Mistake #2

Fated To You

Luhan had only heard of the palace from the ajumma next door who would constantly brag to her group of friends about her beautiful daughter possibly having an opportunity to marry the crowned prince. Every time, he'd listen to the old woman's voice through the thin walls of his apartment as she explains that there was an enormous gate at the main entrance, one so large you can't miss it even if you've lost both your eyes. That, Luhan doesn't quite understand, but neither has he put much effort to.

Kyungsoo was supposedly meeting with one of the head coordinators of the wedding back at the restaurant, meaning that Luhan had a free day to himself.

And so, the next day, Luhan spent his time around town searching for the main entrance of the palace. With the big wedding in one day, they didn't have any time to waste. The food had to be delivered at the requested time and Luhan definitely couldn't screw up the ceremony. Definitely could not.

Of course, coming from the further end of the town was more difficult to reach the main center but Luhan didn't mind having to take the crowded train. It was one of those seldom things he enjoyed. In fact, he almost loves it as much as he does when he could treat his best friend for a quick lunch on one of their 'less busy' days. There was something about the brotherhood they shared that brought a gentle smile to his face.

"Yah, have you heard the rumor about the royal prince's marriage?"

Luhan glanced at the teenage girls gossiping beside him. Rumor?

"No, what happened? What is it?" A few others ask eagerly. Luhan just couldn't help but lean a bit closer to listen.

"People are saying that the great queen is all behind the decision of who Prince Oh is marrying! The prince supposedly had a lover but his grandmother is against their marriage." The first girl explains and one beside her squeals.

"Omo! Really? So, the bride and Prince Oh are not marrying because of romance or love?"

"Asa! She must be ugly or extremely unattractive! We still have a chance!"

Luhan can only furrow his brows at the strange conversation between the fangirls. How could they say that about the future queen of their country? Was the prince really that great and handsome to have people holding such rumors?

Just as Luhan was about to move away from the group of girls, the train came to a terribly shaky and seemingly unstable stop, causing most of the standing passengers to lose their balance and lean to one direction. Within the mix of screams and startled yelps, Luhan almost falls over when someone bumps into his chest. 

"Aish! Watch where you're going old lady!" Someone yells, catching Luhan's attention.

"My apologies-"

"Get lost you old hag!"

"Yah! You jerk! Don't you have any manners!?" Luhan glares at the man before turning his attention to the older woman who had 

"Ah, halmeoni!"  Luhan exclaims with worry before grabbing a firm but gently grip on her shoulders. "Are you alright?"

The old woman's tight hold on Luhan's arm is released when they both find themselves in a suitable position within the crowd of people.

"Aigoo, thank you so much. Such a fine young man, I'm fine, thanks to you." She tells him with a grateful smile and he lets out a sigh of relief.

"That's good to hear! You can grab onto my arm if you're still uncomfortable. How can people be so damn rude a-" Luhan says before cutting himself off with wide eyes.

"Ani..I mean-"

The old woman just laughed with an eye smile but nonetheless held onto Luhan's arm for support. 

After moving from China, Luhan just couldn't feel at home. Korea was great and all, especially with Kyungsoo around, but it just wasn't the same. Korea wasn't his home.

"What stop are you going to?" He asks, looking at the older woman. She didn't seem very fragile, in fact, she looked very healthy for her age. 

"Just around town to pick up a few things. I'm having a small get together in a few days." She tells me and I quickly glance at the heavy bag she was already carrying. 

"Mind if I come along? I don't quite know my way around town and I could help you with your belongings. I'm quite strong, you know." He says with a bright smile and the grandmother chuckles at his excitement.

"C'mon, let's get off here. There's a shop I'd like to visit." The older woman says, slightly pulling Luhan's arm as the train comes to a, softer, stop at the station.

 

---

"What kind of cake are you looking for?" Luhan asks with  fascination as he enters a tiny and quiet bakery. There weren't any seats or display cases like the other stores they had passed by. In fact, you probably wouldn't have been able to distinguish that it was a bakery unless you walked all the way inside and smelled the gentle waft of freshly made bread and other sweets. 

"Just something nice. The person who runs this shop is an old friend of mine." She tells me before walking to a wooden counter and rings a small bell. 

"Jungsoo?!" A voice calls out in surprise. Another older woman appears from the backroom with flour and other baking ingredients dusted on a stained apron. She looked slightly younger than halmeoni but the age difference couldn't have been more than 3 years. 

"Hye-rim, it's been a while." Halmeoni says as her friend comes around the counter to give her a tight hug.

"A while? It's been nearly 17 years! What brings you here?" Hye-rim asks as her arms slide from halmeoni's shoulders to her hands. 

"Oh you know, with the get together so soon, I was wondering if I could request a cake from you. You're the finest baker in town and I just had to ask for your assistance." 

"Aigoo, you haven't changed a bit!  Why do you still say 'get together'? That term can't even describe the event!" She tells halmeoni with a smile before look over at Luhan.

"And who is this?" 

"Luhan." He responds with a respectful bow, just realizing that he hadn't told halmeoni my name either. 

"Not from Korea are you?" 

"No, m'am. Beijing, China." He says proudly and she turns to her friend with a confused expression.

" Is he a new servant? Body guard?" 

"No, he's.." Halmeoni looks Luhan with endearment in her eyes. "a friend.." 

Luhan just smiles, not knowing what she was trying so say, out of politeness. It was not an introduction he was expecting.

"Omo.." She just mumbles with a hand reaching over to in surprise and halmeoni laughs. 

"So, about the cake.."

 

---

By the time their town shopping was over, Luhan was too exhausted and confused. They had gone to 2 other shops further into town, and in which Luhan happily accompanied halmeoni to. The older woman watched over him and spoke to him like a friend and like a family member.

But Luhan still didn't understand. If the older woman was just having a get together, why did she need a 5 layered cake, 20,000 bottles of the finest wine, and 500,000 roses of all the shades of red and pink? And not to mention the costs of these! 

Every so often, Luhan would stare at halmeoni but only see a kindhearted old woman. Maybe she was just wealthy and tended to overdo the decorations. Or maybe her guests were heavy drinkers with extremely large appetites. It just didn't make sense to Luhan.

Eventually, they found themselves seated at a small park just around the corner of the florist. Luhan places her heavy bag on the bench before he immediately getting up behind her to massage her tired shoulders.

"Aigoo, thank you. Your parents are lucky to have a fine son like you!" Luhan froze for a second at her words before continuing.

"You must be tired from all the walking..."

It was quiet for a while before Luhan spoke up again. He had these questions were begging to be asked.

"Halmeoni.." He started off slowly and waited until she nodded her head.

"Why are you ordering so many flowers and such a huge cake for a small party?" 

Halmeoni didn't turn around but simply answered. "I need to feed my guests and make the event festive, don't I?" 

"Yes, but 500,000 roses.." Luhan continues with disbelief. 

"That's the least I can do for my grandson." She says with a sad smile. Luhan stopped and slowly took a seat beside the older woman.

"What do you mean?" 

"All these preparations are for my beloved grandson. He's about to get married." 

Luhan's lips curl to a smile. "That's wonderful! Congratulations!" 

"But he's not happy about the marriage.." She tells him with a sigh and Luhan pouts.

"Why not? Marriage is about love, happiness, and starting a new life!" 

Halmeoni stares at Luhan, understanding his innocence. 

"There are only some things your other half can give you. For example, you have this bright glow that you seem to give off, no matter what situation. These qualities you hold will bring your partner closer to you." Halmeoni says with a gentle smile and holds Luhan's hands in hers.

"Aye, I'm not that awesome.  Actually, you remind me of my own grandmother, but she.. she passed away recenty while in China. But being with you today makes me feel like I have a loving family again." Luhan says, almost tearing at the memories with his grandmom. Sure, Kyungsoo was with him and they were closer than brothers but it wasn't the same with a dongsaeng. Luhan could feel the older, and wiser guidance he was missing.

"Tell me more about your grandmother.." 

"Well, she lived in China by herself. She was quite like you actually. Kind, gentle, friendly, and thoughtful. I really miss her. She was really popular in town, too! Almost everyone knew her and she was always willing to help others." Luhan spoke proudly about his grandmother.

"And your parents?"

"T-They both passed away when I was 3. I don't have many memories of my mother or my father." Luhan frowns.

"I'm sorry to hear that.." Halmeoni frowns but Luhan shakes his head.

"It's alright. I've been living on my own, well with my friend, and Korea is a lovely country."

"Your grandmother has raised you well. "

"She did, didn't she?" Luhan says with a sad expression before halmeoni rests her hand on his shoulder gently.

"Why can't I have you as my grandson? That young brat doesn't appreciate anything I do for him. He ignores all my requests and he doesn't even greet me when we are in the same room.' She sighs with a tired smile.

"I'm sure he loves you deep inside. No matter how bratty he can be, he probably worries about you, too." Luhan encourages.

"I don't think he does anymore. Not after this marriage.."

"He won't hate you forever. I've only known you today but you've showered me with so much kindness. You're like the grandmother I never had." He tells the older woman with a smile.

At his words, she immediately lifted her head and stared at Luhan with hopeful eyes. 

"Would you like to be my grandson?"

"W-What?" Luhan was thrown off guard by the sudden  question.

"Be my grandson. I'll provide you with everything." She tells him eagerly and Luhan blinks a couple times. He could mentally hear Kyungsoo scolding him again for answering others before completely thinking about his reply.

"I-I.. I can't.  It's not right." He kindly refuses the offer, pulling his hand from her grasp.

"Why not? You need me as much as I need you. Trust me, Luhan-ah. Please." She looks at him with longing. "I'm an old woman. Can't you at least do me this favor and stay by my side? You can even invite your friend."

And of course, Luhan caves in.

"Alright,..h-halmeoni."

"It's settled! We'll make it official this Saturday."

"S-Saturday?! I have to be at the palace that day-"

"Perfect, even better! I'll see you then." She says with a bright and grateful smile.

That was Luhan's second mistake.

 

 

----

I'm sorry about the slow updates! >.<"

But there are already quite a few subscribers! Thank you so much for showing interest in this story guys! <3 <3

Comment and subscribe! :D