, but he definitely knew Doojoon. Haneul suddenly shuddered involuntarily. Thinking of Doojoon made her remember the plans her parents had made for her. It was already Friday afternoon, and Saturday was just around the corner.

She explored the keychain section quietly, her eyes darting over the shelves for something her father might like. She had done his card on plain paper in school, during lunch. She just decorated the front with the words “Happy Birthday” and wrote wishes for her father inside, with doodles to fill up the empty spaces. She couldn’t be bothered to put too much effort into it. She saw no point in giving a card in the first place. To her, presents made more sense.

A keychain caught her eye. Hardworking Dad, it said. There was a comical picture of a man next to it, flexing his muscles. Perfect.

She purchased the keychain without a word, tearing off the price tag as she briskly made her way home. MuBank was going to be on TV, and she couldn’t afford to miss it.

***

At home, Haneul began on her usual Friday routine: leave her backpack in her room, switch on the TV in the living room, grab a snack and plop down onto the sofa to watch MuBank, occasionally leaving her seat when it was a commercial or a performance she didn’t really like. She prepared her father’s present, dropping the keychain into a small gift bag and leaving it with the card on the desk in his room. Beast’s performance was one of the last ones, and Haneul watched with her eyes never leaving the screen. She studied every member’s face and actions carefully, especially Doojoon and Junhyung. She could tell that they were tired. Doojoon had told her how their managers were harder on them recently, and their practices were more intense than ever.

Oppa, rest well, I wish I could have been there to meet you backstage. And sorry for lying to you last night.

As the programme ended, Haneul switched off the TV and went into her room, closing the door behind her. She grabbed her backpack and began on her homework. If she finished it, she wouldn’t have to worry about it while moving in with Beast.

-----

I'm sorry chapter 10 and 11 are so short and boring T___T

Saturday is coming! What will Beast's managers say to Haneul? Stay tuned~