The Guilty Heart

It Started With the Rain!


Baekhyun’s POV

Hours. 

For hours I’d been crying  but still the pain won’t go away. I have never learned to cry and feel the pain or anything similar to that. My parents and everybody else around me has always made it sure to never make me sad or unhappy. All my wishes, no matter how childish it may seem has been always fullfilled.I've seen people cry though. In movies and the shows, in real life and from what I know, they never look pretty. Their eyes swell and are puffy. They are unable to breathe, speak, think. They are like zombies and look totally scary.

So, was I looking like one to? 

Oh how much I wish I could blame Luhan for this! 

I lost Chanyeol and Kyungsoo and Jongin were not talking to me either. 

And what hurt the most was Chanyeol’s confession. He liked me but being the stupid, idiot , I just ruined everything.

If only I had not gone blind in my useless jealousy and taking revenge from Luhan, Chanyeol and I would’ve been texting or hanging out somewhere. 

Now he won’t even look at me!

Texts.

Calls.

Voicemails.

I did everything but there was no reply from his side. How foolish of me to expect anything!

A fresh stream of tears rolled over my cheeks and I clutched hard on the pillow.

“Baek?” 

Popping my head out the blanket, I saw Kyungsoo standing next to the bed. Behind him was Jongin, standing at the doorframe.

Sobbing hard, I wrapped my arms around him and muttered sorry.
He hugged me back and drew circles on my back.

“Sshh.. it’s okay. Don’t cry.” He cooed. 

“I-I am so sorr-sorryy! Please d-don’t hate m-me!” I said in between the sobs.

“I am not angry, Baek. I was but not now.” Kyungsoo sat next to me and wiped off the tears.

“Y-you’re n-no-not?”

“No. We’re not.” Jongin sat next to me and cupped my face.

“I..I thought-“

“Friends don’t leave each other when they’re in need, right?” The tan boy smiled and hugged me. 

I was speechless and ashamed. Jongin's words hit me straight through the heart.  If only I was more mature to know the meaning of 'friend' a little bit sooner, I wouldn't have ever hurt Chanyeol, or Luhan. Kyungsoo and Jongin, no matter how stupid or mean I'd become, they never left my side. Never for once left me hanging by myself. Yes they would scold me, smack my head, do their best to knock some sense in my head, but will always protect me and me being me, misused the love and care they showered me with. 

AND WHY AM I REALISING THESE THINGS JUST THIS LATE?? Just WOW!

“I am sorry. I should’ve been here for you.” Kyungsoo sadly said and I waved at him. 

“It’s all my fault Soo! I am responsible for this. If only I could turn back time, I would’ve been more mature.” I mumbled.

"Baek-"

"Chanyeol was right. I don't know what a friend is. I am not a good friend either. I never was. You guys are always here with me when I need you, but when you both were suffering on your own, I never even asked if you guys were alright. I knew Soo, that you were hiding your feeling for Jongin away. I knew how much Jongin was sad when you didn't talk to him for a whole week but yet, I tried to ignore it all because I was being selfish. And I am so sorry for that! I don't deserve you guys!" Tears kept rolling down my cheek and I was too ashamed to face the two friends of mine.

"Waah Baek! I never knew you are such a deep person!" Jongin was the first one to break the uncomfortable silence.

"And I wouldn't even deny the fact that you are not selfish. Because you are a !"

He smacked my hand and I yelped.

"But whatever you are Baek, we still love you. Everybody loves you." Kyungsoo said and I looked at him in awe.   

"Riiiggghhhttt Byun Baekhyun! We both love you!"

Jongin and Kyungsoo smiled at me and we group hugged. A few minutes later, Kyungsoo brought in dinner. I was in no mood and it was just 7 in the evening, but Kyungsoo Umma shoved the spoon in my mouth, giving me no option but to chew the food. After the dinner, Jongin was fast asleep on the couch and I called one of the maids to take the plates away. Me and Kyungsoo cuddled in the blanket, my hands wrapped tightly around his waist. He was humming a song that was slowly making me to drift into the dreamland.

“Good night, Baekkie.” He whispered.

I hummed.

“Soo?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you think Chanyeol will ever forgive me?”

Kyungsoo opened his eyes and smiled.

“If he will not, love will.” 

The statement puzzled me but I was too worn out to decode it. 



Chanyeol’s POV

Knocking on his door, I entered his room. Luhan was silently sitting near the window, staring at the world outside. 

I’ve seen him suffering like this twice and my heart ached seeing him like this.

“Lu? I am sorry.” I said. 

He turned his head and blankly stared. No tears, no emotions, nothing. His shiny eyes were now hollow and gloomy and it made my heart ache and made me feel terrible.  

What was I even thinking when that stupid idea of bringing that prick home entered my mind! It's all my fault! Mine alone! I knew he was always trying to hurt Luhan, I knew how much they both hated each other but still, I welcomed Baekhyun with open arms.

Stupid me!

“If only I wouldn’t have brought that nutcase in the house, he wouldn’t have hurt you.”

“It’s nobody’s fault, Chan.” 

Luhan smiled and only I could tell how fake it was. I wanted to comfort him more but he asked me to leave him.

Sighing, I left the room.

My phone kept on buzzing but I didn’t want to check it. I knew it was Baekhyun, and he was the last person I felt like talking to right now.

Because of him my best friend was in pain and I couldn’t do a thing to make it easy for him. 

I will never talk to him again, let alone even sparing a glance at him. 

“Yeol?” I saw Luhan standing at the door, crying. Rushing to him, I hugged him and drew circles at his back. 

“Please don’t cry Lu. Everything’s going to be okay. I’m with you.” I cooed and he seemed to calm down. I made him to walk to my bed and layed next to him. We stayed in the bed for three hours until the clock stuck 7 and I had to go for my shift in the café. 

“Will you be okay? Do you want me to stay?” I asked but he rejected saying he too had work. 

“Take care and if you need anything, just call me, okay?” 

He nodded and pulled the blanket up.

At the café my mind kept on going back to Luhan making me to mess up with the orders. 

“Hey. Are you okay Chanyeol?” Hyoyeon, my co-worker asked.

I replied with a nod. She looked at me weird and then went away. 

“Hello. Welcome to EXO Ca-“ 

My blood started to boil as I saw him. I wanted to chase him out but the thought of getting fired overpowered that. 

But this doesn’t mean I’m still gonna treat him nice.

Not after what he did to Luhan. 

“what are you doing here?” I glowered. 

“Can I talk to you?” he asked lowly. For a good few seconds, I kept staring at him. Was he really serious? Coming to my workplace after the he has done and now playing around?

Woh! I need to give him some bravery award. 

“No.” I simply said. “There’s nothing to talk about.”

“There is. Please Chanyeol. I’m asking just for five minu-“

“I said NO! Get out! I don’t want to see your face!” Baekhyun flinched and ran out. 

Before even I could take a breath, my boss called me in and well, here I am being fired.
What a ingly hellish bad day!

Gathering my things, I walked out of the café and waited for the bus. Baekhyun’s face popped out of nowhere into my mind and I felt like crying. He too seemed to have cried for long. I could tell it from his bloodshot and puffy eyes. I wanted to forgive him, wanted to run after him and tell that everything's okay. I wanted to hug him and tell him not cry.

We just had gotten to go along good and things were going great between us.

Just why he had to up everything this bad?

He didn’t like Luhan, I was aware of that.

However, if only I had known he hated him this much, I would’ve never been friends with him-suddenly something clicked in my mind. 

Was he.. was he using me?


Baekhyun’s POV

The days felt like hell.

I tried to talk to Chanyeol fow a week now but he just didn’t acknowledge me. If it would’ve been any other normal day, I would really have shot his head with a gun but because it wasn’t, putting my ing pride aside, I kept begging him to at least give me a chance to explain myself.

