CHAPTER FOURTY SEVEN

Prove Them Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The store was empty, except for the young store clerk who, upon seeing them, moved to lock the big doors behind them and pressed the button that automotically drew the curtains to shut the big windows. The store looked more empty, except for the carpet of flower petals that were strewn throughout...in what appeared to be a path. The lights were dimmed and there were strategically placed candelabras emitting the most beautiful glow. Seungyeon remembered thinking, for the briefest of moments, that he can't be seriously pushing through with his proposal. But when her eyes made her way back to him, back to Jonghyun, time began ticking again. Her eyes met his and the rush of emotions that hit her brought tears to her eyes, a lump to , and an extra beat to her heart.

"Jonghyun-ah..." Her voice was soft. "What is this?"

"Yeobo," his voice came out softer than he intended to, he leans in to kiss her. Her lips opened under his and when he pulled away, she was left breathless. "You know what this is..." He held her hands tightly, guiding her through the path. 

"Saesange..." She breathed, a smile appearing on her lips upon understanding. Her initial anxiety faded from her as her heart took over; and soared. This was it. Her eyes brightened, her smile beamed reaching her ears, This was it. Seeing how overjoyed she was, Jonghyun's smile widened.

"I have been thinking about this for a very, very long time. Ever since I asked you to marry me before you left for New York, I have never stopped thinking how am I going to properly propose to you." His eyes met hers and his breath hitched for a moment, "At first I thought I would compose a song for you. But everytime I sat down with my guitar, the words just wouldn't come out..." They rounded on a corner among the shelves of books. "So as I was killing time at this local book store back in Seoul, I found this." He stopped at a shelf and pulled a book out. Flipping to a previously marked page, he read, "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more." "It's Emma by Jane Austen." and closed the book softly. "When I read that I thought... that's perfect! The words aren't coming because there are no words for..." He took a deep breath. "The words that I have in me are nowhere near for what I really want to say to you and, maybe, if there was less love in me for you, then there would be more room for words... But I think I prefer it this way."

"So," he glanced around the empty store, "Books have always been part of me. And I think It had always been part of who we are." Seungyeon blushed as she thought of all the book recommendations they gave one another. "So... I consulted the stacks and I've come up with a few things that I would like to say to you, with a little help from our favorite authors that is." He pulled a few envelopes from his pocket and handed it to her.

"What are these?" She took one marked with the number one on the flap.

"These are your clues. Read them according to number."

"William Shakespeare..." She read from it. "Much Ado About Nothing..."She pondered this for a moment and looked down on the path, "Oh..." She looked back at him and then, around the store, reading signs. This was a game, a treasure hunt of some sort.

Finding where she was headed, she moved, rushing through the petals at her feet, Jonghyun right behind her, until she found the section. Scanning the books, her eyes grew wide when she found it. Excitedly, she pulled it from the shelf, reading the note in front. "Though friendship was in the horizon, in the beginning the Boy detested the Girl. And the Girl was repulsed by the Boy." She chuckled as she remembered their history, "That's true."

"We can't deny our roots," Jonghyun grinned watching her flip through the pages to the marked page.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter