CHAPTER 5

Lord of Darkness Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jaejoong watched with interest as the royal airship hovered on top of the nearest hill near their campsite before finally settling down. The occupants of the airship must have started to disembark. Any moment now, he would be seeing one of the advisers of the king.

 

"I have to give the palace spies credit. They knew exactly when you would be returning, Jaejoong," commented Yoochun who continued stirring the tea leaves in the boiling pot.

 

"They could have used a simple airship, they did not need to bring an army," said Junsu. "Unless they are here to fight us and not send us to a new mission."

 

Bom had heard the commotion and the noise the royal airship always brought whenever it appeared. She had left the tent and was now standing beside them and silently watching the ship. The airship's noise could be easily muted, but Jaejoong suspected that the noise was deliberately left intact in order to announce to the common folks the presence of the royal army. Donghae's advisers believed that such display of power would automatically put awe and respect in the minds of the people. It would also serve as a warning to would-be troublemakers to run or stay away before the king's arrival.

 

Just as Jaejoong had predicted, a line of soldiers on foot and horseback came marching to their camp. In the middle of this night parade was the royal carriage. He was hoping that a friendly face would poke out of the carriage. He did not want to talk or face Adviser Siwon or Adviser Heechul and his smoking pipe.

 

The soldiers surrounded their camp to secure the place from unwanted visitors and dangers. The carriage stopped a few feet before their group.

 

When the occupant of the carriage climbed out to meet them, all of Jaejoong's companions dropped down to their knees to show respect to the king of Haldor. Jaejoong remained standing and looking directly at the visitor.

 

"This is a surprise, Donghae. Five months ago, you drove me out of the City of Solaris and told me that you do not want to see me again," he reminded the king.

 

"Is that a new style you want to perpetuate in Haldor? Moustaches and beards still remains unfashionable. You look like a barbarian, Jaejoong," Donghae chided Jaejoong.

 

"Did you come here so you could advise me on fashion? Or did you bring me a razor I could use to shave?"

 

Approaching footsteps made Donghae turn. Jaejoong wanted to laugh out loud when Donghae's mouth fell open as his eyes settled on Dara. The king was shocked speechless by Dara's presence.

 

"Hello, Donghae," Dara's voice broke the silence.

 

"D-Dara? Is that really you? But that's not possible. I mean, you looked the same as the day we all went to Solaris twenty years ago!"

 

Dongahe turned to look back at Jaejoong. His eyes widened as the truth began to dawn on him. He raised a hand and quickly pointed an accusing finger at Jaejoong.

 

"You... You're Han all along!" he shouted.

 

"Do you really want to talk about the past in front of everyone? Or would you prefer we have a private conversation in my tent?"

 

"You definitely have a lot of explaining to do, Jaejoong!"

 

Jaejoong laughed. His father, the former King Won Bin had long since retired and was now quietly living in a villa in Gorge with his mother. But ever since Donghae ascended the throne and became king, Jaejoong felt that his father had not only handed the throne to Donghae but also the responsibility to look after him. Even the words his father used whenever he tested his patience was now part of Donghae's vocabulary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lee Donghae became king of Haldor because of Jaejoong. He was only a few years older than Jaejoong, but governing a world where magic and science had been given free reign had turned most of his hair white and put more wrinkles on his face. He knew problems would arise after the destruction of the Oracle, so he formed the Council of Haldor composed of himself and the five reg

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter