CHAPTER 8

Lord of Darkness Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After breakfast, Jaejoong ordered everyone to start packing. Donghae had already set up a meeting between him and Cha Seung-won, the former Regent of Mussur. Everyone thought the old regent would continue being regent until his last breath. But his resignation one year ago surprised everyone.

 

Twenty years ago, the Oracle was the one who chose who would become regent. These days, that task had been relegated to the Council of Haldor composed of the five regents and the king. Soon to be ex-regents like Seung-won usually had two votes in respect to his position in the council. If people were surprised by his resignation, they were shocked when Seung-won gave his vote to Ahn Jaehyun, who was not a mage but a man of science. King Donghae, Lord Seung-hun of Gorge, and Lady Ye-jin of Risine had also given their vote to Ahn Jaehyun after talking with Seung-won. Only Lord In-sung of Ferrest and Lady Hye-Kyo voted other names. Ahn Jaehyun ended up becoming the first regent in Haldor who did not posses magic. But in the world of science, Ahn Jaehyun was respected and admired not only for his sharp mind but also for his capacity to remain calm and in control in the middle of any turmoil. Seung-won had insisted that persons of science had as much right to become regents as persons of magic. And a regent who hailed from the world of science could help usher Haldor into the new world it was becoming.

 

Since Cloud had nothing to pack and could not lend a hand, Jaejoong was not surprised to see his friend hovering around him. The black cloud was taking his time before unleashing the barrage of questions Jaejoong had gotten used to in the past years.

 

Cloud may be an eternal being who collected knowledge and information, but his curiosity was without boundaries. His interest in the discovery of new technology and how it worked as well as the different kinds of magic a new mage possessed was equal to his interest in local and national gossips.

 

Jaejoong suspected that if Cloud would be turned into a library, his life and exploits would have a special shelf in that library.

 

"You are about to burst, Cloud, better ask your questions before thunderbolts start appearing from your body. I have no intention of getting hit by your thunderbolts today," he teased his friend.

 

"You do know what Dara feels for you, right?" he whispered.

 

"Yes."

 

"Then why are you going to leave her to her family? They thought she died. And her coming back looking like she did twenty years ago would cause problems and apprehensions to her family. She would be much more comfortable with us. Her family are like strangers to her now."

 

"Aren't you supposed to ask me how could I seduce her if she's not with me?"

 

"That's what you keep saying. But I believe, Donghae was right last night. You have another plan for Dara. You didn't just bring her here just to leave her to her family she barely knows."

 

"Cloud, how many women do you know?"

 

"A lot!"

 

"How many of them do you understand?"

 

"None. Women are the most mysterious creatures in this world. It's hard to understand or predict what they are thinking or what they would do."

 

"I do not claim to be very knowledgeable when it comes to women, but I know Dara. You cannot force her to do something even if she wants to do it. If I tell her she must become part of our League, she would resist and would continually defy me. This way, if she does decide to become part of the League, she would accept my terms and respect me."

 

"But what would happen to her if we leave her in Mussur?"

 

"She would definitely get bored." He smiled. Hopefully, before they reach her family's home, she would have made a decision to swear allegiance to him and become part of the League. If she continued being stubborn, Jaejoong would let her experience the life of an ordinary peasant for several days before coming back to Mussur and giving her a chance to change her mind.

 

"What do you really plan to do to her, Jaejoong?"

 

"You will soon find that out, my friend. But we must concentrate first on the Cult of SooHyuk. You heard what Donghae said last night. His advisers had decided to have me killed to stop the Cult of SooHyuk from turning me into a true Lord of Darkness."

 

"He had already dismissed all of his stupid advisers, so you wouldn't be hunted and killed today or any other day," said Cloud.

 

"That will not stop the Cult of SooHyuk. But Dara could ruin their plans."

 

"How?"

 

"It's best that you don't know for now, Cloud."

 

"Why not? We're friends! We don't keep secrets from each other!" he protested.

 

"You don't keep secrets from everyone!" he reminded his friend.

 

"Your enemies would not be able to catch me. And even if they do find a way to hold me, I would never be forced to tell them the truth."

 

Jaejoong sighed.

 

"Cloud, no one needs to force you. You talk too much. And you can be easily tricked to tell the truth. You are like a book, that once opened, information and facts would simply come flying out!"

 

"I am not like that!" he fumed, literally, as tendrils of smoke began coming out of his body.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter