Doojoon's thoughts

Connections

 

The boys spent the rest of the remaining daylight entertaining Haneul with silly jokes and funny skits. Yoseob even sang for her. They were having fun, but too soon the nurse came in and shooed them out, saying that visiting hours were over. As they filed out of the room disappointedly, Haneul managed to grab Hyunseung’s hand.

“Oppa…”

“Hmm?” He hummed, turning around to face her.

“Who saved me?”

Hyunseung smiled warmly. “Junhyung.”

With that, he took her hand off his, gave her a gentle pat on the head, and left the room.

***

Haneul had very quickly fallen asleep after the boys left. Doojoon, as her brother, was allowed to watch over her that night, but the rest of the boys told him to go home with them. Kikwang placed a friendly hand on his shoulder. “She’s tired out from today, just let her rest. She’ll be fine,” he said with a smile that wasn’t as bright as usual. Doojoon could tell that he was worried too. Nodding submissively, he followed with his head down, deep in thought as they walked in the quiet night to have dinner somewhere nearby. This is really serious. I have to keep Haneul safe from getting hurt like this again. He was sure it was because she was staying with Beast. He had learnt from Kikwang that on the way to school, everyone they passed seemed jealous of her. He sighed. For once, he regretted ever going the path of a singer.

Junhyung noticed how miserable Doojoon was. He sulked throughout dinner, eating very little and not speaking at all, only emitting low grunts in response to their questions. Eventually he left the table and walked out of the restaurant into the night. “Woonie, finish his food. He’s not gonna come back,” Junhyung told the maknae as he spooned the last of his kimchi into his mouth. “I’ll go to make sure he’s okay. You guys go home after you’re done.” With a nod from Yoseob, he left and ran after their leader.

“Yoon Doojoon!”

Doojoon didn’t turn around. Perhaps it was because Junhyung was shouting against the cold wind. Wrapping his jacket closer around him, he ran up to the gloomy figure.

“Go away,” was all Doojoon said.

Junhyung quietly placed an arm around the man’s shoulder. “It’s not your fault, you know,” he said softly.

Doojoon didn’t reply, but instead tried to shrug Junhyung’s arm off his shoulders while he continued to stare at the ground. The rapper’s arm, however, didn’t budge, but he didn’t complain.

Junhyung gave Doojoon a slight hug to comfort him. “Let’s go home.”

“No, let’s walk around first.”

***

Meanwhile, the rest of Beast were still in the restaurant, and Dongwoon wolfed down Doojoon’s food in a matter of seconds.

Hyunseung chuckled lightly. “Stop eating so much, you’re already past the age of growing. Junhyung shouldn’t have asked you to eat that.”

“Well, he did,” said Dongwoon between spoonfuls. “And I’m not complaining.”

They all laughed; though it was just like the laugh when they were in the waiting room. Quiet, uneasy, and just plain awkward.

Once Dongwoon was done eating, Yoseob paid for all of them. Keeping his wallet in his back pocket, he jerked his head towards the door. “We should go home.”