CH40

Our Hearts Confusion
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
40 CHAPTER FORTY  

The person was too concentrated on her work that she did not even realize someone was walking inside the area, slowly approaching closer towards where she is; sitting behind the desk with her head bowing down, focusing on whatever she was doing at that moment.

 

A soft smile pasted on the golden hair woman as she took some time to observe the person in front of her before seconds later, opened to speak. “Excuse me, but, am I interrupting?” the person who sat behind the desk looked up from her work almost immediately, her pair of eyes grew wider slowly as time went by.

“Oh my god, ma’am! What – I seriously don’t expect it will be you!” Elaine surprisingly exclaimed, could not believe her eyes to see Irene standing right in front of her after being away for a period of time. Irene’s lip curved into a grin as she shook her head then, looking at Elaine, the best and hardworking secretary ever that she has since the moment she took that woman to work with her at the firm.

“I’m sorry if I startle you, Elaine. It just that, I thought I should come here. It’s been a while since the last time I stepped into this firm especially after what I’ve been through before. I miss everything here. All of this is a part of my life, something that I always being passion about. Plus, I can’t help but to feel sympathy for leaving you too long alone to deal with my own problems.” Irene said in apologetic way, half-smiling at the woman that still looked the same from the last time she saw her. If Irene not mistaken, the only thing changed about her secretary probably her hair which now turned into bob hairstyles with highlights on few strands of her dark brown hair.

Elaine’s smile grew wider as she nodded her head. To be honest, she also missed Irene’s presence in the firm. Although, she knew completely the reason why Irene went away for like a period of time, she could not help but to wish Irene the best after what Mino and her been through before. She did not know really well what actually happened but, based on what she had read before from the newspaper, Elaine felt as if the golden hair woman really did through a very hard time before.

Maybe that’s the reason why Irene took the sudden leave and been missing for two months and few weeks later on. Seriously, if Elaine been in her place, she might be doing the same thing just like what Irene did before. It was sad also that few of Irene’s clients decided to stop from using Irene’s lawyer service – mostly, because they could not put the faith towards Irene to handle their cases since what had happened towards Irene. It looked like as if the incident that Irene had been through before really did put a lot of impact and pressure not to just herself but also her career profession.

She also knew the fact that Irene had miscarriage because of the incident that she went through. Elaine could not help but to feel sad and at the same time, sympathy washed over her when she acknowledged about the miscarriage news. Irene seemed could not take the bad news pretty well when she learnt the truth for the first time. Looking at how Irene had been through everything with her husband by her side, Elaine put such a high praise towards Irene for being able to take well of what had happened towards her.

Perhaps, if Elaine is the one in her shoes, the dark brown hair woman could not be certain whether she would handle everything just the way like Irene did.

“Elaine, are you daydreaming? Hello?” Irene creased her forehead when she seeing her secretary looked as if she was lost in her own world, waving her small hand right in front of Elaine’s face.

The dark brown hair snapped herself out, smiling in such embarrassed way for her sudden dozed time. “I’m sorry, ma’am. My bad.” she quickly apologized. “Are you busy? I need you to come to my room, there’s a lot of things that I want to discuss with you especially the one related to the firm.” Irene now serious voice murmured, the soft smile still plastered on her goddess face though.

Elaine nodded her head slowly. “Sure, ma’am. I’ll be right there in few minutes.” Irene nodded her head a little before then excused herself to walk passed by Elaine’s desk before eventually went towards her office and lost herself behind the door of her room later on. Grabbing the things that she always bring whenever Irene calls for her into her office room, Elaine did not waste any time more before making her way towards the golden hair woman’s room, knocking on the door first and walked inside when she heard Irene’s voice.

Irene’s room still in the same condition just like the one before she took the leave from the firm. Looking at her own office room, Irene could not help but to smile as many memories floated in her mind – the good and bad ones, everything is mixed as she could not help but to take some time reminisce all of it. From the first day she successfully opened her own firm company, making one of her dreams to be real till the moment, she had to face so many hard times here; Irene felt like there’s a lot that she had learnt from the experience she got before.

Whether good or bad, everything is a lesson for her to take. From being the selfish, y person she is turned into someone that she also could never expect she would become to be. It did take a long of time for things slowly to change but, it did happen and she never regret at all for the changes to happen in her life. If it wasn’t because of the changes that took place in her life, maybe she won’t be what she is at this moment.

A person who she can be almost herself now without worrying to pretend anymore. She is herself, Bae Joohyun. That’s what all matter now.

“So, tell me, Elaine. What happen when I’m gone? Is this firm still going to operate or should I worry and find something new for me to keep living?” Irene muttered, smiling in such a joking way towards her secretary. She’s not really joking though because she just stating the right fact. Why would she run away from the reality after what she had been through before?

Elaine kept pressing her lip together before taking a deep breath and started to talk then. “Well, actually, it’s not that really bad, ma’am. I’m sorry that you need to hear this on your first day arrival after coming back from two months leave. There’s few of our clients decide to cancel from using your service, ma’am. And the worst is, most of them are the one with big cases and the fact that they already signed the contract make it even harder for me to deal with. But apart from that, everything still run smoothly. I’m very glad that you’re here now, ma’am. I’ve been missing to work with you again.”

Irene could not help but to smile as she heard her secretary’s words. Despite that Elaine is her secretary, Irene sometimes felt that the person sitting in front of her now is probably more than just her secretary. She’s also someone that Irene can depend onto whenever she needs especially when it comes to work related. Nowadays, it’s hard to find someone like Elaine who not just being mainly a secretary for her.

“Thank you, Elaine. I really appreciate that. And I also want to thank you for being such a great and loyal and the best secretary that I could ever ask in my life. You really are a wonderful person and I’m grateful to have you working with me.” Elaine flashed a bright smile, feeling please to hear the compliments coming from Irene.

“Anyway, regarding about the clients, I will handle that by myself. I will tell you the details soon. Right now, I just want to discuss few things regarding this firm.”

A confusion displayed on Elaine’s face then. “What do you mean, ma’am?”

“There’s few changes that I would like to make in this firm. Starting from the way I will accept any client request in order to use my lawyer service for their cases. If it’s not troubling you, I want you to confront with me first before making a reservation date for an appointment with the client. I think that I don’t want to take too much cases at one time. I need to think of myself too, my husband and also my life. After what had happened, I took some time to think about this thoughtfully.”

Elaine slowly nodded her head, an ‘O’ formed on her full lip as she jotted down the matter that Irene brought up earlier on her notepad. “Also, starting from next week, our firm will be closed at four in the evening. And during weekends, there will no work related because I want to free myself from overthinking work so much. If there’s anything emergency only, you can directly call me or just email me as usual. In case, if there’s something about work that happen during your weekend, you can push it back until the day where our firm will operate again on weekdays. It’s depend on you and the situation given.” Irene stated, resting her arms on the table in front of her.

“I think that’s all for now. If there’s more, I will tell you soon. And thank you once again, Elaine.”

 

 

“Mino, my man!”

Almost everyone in his ice hockey team rushed to his side, stopped playing on the ice rink as soon as one of them called out from him, spotting his figure that walking inside the ice rink arena. Before he could put his sport bag on the bench, one of his playmates gave a small hug at the side of his body.

Mino knew too well who that person is because who else would hug him if it wasn’t him, right?”

“Hyung! You’re back! Finally!” Kai’s loud voice broke the temporary silence among the group of playmates before few of them burst into a hard laugh, shaking their head looking at Kai’s behavior.

Most of them know already how close Kai and Mino are in their team. Perhaps, it probably because of the small between them which only a year apart that made the two people easily grew closer compared to their link towards other players in the team also.

“Where’s coach?” that was the first thing Mino asked when he realized the coach of their team wasn’t here at the moment. Alex who was standing not too far, shoved his shoulders upward. “He told us yesterday that he might be late tonight and ask us to start the practice without him first.” Mino slowly nodded his head, forming an ‘O’ shape on his lip then.

“Anyway, I’m glad you finally come back, Mino. All of us are. We are waiting for you to show up again especially Kai here.” the young man rolled his eyes listening to their leader of the team said in such a playful tone; making not just Mino who let out a small laugh but, so do others.

Few minutes of talking then, the leaders and so do other players continued to practice again, leaving Mino to get prepare himself before joining them soon. Later on, the beastly figure man also joined his team practicing after been a while since the last time he’s playing. Mino did not forget to warm up himself first, an important routine that his team and also himself do whenever they have practices or training since warming up is one of the essential things in playing whatever sport you are.

Despite that Mino had not been playing ice hockey for like few months, his skill on the ice rink never seem to be decreased at all as if he did not even take a three months leave before. His other teammates were quite surprise with his unbeatable spirit and also how hardworking he is; looking at how well he’s playing at that moment. Maybe there is the reason why the beastly figure man known as one of the most top ice hockey players not just in their country but also, throughout the Asia.

How lucky their team is to have someone like Mino to be playing in their team.

All of them were busying themselves with the practices that most of them did not take notice that their coach was eyeing them from far at a corner inside the ice rink, looking at each one of them through fully especially Mino who had been leaving for three months already from their team after the awful incident that occurred to him and also Irene.

It was a pretty hard time for the team based on the coach’s opinion throughout Mino absent for three months though. Since he is one of the skillful players in their team and also among the three forward players in their team, it was like a missing of beat in the game that they were playing before. Although other players were also great and did everything with their best but, not having everyone playing in a complete game was like a big lost not just for the team but also, in the point view of the coach.

The coach indeed still could not accept what had happened towards Mino and Irene though. Most of all, he could not believe that his niece also the one that involved in the incident that occurred towards the married couple. Only God knows how shameful he felt when he found out about the truth, feeling so humiliated with what Jennie had done towards the two people. Not only he felt ashamed with Mino but also, the team that he’s been coaching for few years already.

He was in a complete shock when he found out the news about what happened towards Mino and Irene – how Irene bravely sacrificed herself in order not letting Mino to get shoot by the main culprit of the crime, Kang Seulgi. How hard the two people had been through in such a cruel, painful time. And most of all, how his niece that he could never think of being the partner for the crime that they had done before. All of that felt like a big blow towards him and for the first time, he felt regret to have someone like Jennie as his niece who not just humiliated him but also, making his life so miserable with guilt and shameful feelings.

When their training for that night almost over, the coach like always would gather his team to talk about tomorrow practices and also thanking them for giving such a great cooperation with their other teammates. Even though he’s the one that responsible to coach the team, still, he already think all of the players as a family in his life since it’s been a few years long that he had spent his time with all of them before this.

“Hyung, do you want to go out after this?” Kai asked, once the two of them were in the locker room. Mino just finished showering and was wiping his black hair when he heard Kai’s offer.

He did not look at the young man but still, kind enough to respond to him though. “Where are you going?” he returned Kai’s question with a question also. The younger man thought for a moment before shrugging then, not have any idea. Actually, Kai did not expect that Mino would ask him that question because in his mind, he was thinking that maybe the man won’t agree to go out with him because he might want to return home right after their practice.

“You’re asking me to go out with you but you also don’t know where we’re going? Nice, Kai.” Mino replied back in sarcastic voice, throwing a look at the younger man which made him laughed then. “Well, I didn’t expect you might want to go out with me, hyung. Plus, who knows that you want to go home immediately after this. You know – perhaps, maybe Irene noona was waiting for you by the front door by now.”

Mino shot a glare towards Kai then, closing his locker door. “Not funny, Kai.” he said in a firm, warning tone. Kai then put up both his hands in the air, acting as if he surrendered earlier before getting scold by the beastly man standing across him. “God, hyung! You’re so changing now. I can’t believe you still the same Mino hyung that I’ve known few years back then. It just so completely different.” Kai stated then as a matter of fact.

“Do you want to go out or not? I can go home now if I want to.” Mino told him then, already finished with himself and ready to leave the room. Kai quickly put a grin on his face, feeling relief and thankful towards Mino who seem to be joining him tonight. Seriously, there’s a lot of thing that he needs the man’s advice. “Sure, hyung. Let’s go now.” Kai mumbled later on.

The two of them were ready to leave the locker room while they were having a small chat when suddenly, their coach which neither Mino nor Kai would expect to see especially at this time. Both of them thought that their coach already long gone since their practice had finished half an hour ago.

“Sorry for interrupting you both. Mino, can I see you for a moment? There’s something that I need to talk about with you.” their coach murmured in low voice, looking at Mino and Kai back and forth. Mino and Kai exchanged glances before Kai the one who broke the sudden silence. “Sure, coach. I’ll wait you at the front, hyung. See you tomorrow, coach.” Kai said in polite way, bowing his head a little before making his way to the front area, heading to outside as he left the two people behind him.

Mino then flickered his pair of eyes towards the person standing in front of him. “Walk with me, Mino.” said his coach before he could open his mouth, following his coach’s words then, walking by his side as the two of them walked together. “First of all, I’m glad and feel very thankful to have you back again in our team. It’s been a while since you’ve been away and I really appreciate that you take some effort to come back here again despite what had happened to you and your wife.”

A small smile pasted on Mino’s lip as he listened carefully to his coach’s words. “You’re welcome, coach. I’m also happy to be back again. And thank you also for giving me some time to be away. It really mean so much to me and my wife. I’m also thankful for you to believe in me and welcome me back into the team. It’s an honor for me, coach.” Mino said in quiet voice.

His coach nodded his head slowly before then a small sigh escaped from his mouth. “Mino, I’m really sorry for what Jennie had done to you and your wife. Until now, I still couldn’t believe that she had the guts to involve in that crime and even had intention to kill your wife. I’m deeply sorry on her behalf, Mino. I know that I shouldn’t bring up this thing again but I couldn’t bear to carry this guilt feeling that I have towards you and your wife. Because of my niece’s act, both of you suffered hard. Although you two did survive but still, with what happened – your dream to have your own family destroyed just like that.”

“If I’ve known all of this going to happen, maybe I could prevent it from getting worst. Till the extent that you lost the chance to have your own child and your wife was almost kill in the incident. I never think that Jennie was so determined to do that. I thought she just a young girl who fall for a wrong person and perhaps, she could move on later in her future, finding someone who can love her back. But, I guess, I’m not that smart enough to read her real intention.”

The coach took a deep breath then before turning his head to look at Mino. “I went to visit her once. She looked so different from what I used to know her. I know that this is hard and impossible for you but, I really do hope that you could forgive her, Mino. Regardless of what had she done and happened, she still my niece. A part of my family. I understand if you need some time but, I just hope that you will forgive her someday. She’s still young and has long way to go in the future. I think the best for her to start a new life by simply asking forgiveness for those that she hurt. I’m not going to force you to do that. And also, I’m not asking this as a coach from you. I’m asking it as a person, an uncle for my niece in this world.”

Mino’s mind was trying to absorb every single word that came out from his coach’s mouth as he listened well, not even disturbing him at all. “I apologize if I’m saying and asking too much from you, Mino. But, I think it would be the best if I let out what I’ve been waiting to tell you since the day it happened. And again, I’m sorry for my behalf and also Jennie.”

Again, another quick smile displayed on Mino’s face as he did not say anything, only to listen to the words that his coach been saying just now. “I’ll excuse myself first. Send my regards to your wife. I’ll see you tomorrow during practice. Have a good night, Mino.” Mino nodded his head a bit. “You too, coach.” he murmured as he watched his coach walking away from him before disappeared from his sight seconds later.

Kai who was browsing through his phone, checking few Instagram posts while waiting for Mino looked up then when he heard Mino’s footsteps approaching closer towards the spot where both of them usually park their own vehicles. He was leaning against his car at that time when Mino went directly towards where his motorbike once he reached at the spot then.

The younger man was curious to ask Mino about what happened between him and coach but thinking that it might be a personel reason, he shrugged off the intention that he had in mind. “While I’m here waiting for you, hyung, I already have a place where we’re going for tonight. I’m sure you will like this new place.”

Mino raised an eyebrows towards the young man. “Really? I hope you will mark your words and not lying about it just because that new place that you’re talking about is not a place where you can pull off your bait there. If you know what I mean, right?” he added more at the end, smiling in such mocking way towards Kai.

Kai let out a snort then, shaking his head. “Of course not, hyung. I’m not like what I used to be. I’m a different person now and you should be proud of me. At least, I’m changing already.” Mino did not say anything though but giving this ‘yeah, right’ look towards Kai before putting on his helmet, ready to ride his bike then. Both of them then rode each other vehicle into the late night, heading to the new place that Kai had been talking just now – spending some time together since it’s been a long from the last time the two men went out together.

 

 

From the front area to the backyard, his pair of eyes were searching for a particular person as he passed by few people already whom most of them are the workers from the catering that he had book for today’s event – a small gathering for his close friends including his family.

Once his eyes laid on the person that he’s been looking for, his lip curved into a smile before he strode his way closer towards her, being careful with his own steps. The fact that she’s been standing against him making his work much easier since that person did not even notice his appearance towards her.

“Oh God!” Irene yelped a small scream when out of sudden, a pair of arms lifted her small figure from the ground before spinning her body around then making her closing her eyes in surprise.

“Mino!” she exclaimed when Mino placed her back on the ground with her own feet, turning her so that she’s facing towards him then. “I’ve been looking for you. What are you doing back here? You should be at the front by now – welcoming our guest for today gathering event.”

Irene took a small breath, chewing on her lip as she gazed towards Mino then. “I know. I just want to check everything, make sure to have all of it under control. You know that this is my first time holding an event even though it just a small one. I want everything to run smoothly. Plus, I-”

Mino then shut his wife with a quick kiss on her rosy red lip which really did make Irene fall in silence afterwards. “Joohyun, everything going to be okay. Trust me, baby. Don’t worry too much, will you? It’s not like we’re having a grand event here at our house. Besides, our family and also our closest friend the one who coming. Relax, okay?” Mino softly assured his wife, smiling at Irene a gentle and warm smile.

The golden hair woman did not say anything though only to blow a breath out from then. “Come on, let’s go to the front. Let the workers do their job. I also need you to help me working this event properly. It’s not like this is your first time only, baby.” Mino reminded his wife, wrapping his arm around Irene’s petite waist as both of th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter