CHAPTER 18

Lord of Darkness Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was a bright cloudless day. But the wind blowing in the City of the Dead remained cold. Jaejoong always wondered why the wind in this city was always cold no matter what time of day it was. Squinting against the sun, Jaejoong watched as the mourners began their trek back to their own towns and cities. The regents and the royal family all took the path back to Lord Seung-won's villa. All of Lord Seung-won's friends were invited to witness the reading of the will of the latter.

 

Jaejoong's father had already informed him that Lord Seung-won had named him as his heir. The former regent had not only given Jaejoong his powers but also everything he owned and possessed during his long life.

 

Donghae had quickly inquired about the success of Seung-won's plan when they temporarily had a moment to themselves to offer their last words to Lord Seung Won's remains that was entombed in his newly built mausoleum. Donghae reiterated the need for Jaejoong to remain vigil since members of the Cult of SooHyuk were now everywhere and growing in numbers.

 

Donghae had gone with his family to head back to Seung-won's villa. The royal family would be staying for the night in the villa. Soldiers and knights would be stationed around the villa and in the whole plantation to secure the safety of Haldor's king. Jaejoong could never live a life cloistered like that. Even as a child, he had rebelled against his numerous protectors and guardians.

 

He never once regretted his decision to give Donghae the throne. He had chosen freedom. Donghae was stuck being king. Always cloistered inside the castle and when he did go out, still remained caged by the numerous attendants, retainers and soldiers that accompanied him. There was also the fact that even when his wife had become unfaithful, he couldn't just annul his marriage. There were a lot of political as well as grave personal repercussions that could result since Jessica was the niece of Lady Hye-Kyo, the Regent of Yore.

 

Donghae never had a chance to choose his own bride. The regents had decided it for him. Royal marriages had always been arranged. Love was not part of the decision of such arrangements. And Jaejoong had personally witnessed such kind of marriage between his parents. He both love and respect his parents, but he couldn't stand being with them in one room when they started to argue before. Nowadays, the two had learned to become friends but this was because most of the time, they lived on different mansions and only see each other on special occasions like today.

 

Jaejoong's mother, Lady Na-young, had gone with Lady Ye-Jin, the Regent of Risine, back to Seung-won's villa to oversee the preparation for the reading of the will tomorrow morning.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter