CHAPTER 23

Lord of Darkness Part II
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"We leave before dawn tomorrow," announced Jaejoong after they had eaten the dinner cooked by Junsu. All of them were sitting around the campfire. "Get enough sleep because we might be in for a fight."

 

"A fight? With whom? The cult?" inquired Yoochun. "Those people do not fight face to face. Their tactic is to wait until you sleep, then they attack. "

 

"I am talking about bandits, my friend. We are going to Yore."

 

Yoochun grimaced.

 

"We are going to Yore?" repeated Junsu.

 

"There are bandits in Yore?" Dara couldn't believe it. Bandits were unheard of twenty years ago.

 

Yore was the region best known for their livestock. Cattle, goats, sheep, pigs, chicken and all kinds of animals were being bred in Yore. Three of the main products of the region were meat, wool and fertilizer. Half of the population of Yore owned ranches and drive cattle all throughout the region which was rich and abundant with the greenest grass in Haldor. Unlike Mussur where Peak and Rusum river flowed, only the Peak river flowed in Yore. The upper part of the Peak river ran across the northern part of Yore before bending toward Mussur and then going out again to flow in the Southern part of Yore.

 

"That's what the rumors say," quipped Cloud.

 

"I thought we are going after the Cult of SooHyuk," Dara said.

 

"This is just a detour to help out the Yore League. They have been having problems with bandits and cattle ranchers were complaining a lot," explained Jaejoong.

 

"Can't Lady Song Hye-Kyo do something about it? She could easily drown those bandits with her powers," countered Yoochun.

 

"Lady Hye-Kyo is currently in Solaris," said Jaejoong. "She has to attend to her niece, Queen Jessica. The queen found herself in deep trouble lately. Lady Hye-Kyo had accompanied Queen Jessica to Solaris to solve the problem."

 

Dara was intrigued about this problem.

 

"What problem?" asked Yoochun.

 

"Queen Jessica had broken her marriage vows!" announced Cloud. "And King Donghae wants an annulment."

 

Yoochun, Junsu and Bom were shocked by this news. Never in the history of Haldor had a queen betrayed her king. Dara though had an inkling as to who was responsible for Donghae's marriage troubles. When she was still an Oracle, she knew of Jessica's feelings toward Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong scratched his head with resignation. There really was no stopping Cloud's loud mouth, even if he had no mouth at all.

 

"I am going to sleep," Jaejoong rose from his seat and strode to the tent standing on the southern side of their camp. The tents were arranged around the fire, forming a triangle. Such formation also made sure that each tent was in the middle of the two other tents ensuring that all occupants would become aware if something happened to the others.

 

Cloud didn't waste time telling the latest scandal in Donghae's love life. It soon became apparent to all of them the reason why Jaejoong had decided to leave Mussur in haste. He was the reason, Queen Jessica had betrayed her husband!

 

With this revelation, three pair of eyes turned to Dara. She felt embarrassed and chagrined at the attention.

 

"You should not allow Jaejoong to be with any other woman," advised Bom.

 

"I cannot stop him!" she quickly protested. "If there's anyone who should stop his behavior, it should be Lady Krsytal. She is after all his betrothed."

 

"Not anymore," interjected Junsu.

 

"What?" Dara was intrigued. Her heart seemed to do a somersault.

 

"He talked to her this morning after she noticed the mark on your neck, Dara," explained Junsu. "She was asking about these rumors she was hearing about you and Jaejoong spending the night together."

 

Dara wanted to correct that. But Junsu continued talking.

 

"She berated him in her own fashion that such behavior is not proper for her husband-to-be. Let's say Jaejoong received an earful of tongue lashings. Lady Krystal had always looked so calm and dainty, one would never believed she had claws hiding inside her. But those claws came out during that morning talk. She threatened Jaejoong, saying that if he doesn't stop fooling around with other women, she would cancel their engagement and marry someone else."

 

"I could guess Jaejoong's answer." Yoochun chuckled.

 

Junsu stood up and assumed the demeanor of Jaejoong.

 

"Well, this is what our esteemed leader did. He bowed his head and said, I graciously accept your decision, Milady. I am not worthy to be your husband. So, I now free you from our engagement." Junsu delivered the dialogue while trying to imitate Jaejoong's actions that morning.

 

Yoochun guffawed. Bom joined in the laughter. Dara didn't know how to react.

 

"And that's that. Jaejoong had once again successfully avoided another mar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter