Nine

My SM Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Have you ever thought of getting a plastic surgery?" My name roommate Stephanie asked. She's a Korean-born American who returned to Korea 2 days before me.

"That thought has never really crossed my mind," I replied honestly. "But I wouldn't mind getting one if the company wants me to."

"I would like to get my nose and jaw done."

"I wouldn't mind having a deeper eyelids either."

We were both in the same dance class. All of the SM trainees and artists are divided into Class A, B, C and D for dancing, singing and acting. Sometimes, when the debuted artists have no schedules, they would attend the practices for the trainees to improve their skills. Every one of us has a chance to be promoted from one class to the other if we received excellent result from our evaluation.

"The company would not pay for it, you know about that?" She said.

"Really? I thought the company pays for every cost incurred for their trainees?"

"Yes. I heard that some of the trainees took everything they can get out of SM and sued SM to terminate their contract after, citing 'unfair' and 'slave' contract. So there after, SM stopped extending all these medical benefits to their trainees. But their artists still get the benefits."

"That is so not fair for us. Because of their selfish actions and their juniors are punished for it."

"Yeah, life is never fair."

We both sighed and glanced around the SM cafeteria. I had just finished the first part of my daily schedule which was dance. I have had a passion for dance ever since I was 5 years old. I had experience in ballet, jazz and hiphop so dancing was less of a challenge for me.

"That's Ziying!" Stephanie waved at a new figure who entered the cafeteria. "Overhere!"

Ziying is my other roommate who is born and bred in Taiwan. I will rank her as the prettiest amongst the three of us and her features are sharp and entirely natural.

The cafeteria is located at the basement level of the SM Entertainment building. It has a snack bar that sells Korean street food, a normal counter that serves different cruisines each day and a counter dedicated for trainees and artists who have personalised diet plans.

There were assigned tables for trainees, artists and staffs. This is to minimised mingling across different ranks. Every one basically have work relationship with every one else in the company. It is nearly impossible to break the barriers of ranks and hierarchy.

"Hey, sorry I am late." Ziying said as she sat down across us. Even though she had never left Taiwan her entire life, she spoke perfect English with a perfect American accent that she has acquired from her private tutor in Taiwan. "Are we having the same thing again?" She sighed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter