35.

Revolves Around You

Prompt: When things don't go the way he wants them to, Sehun finds solace in the little things; BFFs!Hunhan

Word count: 1081


The day starts off like any other. Silent phone with no notifications. Signs say she's on and Sehun knows that she's avoiding him. He texts her, a short "good morning" with a smiley face and turns his phone off. He knows there's going to be no reply anyway. Being left on read is the best thing that could happen to him with the little contact he's had with her.

He takes a shower first, letting the warm water wash away the dark memories of yesterday and the bitter taste of sadness on his lips. When he finishes, he stares at the person staring back at him in the mirror- one that he can't believe is himself. His hair is dark, damp, and dead, grown out long enough to cover his eyes. His eyes are red and eyebags a dark purple. 

Sehun knows there's no point in hoping for better. Their relationship is unsalvageable. The dark screen of the broken device is a reflection of himself- broken but still barely holding together. The little tug at his heart and the soft voice in his head tell him otherwise: there is something to look forward to. He turns his phone back on and finds a message from Luhan. A smile tugs at the corner of his lips and in his head, he is in heaven. 

"Good morning, Hun," it reads. 

Sehun feels like a weight has been taken off his shoulders, like he's been alleviated from all the troubles in the world. He calls, preferring to hear Luhan's voice rather than words on a broken screen.

"Good morning, hyung." 

"Coffee? The usual place."

"Yeah. I'll be there in five." 

"See you, Sehun-ah." 

Sehun hangs up first with his heart feeling light. His girlfriend- or who he still thinks is his girlfriend- is the least of his worries. For now, Luhan wants to drink coffee. 

The walk to the coffee shop is nice. There aren't many people on the streets yet and the sun is already out. He feels comfortable in his own skin for the first time in a while. Luhan is already at the coffee shop when Sehun gets there and they wave at each other through the glass window before Sehun enters. The scent of coffee engulfs him as he walks to the table Luhan is at. There is already a coffee cup on the table for him, a sugar packet and 2 small cream containers. Luhan knows his tastes better than he does. 

"You look less dead today," is Luhan's greeting for him. 

Sehun smiles and his lips. "I suppose that's better than yesterday." 

"Where were you last night? I came over but you weren't home," Luhan says. He sips his coffee and looks at Sehun over his steaming cup. "Were you...you know, looking for her again?" 

Sehun tears the sugar packet with a bitter smile on his lips. He tips it over and watches as the grains fall into the dark drink and disappear. "I guess that's not a great thing to do, huh?" 

"When are you going to realize that she played you?"

"But I-"

"I know, you love her, but put her behind you. Move on, she's not worth your time." Luhan takes another sip from his coffee. "There are better fish in the sea." 

Sehun stirs cream into his drink. "Hyung, I gave her my all. I don't know what went wrong this time." 

"They take advantage of all the things you give and then they get bored. That's how they are." 

Sehun shrugs. "You know how I am." 

"Yeah, it's it's one of your horrible, horrible qualities." Luhan smiles fondly. "You look like you need stress relief." 

Sehun looks up from stirring his drink and the two share a look. "After coffee?"

"I'll pay." 

"Cool." Sehun finishes his drink with a warm, satisfied feeling in his belly. As he and Luhan walk out of the coffee shop, he can't help but feel a sense of comfort and home wash over him. 

Sehun is a head or so taller than his hyung but Luhan makes him feel safe, sheltered. There is an invisible bubble around them that shields Sehun from the odd stares from the passersby. Luhan is his bubble. 

 

Sehun isn't even left on read this time. He gets a reply, though it's not a good one. 

"Who is this?"

Sehun has an inkling about what is about to occur but he forges on. 

"Hyemi?"

He waits with bated breath, hoping that it's not what he thinks the reply will be. 

"Who's that?"

He feels the phone slip out of his thin fingers, smacking on the floor. The screen is completely shattered, to the point where there's no way to even make out the words on the screen. 

It's Sehun's heart. But at least phones are replaceable. His heart isn't.

 

Luhan doesn't bother asking. He shows up at Sehun's doorstep with a coffee cup in one hand and a warm pastry in the other. Sehun isn't even surprised.

"Is it over?" 

Sehun cracks a small smile, though his eyes are watery and his lips tremble. He gingerly takes the pastry out of the bag and holds it in his hands. Luhan watches all of the movements with keen eyes. He takes in Sehun's disheveled appearance. 

"It's been over. I just never got the memo." Sehun takes a small bite of the pastry, sweet cream exploding in his mouth. "Guess I should have known though. I'm kind of dense."  These were his favorite. Luhan knew, of course he did. Hyemi didn't. 

"I think it's time I put a stop to your sadness, Sehun." Sehun glances up and sees Luhan staring at him through his bangs. Luhan takes a sip of his coffee and continues. "She's not worth it. She doesn't deserve someone as genuine and amazing as you are. Don't bother wasting your time thinking about someone who won't give the time of day to you. You're worth so much more than a girl who just wants attention." 

Sehun takes another bite of the pastry. "I really like these, hyung," he mumbles. 

"I know, Hun. I always do."

 

Luhan is always there for him. Whether it's to save him a cup of coffee with one sugar packet and two cream containers or to bring him home after a night of too much drinking. Luhan is always there to pick up the pieces of Sehun's broken phone screen and his heart. 

Luhan is all he needs. 


Lol I haven't updated in more than a year, sorry guys. There's been a lot happening in my life and so I just took a step back from AFF. Updates won't be coming regularly in the upcoming months but I'll try to update some small things here and there. Much love~