Thirty NIne

My SM Journey
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

March 2016, a month later...

Spring is in full blossom now. The once bared and trees along the streets and in the parks are now covered with pink leaves and flowers. I looked out from my tinted car window of my company van to enjoy the scenary before me. Pink is my favourite colour and spring is my favourite season of the year.

I was lost in the beauty of the season when Sona suddenly asked me, "Chaeyeon-ah, do you feel sad to be working on your birthday?"

I looked blankly at her for a second as my brain processed her question. Birthday? Sad? Working?

"Of course not!" I smiled from ear to ear. "I am happy to be working even on my birthday. Can you imagine what will happen to me if I am stuck at home at this moment on my birthday with no work to do and no place to go and no one to celebrate with? I would be depressed."

"And I am glad to be out. It would be a pity if I am stuck at home right now. Look how beautiful the pink blossoms are. I wouldn't want to miss it." I continued as I looked out of the window once again, mesmerised by the spring season.

Then, I felt something heavy on my lap. I looked down at my knees and saw a pink rectangular box placed on my legs. Sona had put it there when I wasn't paying attention.

"Unnie, what is this?" I picked up the pink box.

"Your birthday present. From me. Open it and see if you like it." She grinned. "I have been wanting to give it to you since morning, but you were so busy with your stuff I didn't want to disturb you."

"Awwww unnie, really? You didn't have to!" I said without opening the present. "Unnie, you know much how I love you right? It doesn't matter whether you got me a present for my birthday or not, I will still love you as much. I wouldn't be who I am right now without you or my members."

She put her hand on my mouth to stop me from continuing. "Stop. Just open the present." She instructed.

I peeled off the first layer of pink wrapper carefully, not wanting to destroy the pretty wrapping. Under the pink wrapper was a black leather casing. The brand "Prada" was printed in gold at the top of the leather case.

"Oh my god. Unnie! Prada? Seriously? Where did you get that money to buy me this?" I exclaimed in shock as I opened the leather casing. Beneath the leather casing laid the most beautiful and exquisite wallet that I have ever owned.

"I am not so poor that I can't afford to buy you a Prada wallet. My dear, I have been working in this job way before you joined SM as a trainee. Of course I have more money than you do now. Just remember me when you strike big and strike rich next time." She joked. "Besides, your current wallet is too childish for your career. You need to own something that suited your image."

I placed the expensive wallet back into the black leather casing and passed the box to Sona, sadly. "Unnie, I cannot accept this. It's too expensive and besides, it will look better with you."

She pushed my hand away. "Don't be silly, my precious dongsaeng. I won't take it back. It's your birthday present. When a senior give you something, you should accept it gracefully."

"Are you sure?" I questioned carefully.

She nodded with a wide smile.

"Thank you unnie!" I leaned forward and gave her a big hug. "You have no idea how much you mean to me. Thank you for the present."

She patted my back and whispered, "you have no idea how much you meant to me either. We have been through too many ups and downs together. I really hope our friendship will last even when I am no longer your manager in the future."

"Me too." I said in a hush whisper as my eyes started to tear.

Although Sona was not the first person I met when I came to Korea to pursue my dream and she was also not my first manager, she was the only person there for me when I needed a companion. She was there for me when I took up the stress and responsibility to become the leader of Lady'S. She was there for me when Sehun dumped me. She was there for me during my darkest period at the hospital. She had never left my side since my debut.

"Aw, don't cry. You will mess up the make up that Ken took so long to do for you." She said as she dug out my childish Spongebob wallet from my duffle bag and began transfering the contents into the new wallet.

"My poor dongsaeng, you only have 2000 won in your wallet?" She shook her head before digging out some cash from her wallet and slot it into mine.

"Unnie-" I tried to stop her but she shushed me off instead.

"Just take it. I won't be following you around for your filming today. Treat it as your emergency cash in case you need it for anything." She said.

She peeked out of the tinted window as the car came to a stop. "We are here!" She announced as she pulled opened the van door, sending some chilly wind into the car. I shivered slightly before I threw on my new mint trench coat on top of my white straight cut dress. I wore a pink heel to match with my overalll outfit.

"Pastel pink, mint and orange. That's the colour for this season. Don't forget." My stylist, Ken reminded me this morning.

I followed Sona out of the car. We were standing right outsi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter