Arrival

Connections

 

Saturday came all too quickly. Cameras filmed Haneul waving a last goodbye to her parents as she eagerly walked out the gate to Jiyeong’s car. She didn’t have to try hard to look excited. Greeting Jiyeong cheerfully, she took one last glance at her house as they drove off, the car with the cameramen not far behind.

Haneul’s heart was beating wildly as the car began to drive out of the area. The usual shops she knew, the children she usually met, the dogs who would bark at her when she walked past… she was leaving it all behind. She knew it was only for two months, but for a fleeting moment she felt her heart drop to see her hometown whizz by. Things weren’t going to be the same.

Suddenly, Jiyeong spoke. “Haneul, how do you feel? Are you excited?” She asked. Her voice was cheery, adding to the atmosphere. Haneul nodded eagerly, and hesitated a moment before saying, “I can’t wait.” She made a mental note to speak up a little more. There was a script that she had to follow for the show, and she couldn’t let everyone down.

***

Meanwhile, Beast was bored in their dorm, already dressed to go out. “Where’s Jiyeong noona??” Dongwoon whined, laying on the floor with an exasperated sigh. Jiyeong had told them that they had somewhere to go, and to wait till she returned. The six of them had been waiting for ten minutes, and were getting impatient.

Doojoon chuckled at the maknae as he calmly switched the channel on the television. Junhyung, on the other hand, sat next to him, furiously pressing buttons on his phone. “Seriously, she shouldn’t have told us to hurry! Now she’s not even picking up her phone.”

They had been informed that they were doing a show, but they had no idea what show it was. Hyunseung eyed the cameras silently, trying to distinguish the show from the looks of the cameramen, but to no avail.

***

As they arrived at the dorms in the heart of Seoul, Haneul earnestly looked out the window at all the different sights. She’d never been here before, and this would be her first time visiting Doojoon at his dormitory. It was new, it was different. Jiyeong quickly parked the car and as they got Haneul’s things out of the back, Jiyeong got a call. Haneul quietly struggled by herself to get out her heavy luggage as Jiyeong discussed what seemed to be a serious matter over the phone.

“Change of plan,” she whispered into Haneul ear as they walked towards the lift. “The media knows we’re filming, it can’t be a secret anymore.”

Haneul tried her best to keep a straight face. Inside, her mind was racing with thoughts. Who could have leaked the information? Life was going to be hard for her, though at that moment it didn’t matter while her heart was pounding in her ears. She and Jiyeong entered the lift, the cameras following. It wasn’t long till Beast’s surprise was revealed.