Rumours

Connections

 

“You’ll move in next Saturday, when the boys have rested enough. We’re going to film you coming in and surprising them, so I’ll come and fetch you. Remember that there will be cameras in the car.”

Haneul could hardly focus on anything else all week. She tried to hide her excitement while in school, but once in a while her teachers would catch a glimpse of her smiling to herself.

“Haneul, is there something so funny that you’d like to share with the class?”

Each time, Haneul would quickly cover and look down, shaking her head. Her classmates, who usually never took notice of her, began whispering amongst themselves and rumours were spreading like wildfire.

“Yoon Haneul is making an expression other than a poker face.”

“I think she’s got a boyfriend.”

“She stares out of the window all the time. I overheard Mrs Shin saying that her work has gotten worse.”

“Has Yoon Haneul finally gotten a life?”

By the end of school on Wednesday, Haneul was able to tone down her excitement, but as she walked down the hallway, more and more people began to look at her and fervent whispers would fill the area. Haneul sighed. They hadn’t even started filming and she was already getting so much attention. She hugged her books closer to her chest, as if they could defend her from all the piercing eyes that penetrated rather than see through her.

“Hey Haneul!”

Haneul heard a voice call, but she didn’t turn around. She didn’t even slow down. She continued walking. Who would call her anyway? She didn’t have any friends. It had to be another Haneul the voice was calling.

“Hey, you!”

There was the voice again. Haneul resisted the urge to turn around. It had to be a different Haneul. She didn’t want to look like an idiot if she turned around and it wasn’t her, especially with so many eyes watching her.

“YAH! Yoon Haneul!”

This time, Haneul slowed down and slowly turned around.

“That’s right.”

Standing before her, with a smirk on his face and his arms folded proudly, was Park Daehyun, one of the school’s elite. Rumours said that his parents co-owned the school, but this guy had so many rumours about him that no one knew what to believe. He definitely lived up to his name, which meant ‘great and honour’. His tagline was-

“… Freaks' just jealous.”

“S-sorry?” Haneul asked, confused. Was he talking about her? Just let me go home.

Daehyun looked around him and literally snarled. “What y’all looking at? Bug off! Go Home!”

The hallway suddenly started to clear much faster than it usually would. Haneul tried to steal away with the crowd, but Daehyun spotted her.

“Hey Haneul! Don’t go! Can we talk?” He ran up to her, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. His voice was calm, and when Haneul looked at him he gave her a warm smile. “H-hey, don’t be scared of me,” he said with a shy smile. “I’m not all that I seem to be.”

Daehyun was tall, perhaps even taller than Doojoon. He was seventeen, a year older than Haneul, and his eyes were a deep brown that didn’t seem natural. Or perhaps, what wasn’t natural was that Daehyun wasn’t acting big and fierce for once.

He had a great reputation for being vicious with everyone he met. There were stories that when he first came to the school, he even argued with the school’s kingka. Wolf King Daehyun, he was called at times, for his ferocity was the only thing about him that wasn’t a story.

“Would you come with me?”

Haneul hesitated for a moment, worrying about what might happen.

Daehyun laughed. “No need to worry, I’m not gonna hurt you.”

He smiled when Haneul timidly followed him towards the students’ lounge.

------

//shot