A New Friend

Connections

Guysssss sorry for the 3 month long hiatus or however long it was ;_____; School is crazy. There's no time to breathe! Thank you all for waiting ;____; I've managed to write 2 chapters, so I'll upload them both, but I cannot guarantee that the subsequent chapters will be regular at all. I might take another 2 months to find free time ;___; I'm on a one-week holiday right now, so I found the time to write.

Enjoy!

-------------

Daehyun took Haneul down a long corridor – or rather, a tunnel – that was barely lit. Subtly, she held his hand tighter and kept closer to him. Daehyun laughed; not mockingly, but more like a comforting laugh. “Scared of the dark?” He asked softly, scratching his head. “Sorry, I forgot to switch the light on.”

They soon reached a door, and Daehyun held onto the knob. “Be careful, it’s bright outside,” he warned, cautiously swinging the door open. Sunlight flooded the tunnel, and Haneul immediately covered her eyes with her free hand. As her eyes adjusted, she put down her hand. Letting out a silent gasp of amazement she let her hand slip from Daehyun’s and walked down the several steps to the garden below. Daehyun gave a small chuckle and swept his reddish brown hair from his eyes.

He had brought her to his own garden. Not that he ever did any gardening, of course, but he made sure it looked exactly the way he wanted. “Like it?” He asked with a smile as he leisurely strolled over to Haneul. She didn’t reply, but the gleam in her eyes told him enough.

Haneul looked ahead of her in wonder. The garden was huge - more like a park. Pink cherry trees lined a path towards a great white brick mansion, while the area was surrounded by tall hedges to ensure privacy. All around there were different kinds of plants. It was like a painting, so picture perfect that she couldn’t believe her eyes. She turned sharply to look around her but ended up crashing straight into Daehyun instead. With a small squeak, she backed up, accidentally treading on a plant that was just starting to grow.

Daehyun looked quite saddened. “Ahhh, that was the one my little cousin planted. He’d be so upset.” Taking Haneul’s hand once more, he spoke calmly, “But never mind, let’s find somewhere to sit.”

They sat down on a swing closer to the mansion towering over them. It was a two-seater garden swing, the kind that rocked slowly. Haneul sat down beside Daehyun, and they began to talk. The more they talked, the more Haneul found that Daehyun was actually a nice person. He was kind to her, patient with her, and didn’t mind that she was uncomfortable with speaking up. “You’ll get better,” he kept saying with a grin, looking her in the eyes each time. They talked about their interests, their family, and their school. The time flew, and soon Haneul realised that the sun was beginning to set. Hurriedly, with the help of Daehyun, she gathered her things. He had offered to send her back, but she refused. It would be bad if someone saw. Mum and dad wouldn’t be pleased. Waving a quick goodbye, she ran back home as fast as her legs could carry her.