Kyungsoo and Jongin told me to give him some time to cool off but I just can’t wait that long! I ing miss him. So, I will keep trying until he finally talks to me.

It was lunch break and after taking my food, I scanned the cafeteria for a brown-headed Yoda and waltzed to his table when I finally found him eating with Luhan and Kris in the corner.

Kyungsoo and Jongin followed me quietly. 

“Hey.” I chirped. Nobody said a thing. 

Okay. One more time.

“Hello guys! Can I-“

“Save it, Byun. You already have done enough damage. We don’t want you here.” Kris scowled. I looked at Kyungsoo and Jongin to help me. 

“All the tables are full, Kris. Can we please-“

“You both can, but not him.” He said firmly. I heard Luhan saying something but couldn’t figure what he was saying but, whatever it was,  it surely made Chanyeol furious.

“Chanyeol can I si-“

“What part of ‘we don’t want you here’ doesn’t get through your brain?” he snapped. 

I’ve always seen a Chanyeol who is always smiling off his white teeth, goofying around and overly hyperactive but this- was something new. He was furious, angry and his stares would make you to dig your own grave ‘cause it was the only safest place where he won’t be coming after you with a knife. And all the credit goes to my jealousy.

But, like I said, I won’t give up until he lets me explain myself.

“Chanyeol, I’m sorry. I know I did wrong. Please forgive me! Luhan, I’m sorry for everything! I swear I’ll behave from now on and I’d be a good frien-“

“Friend? You’d be a good friend?” Chanyeol had his eyes wide.

Luhan looked up and I could see how bad he looked. I’ve never seen the Chinese doll so pale and broken. 

man! I really have messed it big. I mentally made a note to apologize to Luhan personally and maybe be friends with him.

 For good.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” he sarcastically chuckled and slammed his hands on the table. Fear crept into me as I saw his expressions darkening and I knew I’ve pulled up the wrong strings.

“You know Byun, friends don’t use each other to get revenge on their enemies.” 

Use? I looked at him in confusion. What was he talking about?

“I don’t get it.. what are you talking about yeol?”

“Oh ofcourse you won’t understand Byun Baekhyun. Because for that you need to have ing brains.” He raised his voice and I could feel all the eyes at us. 

“Chanyeol, enough. Stop it now. Let’s go!” Luhan stood up. 

“Hold on!” I raised my finger. “nobody’s going anywhere till he tells me what he meant by use!” 

“You wanna know?” Chanyeol took steps forward making me feel like running away and hide in a closet. And maybe I would’ve done that only if he wasn’t a hairline away from me.

“Y-yes.” I stammered and blushed.

Oh god!

Even in such a situation I can’t stop from fanboying and nose bleedings!

Damn me!

“You used me Baekhyun. To get revenge on Luhan. ”

“W-what?” I had my eyes wide open.

“Now aren’t you over the moon that you finally got what you were craving for?” he snapped.

He thinks I used him? 

My lungs stopped breathing and my heart broke into pieces. 

“No Yeol. I nev-never us-used.. yo-“

“SHUT UP! Don’t call me Yeol! You’ve lost this privilege to call me by that name! You get it? Oh, and just a piece of advice here-never go through anyone’s personal things. They’d only see you as a ing low life when they find out things are either missing or had been announced among the public.”

“OMO! Baekhyun oppa stole the diary?”

“Ya ya.. didn’t he confessed that he hated him?” 

“Oh yes!”

“Byun Baekhyun’s a thief? Isn’t it like breaking news?”

 “Don’t you guys have anything else to do?” Jongin yelled and the others went back to whatever they were doing.

Kyungsoo held my hand and squeezed it, trying to comfort me but I was far from even knowing how to breathe. 

“You’d go this low, I never had expected that! I thought that maybe you aren’t like the others..and when I just had began to trust you, you had to prove me wrong..You are just like them, Baekhyun… just like them.” Chanyeol sounded broken and I saw his eyes glassy. 

Was he crying?

Giving me a last look, he walked out of the cafeteria.