12.

Revolves Around You

Written because I haven't written top!sehun in a long time. A LONG time. 


Prompt: Jongin has a rocky relationship with his father. Sehun, his teacher, helps him patch up all the ripped pieces (and also falls in love along the way); top!sehun

Word count: 2,600


"Again, Jongin, really?" Luhan glances back at his 17-year-old son through the rearview mirror and sighs. "This is the third time this semester. You're lucky I'm on good terms with the principal. One more time and you'll be expelled." 

Jongin grunts, the beads of blood off his busted lip. 

"Jongin, listen to me!" 

"I'm listening!" 

Luhan steps on the brake, tires squealing in resistance. The cars behind him beep and Luhan can hear them scream profanities at him. "Get out." 

"Dad-" 

"Out." Luhan unlocks Jongin's door and throws Jongin's torn backpack at him. "And don't come home until you've shown me that you'll be better." 

"Dad, please," Jongin begs. 

"Out." 

 

"Mr. Oh?" 

"Jongin?" 

"Yeah, it's me." Jongin's tongue darts out to his lip again, the metallic taste of blood filling his taste buds. 

"Are you okay? Why are you still out so late?" 

"My dad kicked me out," Jongin explains. 

Sehun tries to see why Jongin, one of his best students, is looking at the floor and sounding so upset. "What's wrong?" he asks. 

Jongin lets out a shaky breath. "Do you know anywhere I can stay for tonight?" he asks. 

Sehun glances at his watch. "I'll just take you back to my house. You can't tell anyone though, or else I'll lose my job." 

Jongin finally looks up, smiling gratefully at his teacher. The smile soon turns into a wince once the skin of his lip stretches too much. "Thank you, Mr. Oh." 

"Don't worry about it," Sehun replies. He leads Jongin to his car and opens backseat door for him. "I can drop you off tomorrow morning wherever you need to go," he offers. 

"It's okay. I'll just walk home," Jongin says. 

"We'll figure it out tomorrow," Sehun affirms. He gives Jongin's face another look and glances at the torn backpack, bloody knees, and bruised arms. "We need to fix you up first." 

 

"Why did you get kicked out, Jongin?" Sehun asks, putting ice in a bag for Jongin's bruises. 

"My dad got mad at me." 

"Does this have to do anything with how you look at the moment?" Sehun tosses the bag over to the student sitting on the futon. 

"I got in a fight," Jongin mumbles, "and now he's mad at me." He puts the bag under his shirt and presses it against a bruise on his rib.

"Well, that makes sense. What kind of parent wouldn't be mad their child got in a fight?" Sehun sits down next to Jongin. There's a first aid kit laid out on the table and Sehun begins to rummage through, looking for supplies. "Is this a common occurrence? I see you come to class with bruises sometimes." 

"My dad is just angry all the time. He's angry and he's sad, so I can't really blame him for acting like that. He's been acting this way since Mom left." Jongin spits out the word "mom" as if it were poison. "Most of the time, he's cool. But sometimes, he lets his anger and sadness take over. The fights...I don't start them. But he thinks I do." Jongin winces when he shifts the bag to a different spot. "I just want him to be happy." 

 

Sehun pulls up to the sidewalk in front of the house and Jongin gets out. 

"See you on Monday, Jongin," he says, waving. 

"Thank you, Mr. Oh." 

"Take care." 

Jongin closes the door and walks up the steps. He presses the doorbell and waits for his dad to come open it. Luhan eventually does, five minutes later, and Sehun is still waiting, watching the exchange through tinted windows. 

"Learn?" Is the first thing Luhan says when he opens the door. 

Jongin nods. "I'm sorry," he mumbles. 

Luhan sighs, rubbing his tired face with his hands. He opens his arms and Jongin steps into them. "Don't fight anymore. If you do, I'll kick you out for sure." 

"I know. I'm sorry," Jongin mumbles, rubbing his cheek against the fabric of his father's shirt. "I won't do it again." 

Sehun smiles when he sees the door close. He turns the key and drives off. 

 

Sehun gets stuck between Jongin and his father's relationship again two months later. He finds Jongin curled up in front of a music store, crying his eyes out. Passersby give him weird looks, but don't do anything to soothe the crying boy.

Sehun finds the figure familiar and stops. Crouching down, he pokes the boy on the shoulder. He is surprised to see that the crying boy is no other than Jongin. Jongin, after making eye contact with his teacher, rubs his eyes and tries to act like he wasn't just crying moments earlier.

"You want to talk?" 

Jongin frowns and looks away. "No." 

"You don't want to, but you need to. Come on. I'll treat you to something." 

 

"What happened this time?"

