CHAPTER FOURTY THREE

Prove Them Wrong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two days before graduation was about wrapping things up. Jonghyun came up with the idea of having a joint graduation party with Seungyeon. Since he thinks it's the perfect time for Jonghyun to introduce her to his family. Though she was immediately leery of his plan, his excitement and determination won her out.

"A joint graduation party?" Her voice was weary. "I don't know Jonghyun-ah"

"What's wrong with that?" He narrowed his eyes at her.

"Getting all our parents at the same room at the same time..." She shook his head. "Plus, for sure, your other relatives would be there too. It just seems like we're begging for some drama."

"They have all been in the same room together before." Jonghyun tried to lie.

"No, no they haven't. My parents has never met, well, any of your parents. Neither have I! And to top it of, I don't think other members of your family are fond of me." Seungyeon groaned as she thought of what was coming.

"But soon in life, we're going to be married." Jonghyun countered. "Eventually they all have to find a way to get along"

"Yes, but four years is much further away from today."

"Seungyeon-ah" he had a tone of finality in his voice, "It's happening. Accept it."

"This is going to be a disaster" Seungyeon thought.

Jonghyun notices her worried look, "It's going to be fine. Don't be bothered by what my kind say about our relationship. They don't matter anyway." And then with a kiss on her forehead, Seungyeon considered the discussion closed.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

GRADUATION DAY

Though Seungyeon had set her alarm for 7 and a back-up alarm for 7:30, at 5:30 her eyes were fluttered open and there she was; wide awake. "This is it, Seungyeon. Your last day of high school." She decided to lay down in bed and wait for her alarm to ring. "You're not going to be a part-timer all your life, Seungyeon. You will be successful in your own way." 

The events of that morning faded too quickly for her; showering, dressing, and eating breakfast. Seungyeon finished getting ready and then, along with her family, slipped into a cab that would take them all to the venue.

The auditorium was unlike any experience the graduating students had been part of. Feeling slightly ill at ease, Seungyeon withdrew herself until she met up with her batch mates. As they marched to their seats, she held her breath "This is really it."

Jonghyun smiled as he thought of Seungyeon, his Seungyeon, sitting in front of him, ready to graduate; ready to move forward. He fought back the tears as he tried to control the pride he has for her; bursting in his chest. She was, after all, graduating as Salutatorian. And then, when the announcer spoke her name, he rose to his feet. Seungyeon; his best friend, his lover, his future wife. In a moment of pure, uninhibited pride and bursting joy, Jonghyun stood, clapped, and cheered. He felt not a single ounce of embarassment or shame. He felt nothing but pride for her.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

AFTER PARTY

"Go ahead and say it, Seungyeon-ah" Jonghyun whispered to her as they took a slight break from mingling. "This party is turning out quite well."

"Fine." she chuckled. "This party is turning quite out well." Though she had been weary of a joint graduation party since the beginning, things actually turned out quite well. Her parents had manage to succesfully navigate the awkwardness of meeting their future son-in-law's family and his family somehow managed to seem much less anxious socializing with humans. And now, as the guests conversed, the music played, and the staff continue to refresh the food and drinks, Seungyeon had forgotten what had made her nervous to begin with. 

"I told you to never doubt me." he grinned as he looked around the room at their friends and family. Everyone seem to be getting along just fine. Both their mothers together with Seolhyun's mother where talking in hushed detail how their daughters looked beautiful in her dresses. Up in one corner, their sisters were exc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter