Saved

Connections

 

Junhyung ran as fast as he could. He wasn’t the kind who ran well, but he still got to his destination anyway. Checking his watch, he realised that lunch period was nearly halfway through. Poor girl must be hungry; I don’t think she could borrow a friend’s chopsticks before the end of the period. He tried to run faster, slowly getting out of breath. He should have just taken a cab. Or even the train. He nearly smacked himself for not thinking of it as he approached Haneul’s school, panting heavily. I need to work out more.

The main gates were open. Junhyung ran through several lines in his head, thinking of what to say to the office. “Hi, I’m Yoon Haneul’s guardian, do you know where I could find her?” “Good afternoon ma’am, where is the canteen?” They sounded weird. This was going to be harder than he thought it would be.

The moment he walked in through the gates, Junhyung heard a girl crying, and the odd sound of metal on bone. With a shudder, Junhyung turned to where the sounds were coming from. To his right, in fact not far from him, was a gangster girl holding a baseball bat, beating up a crumpled mess on the floor. Three girls watched with smirks on their faces.

“What the- Hey… Hey!!” He yelled, running over to the girls. The four bullies saw him coming and bolted off, ditching the bat and leaving the badly bruised girl crying silently in pain. For a moment he watched them run away, but he quickly turned his attention to the girl. “Hey… it’s okay, they can’t hurt you now…” Junhyung swept the hair away from her face. He couldn’t believe Haneul attended a school like this…

“HANEUL?!?!??!?!?!” Junhyung nearly screamed in shock. Picking her up bridal style, he her head gently as she slowly lost consciousness. “Come on, stay with me, let’s get you to a hospital.”

***

Haneul woke up, not knowing where she was. She opened her eyes and blinked several times to see clearer. The ceiling was white. Looking down at the bed she was laying on, it suddenly struck her. Was she at a hospital? Then, memories the day’s events suddenly came flooding back. From Daehyun holding her hand, to lunch without chopsticks, to Jiae apologising before she beat her up, right up to when she felt someone pick her up and told her she was safe. She heard movement from her left, amongst the bleeping of the machines and she turned her head to look. Junhyung was seated in a rather uncomfortable-looking chair, fast asleep. What time is it? She looked past the empty hospital beds on her right, out the window at the other end of the room. The sky was orange. He must have been waiting for a long time.

“Oppa…” she croaked. was dry. “Junhyung oppa…”

Junhyung’s eyes opened sleepily as he stretched. She watched him flinch when his back cracked. All of a sudden, he seemed to realise where he was and looked worriedly at Haneul.

“Oh Haneul, you’re awake,” he said with a smile.

She smiled back. “Yeah, I am.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Bette-“

“-HANEUL!” Doojoon came running into the ward, and Junhyung chuckled slightly as he watched the nurse sigh in exasperation. He ran up to his sister, hugging her tightly. She winced when he touched her bruises, but said nothing. Junhyung smacked him. “Yah, behave yourself. And you’re hurting her.”

To Haneul’s relief, Doojoon let go, slowly calming down. “I rushed here as soon as Hyunseung called. Who did this to you?” He was on the verge of tears. Haneul smiled. Her brother was such a worrywart, but she loved him so much.

“It doesn’t matter… the whole school is willing to testify against Junhyung oppa that it ever happened.”

Doojoon sighed. He knew better than to ask. He had attended that high school too. They were monsters there. I guess they still are. Some traditions don’t change.

Haneul turned to Junhyung. “Oppa… can we go home yet?”

“Well, the doctor says there’s nothing wrong internally, you just have a lot of bruises… who knows what that girl would have done to you if I wasn’t there.”

Haneul smiled sadly. She knew. Like every other victim of Jiae’s, she would have ended up broken, paralysed, or dead – most likely dead. Haneul would never forget what Jiae said.
“Sorry, Haneul, but even if you die, it cannot match up to the price I was paid for this. You already know how this will end.”

“So I guess, you can go home tomorrow,” Junhyung continued.

Haneul nodded with a sigh.

***

“You think Doojoon will be mad when he finds out that we didn’t call him until after his schedule?” Hyunseung asked, as the boys sat calmly in the waiting room after pointing a flying Doojoon towards Haneul’s ward.

“Yeah, but who says he’ll find out?” Dongwoon said with a grin.

They laughed, though it wasn’t very cheerful. When Junhyung called them and told them what had happened to Haneul, they rushed to the hospital, worried sick. Since they couldn’t all stay in the ward, Junhyung offered to wait for her to wake up.

“Guys,” Junhyung called, entering the waiting room. “She’s awake.”

As the boys rushed to the ward, Junhyung walked back slowly. Thank goodness the cameras didn’t follow me to the school, he thought, thinking back to that afternoon. His mind slowly returned to manager Joonkun’s words. “We’ll have to postpone filming now. Or even cancel the show.”

----

How do you guys like this chapter? :D I had fun writing it~

I'm sorry if Hyunseung is not getting much 'scenes' in my story~ I really don't know how to portray his personality! Guess I'm not 4D~ xD 

TELL ME, should Daehyun and Dongwoon have a confrontation next? Or should Junhyung and Haneul bond more first? Tell me what you think~ I might write it in the next few chapters!! :)

Loves!~