"Dad got fired. Well, in his words, laid off. Same thing in my book. And when I tried talking to him about it, he told me to just worry about my own life and get a good job and find a good woman who won't leave me and stuff like that. He went on and on about how to make my life the best. It was all just things that he wanted to fix about his life." 

"What happened after?" Sehun questioned, his voice soft. 

Jongin stares at the dripping ice cream cone in his hand. "I told him to worry about his own life and move on from Mom." Jongin gets teary-eyed and looks away, blinking furiously. "He slapped me. He never did that before." 

Sehun hums, nodding his head slowly. "Are you going to go back home?" 

Jongin shrugs, the dripping ice cream off of his cone. "I might just wander around all night."

"Come to my place again. I'll talk to your father." 

Jongin shakes his head. "Don't do that." 

"Jongin, I'm your teacher. If something is bothering my students, I am obliged to help them fix it." 

"It's not bothering me," Jongin snaps. 

"Then why were you crying so much?"

 

"D-dad? Can-can we talk?" 

Sehun nods slowly, mouthing, keep going, as encouragement. 

"I just want to talk to you," Jongin continues. "I want to tell you I'm sorry. I just got angry. I'm just worried for you, Dad. You're down all the time and you drown yourself in work. Just get over her. She's not coming back. Don't chase after her. And I'm going to be selfish now. I'm still here. Take care of the son that's still living with you, under the same roof, eating the same food as you. Don't chase after the woman who threw you away like a piece of trash." Jongin's voice cracks halfway through his talk and Sehun pats Jongin's thigh comfortingly before leaving the room so that Jongin and talk to his dad alone. 

Sehun can't hear what Jongin and his father say over the phone, but he knows that whatever they did talk about made Jongin feel better. 

"Thank you, Mr. Oh. Thank you so much." 

Sehun smiles and ruffles Jongin's hair. "It was no problem. Fix everything?"

Jongin nods. "Almost everything. I have to go home now. Dad's coming to pick me up in front of the convenience store down the street." Jongin shrugs on his jacket and smiles gratefully. "Thanks again, Mr. Oh!"

"Do you want me to come with? It's pretty dark out." 

Jongin peeks outside, pushing the closed curtains aside and then nods meekly. "Can you?" 

"Of course." 

 

Luhan is confused when he sees his son walking down the street with some other man. He's slightly taller with obnoxiously blonde hair. Luhan raises an eyebrow. Who was this person?

Jongin knocks on the window of the passenger's side and opens the door. He's smiling and Luhan finds himself missing Jongin's happy side. 

"Get in, Jongin-ah." 

"No, you have to meet my teacher first." 

That's what he was. Jongin closes the door and Luhan unbuckles his seatbelt to get out. He bows slightly at Jongin's teacher and shakes the other man's hand firmly. "Thank you for taking care of him. I'm sorry to have bothered you." 

"It was nothing. I have to take care of my students, especially when one is as good as Jongin." Jongin's teacher smiles and Luhan finds it endearing how his eyes disappear and turn into little crescents. "I hope you've resolved everything. Jongin seemed really upset." 

Luhan nods and flashes Jongin an apologetic look. "We've talked and come up with some ways to get along better. Thank you for helping us with that." 

"You're welcome." Sehun  wraps his scarf tighter around his neck and puts his hands into his coat pockets. "It's getting late, you should get going. See you on Monday, Jongin." Sehun waves and Jongin waves back getting into the car and slamming the door shut.

Luhan stands awkwardly, not knowing what to say. 

"You should go too, Jongin's dad." 

"Luhan. My name's Lu Han," Luhan says, a bit too quickly. 

Sehun smiles again. "Sehun. Oh Sehun."

Luhan thinks the man's name fits him, tall, model-like face and body and all that jazz. Oh Sehun. Has a nice ring to it. 

"Well goodnight then." Sehun nods and turns around. His long legs carry him across the street in moments and soon he's out of sight.

Luhan feels something in his stomach. It's a familiar feeling that he hasn't felt in a long time and he's almost shocked. 

Butterflies.

 

"There's a parent teacher conference coming up, Dad." 

Luhan hums and scribbles something down the the legal pad. "When?" 

"Next week." Jongin plops down across his father at the dinner table, chewing on chips. "Mr. Oh wants to see you." 

Luhan looks up at the mention of Jongin's teacher. He had to admit the man was good looking. Okay, really good looking. Really, really good looking and Luhan had grew a tiny crush on him. Just a small, miniscule one that was only based on 5 minutes of meeting. 

"He wants to ask you if we're doing better. I mean, he can always ask me, but I think he just wants to see you." Jongin leans forward, propping his elbows on the table. "I think he has a thing for you Dad." 

Luhan frowns. "Stop talking nonsense, Jongin. That's just stupid. I'm your father and that's your teacher. Why are you coming up with such ridiculous things?" 

Jongin just smiles and leaves the room, potato chip bag in hand. 

 

Luhan meets Sehun a week later for the parent teacher conferences. Sehun is dressed formally, unlike that one night, and Luhan has these inner "fangirl" feelings when he sees Sehun erasing the whiteboard after class and his shirt rises up ever so slightly. Totally not checking the teacher out. 

Jongin is smiling next to him for no apparent reason and Luhan pinches his son's side before stepping into the classroom. 

"Mr. Oh." 

"Hi, come in. I'm almost done." Sehun rearranges the papers on his table and pulls out a chair for Luhan and another for Jongin. "Sit." He goes to his filing cabinet and takes out a folder. "I have Jongin's best works here." He slides it across the desk and Luhan opens it. He expects to see Jongin's messy handwriting and Sehun's red marks all over the page, but he is pleasently surprised. Neat handwriting with no red marks, only and "100" at the top of the page and a smiley face. 

"He's a really good student," Sehun comments as he watches Luhan flip through the folder. "Sometimes gets distracted, but always comes back and gives it his all." Sehun smiles. "You should be proud of your son." 

And Luhan is. 

 

"Mr. Oh. Can I ask you a question?" 

Sehun nods. 

"What do you think about my dad?" 

Sehun laughs. "That's a weird question. Well, seeing as you're happier now, I guess he's a better person?" 

"No, I meant to you. Like, do you think he's good looking?" 

Sehun shakes his head. "Goodness, Jongin. Get out of my classroom."

Jongin grins. "Is that a yes?" 

"I can give you detention!" Sehun warns with a smile playing on his lips. "Go home." 

Jongin picks up his backpack and slings it over his shoulders. His eyes dart towards the door and he leans across Sehun's desk to whisper in his ear. "I think Dad has a thing for you." 

"Jongin, out!" 

Jongin laughs as he skips out of the class. Sehun shakes his head at the boy's behavior. Jongin is a lot more lively and happy after his relationship with his father had been fixed. He also had begun to talk to Sehun a lot more, coming to class early and staying after. All the topic, oddly, were about his father. No, not "We did this and that yesterday" but "He's been feeling lonely. Can you come over for dinner?" 

Sehun can't really do those things, being Jongin's teacher and all, but Jongin always brings leftovers from the night prior for Sehun the next morning. 

Sehun doesn't do much about it. He accepts and he relays his thanks to Luhan through Jongin. He actually likes it all until Jongin comes up to him one day and says explicitly, "Can you ask my Dad out?" 

Sehun almost has a heart attack and he slams the door closed behind Jongin. "What the heck are you saying, Jongin? Are you mental? I can lose my job!" 

"I'm being serious, Mr. Oh." 

"What?" 

"I know it's weird, but I really think of you as a father figure." 

"What makes you think that I should ask your father out just because of that?" 

Jongin looks down at the floor at his scuffed shoes. "I just think it'd be nice if you could be my other parent. I don't know. You're just someone I look up to." 

Sehun purses his lips together. "Jongin, I can't, alright? As much as I like you and your father, I just can't."

Except he does. Months and months later. 

 

"Does that mean I can call you Dad now?" 

Sehun smacks Jongin upside the head. "Shut it." 

Jongin grins cheekily and nudges Sehun's side. "Thanks so much, Mr. Oh. You've helped me a lot." 

Sehun smiles and says nothing. He just pats Jongin's head and walks into the kitchen. Luhan is fiddling with the dials on the oven when they come in. Sehun washes his hands at the sink and begins to set the table. 

"Jongin, help him," Luhan says. 

Jongin grumbles but does as he is told. 

Luhan strides over from the oven and kisses Sehun briefly on the cheek. "Thanks for coming over." 

"It's nothing." Sehun sets the plate down on the table and watches as Jongin sets the utensils down. He pinches Luhan's side gently and nods his head towards the living room. Luhan gets the message and follows after Sehun. "He asked me if he could call me dad now" Sehun whispers. 

"Really?" Luhan seems almost scared. "He's not weirded out or anything?" 

"I don't think so," Sehun replies. "Besides, he wanted us to get together, remember?" Sehun pulls Luhan into a hug and rubs his neck. "Don't worry too much about it. We'll tell him slowly over dinner." 

"Tell who what slowly over dinner?" Jongin peeks his head into the living room and glances back and forth between his father is his ex-teacher.  

"Uh..." Luhan looks up at Sehun, who galnces back at him with a reassuring smile on his face. The way his eyes crinkle still hasn't changed after almost two years. "We're getting married?"